Linux-Advocacy Digest #786, Volume #33           Sun, 22 Apr 01 18:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Linux advocates posting from Windos 98 (what to do with them) (Donn Miller)
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("JS PL")
  Re: bank switches from using NT 4 (mlw)
  Re: bank switches from using NT 4 ("mmnnoo")
  Re: What's the point ("Mart van de Wege")
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day. (Michael
Ejercito)
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (Eric Remy)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("billh")
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("billh")
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("billh")
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("billh")
  Re: Y'all should be happy about this (or maybe not, I dunno) (At150bogomips)
  Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:3 NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN) (Michael
Ejercito)
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft (Bernd Paysan)
  Re: bank switches from using NT 4 ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Windows 2000 Rocks! (At150bogomips)
  Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure (Chad Everett)
  Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure (Chad Everett)

From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux advocates posting from Windos 98 (what to do with them)
Date: 22 Apr 2001 15:50:13 -0500

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Clinton committed treason on such a massive level that he has
> NOT ONLY all of the inhabitants of North America for the next
> several decades, but many many other nations as well.

I think Linux advocates who create spin and propaganda that they alter their
headers when they really are posting from Windows 98 should be hung by their
testicles.

From: "JS PL" <hi everybody!>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 17:02:01 -0400

"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Of course.  That's why so many people buy them, because they want to be
> >> appalled.
> >
> >And 400 years ago, the entire population of the world thought it was
> >flat. Your point again?
>
> 400 years ago, if anyone thought the earth was flat, he was incredibly
> ignorant.
>
> After all, the world had been circunnavigated decades before.

So says you! Charles Johnson begs to differ....
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/fe-scidi.htm

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 17:06:59 -0400

Mike wrote:

> First, there's this:
>
> "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Chad Myers wrote:
> > >
> > > When I was in consulting, several banks in our town converted from a
> > > Unix/Novell/OS2 solution to a stratight NT solution. Later, when Win2K
> came out,
> > > they migrated to that to make their already functional solution even
> that
> > > much better.
> > > It just makes the most sense.

I didn't write anything in the previous paragraph. However, nothing in it is an
insult.

> And notably this:
>
> > An article that claims someone is moving to an MS solution is less
> valuable
> > than one which claims they are dropping the MS solution. The logic is that
> one
> > is based on an estimate, and the other is based on experience.

None of which is an insult, it is a logical conclusion based on experience.
Feel free to disagree, and post why you think it is incorrect.

> And then, there's this:
>
> "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Jon Johansan wrote:
> > >
> > > "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:9btjqu$h5d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > have

> > > Of course he didn't - he's a blind zealot
> >
> > Ahh yes, if one can't win an argument by fact or knowledge, the idiot
> resorts
> > to insulting the opponent.
>
> I'm confused. Who's insulting who here? Who's the idiot? Isn't the pot
> calling the kettle black???

No one was actually called an idiot, if you, the reader, read the sentence as a
whole, you must conclude that it is completely neutral. There is no name
calling what so ever. It is merely an observation of the behavior of idiots in
general.

If one wants to consider my sentence simultaneously with the previous post's
sentence, and follow the logic of my post, to conclude that someone is an
idiot, then one is free to conclude what ever they wish, but it is not me who
who made the connection.

--
I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.
========================

------------------------------

From: "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:07:15 GMT

In article <3ae31a96$0$2383$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jon Johansan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Wade Blazingame" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:33AE6.6699$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> > http://www.vnunet.com/News/1120413
>>
>> Not sure what vnunet is, but the fact that it got through a
>> 20-paragraph review of Windows XP without a SINGLE MENTION of product
>> activation, which has been one of the most hottest issues surrounding
>> XP, is a clear tip-off that someone at vnu loves MS.
>
> You should read more of vnunet - they cover every major OS and are
> DEFINATELY no fan of MS.
>
> However, product activation in XP is ONLY an issue with those that
> intend to bootleg it. It is of NO issue whatsoever to those that
> purchase legitimate copies.
>
> I've been working with the beta and it continues to amaze me how many
> people have the operation of activation completely and categorically
> wrong. I'll repeat: product activation is ONLY a concern to those that
> bootleg XP - it means nothing to legitimate users. (small tidbit pirates
> already know: enterprise versions of XP come with a "magic" key that
> bypasses activation).

Well, it is not a concern to me, but only because I will definitely
never buy XP.  Firstly, linux meets all my needs other than
video games.  Second, I haven't bought any MS OS since Win '95,
so I've fallen off the upgrade treadmill and it would cost a fortune
to get back on.  Third, I've reinstalled my copy of Win '95 probably
10 or 15 times since I got it, due to hardware upgrades, drive
repartitioning, and, most of all, Windows inevitably falling apart
after installing and uninstalling a few too many prorams.  Somehow
I don't relish the thought of paying Microsoft for virtually no rights of
property - other than the right to call up and beg to be allowed to install
the product (please.... just once more?  I promise I'll take better care
of my registry this time!!)

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 23:18:00 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Mart van de Wege"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I *have* to interject here, because I get a little tired of the constant
> RH bashing that is going on. This is *not* an RH thing; Debian
> configures X the same way, using XF86Config-4. The point? It allows you
> to install X4.0 in parallel wiht X3.3.6, a great advantage when you're
> trying to upgrade, or just don't know whether or not your graphics
> hardware is 100% supported by X4.0.
> Note that this is not a personal attack, but in my opinion RH gets a lot
> of undeserved flak, just because they are the most visible distro as
> market leaders.
>
> Mart

For the record, to those that replied to my original post: I used to be a
very happy RH6.2 user before I switched to Debian, and I was actually
pleasantly surprised at the similarities between the distros. My only
complaint with RH was that it had a bit of a cobbled-together feel to me,
and the fact that rpm started getting on my nerves. Not that dpkg
(Debian's package manager) is any better, but as stated many times by
other Debian users, its the apt frontend to the package manager which
makes for a great user experience.

Mart
--
Write in C, write in C,
Write in C, yeah, write in C.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Ejercito)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:21:43 GMT

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 07:17:21 +1000, Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Michael Ejercito wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 06:08:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> (silverback) wrote:

>> >yup fucking raygun did it in Central America. Tricky Dick in Chile.
>>   Proof?
>
>The U.S. admits that to killing Allende of Chile.
   Was the killing ordered by the government?

 Michael

------------------------------

From: Eric Remy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 17:28:17 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> >And 400 years ago, the entire population of the world thought it was
>> >flat. Your point again?
>>
>> 400 years ago, if anyone thought the earth was flat, he was incredibly
>> ignorant.
>>
>> After all, the world had been circunnavigated decades before.

>... and that information just flew to how many people? The ananlogy
>still works. Add  100 years.

Still doesn't.  The Greeks knew the Earth was round.  Eratosthenes got
the circumference to within 15% of the actual value.

Ironically, a set of experts convened by King Ferdinand turned Columbus
down since they knew by Eratosthenes's measurements that he couldn't
possibly make it to India.  Columbus didn't believe the measurement and
made his own, incorrect one.  Had North America not existed he would
have died.

--
Eric Remy.  Chemistry Learning Center Director, Virginia Tech
"I don't like (quantum mechanics),   | How many errors can

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:36:56 GMT

"Roberto Alsina"

> >Interesting. So you belive that a soldier that initiates a contact with
> >the enemy in a war and kills said enemy in the process is a murderer.
> >Does that mean he also has to be tried for war crimes?
>
> No, I think he should be tried for murder.
> Of course if he is defending himself from an agression it
> may count as self defense.

And if that soldier's nation is the aggressor and wins the war, there will
not be a trail.  It's the world's reality vs. your fantasy.

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:38:53 GMT

"Roberto Alsina"

> Sadly, we have been, as a society, convinced by the men with
> guns that they have a right to kill.

"We"?  For whom do you think you speak?

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:39:54 GMT

"Roberto Alsina"

> >And the point remains.  You are wrong to say killing in war is wrong.
>
> I see proof by blatant assertion is still considered logic by some.

And the point yet remains.

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:41:44 GMT

"Roberto Alsina"

> >> I find the scriptures simply an amusing mass of incoherence used
> >> by many to justify their irrational beliefs
> >
> >LOL!!!  Perhaps this explains why you chose to use Scriptures to bolster
> >your argument.
>
> No, it doesn´t. But hey, if you believe you comprehend me, and
> that makes you happy, who am I to deny you that harmless fun?

That's rich!  This from the one who claims he knows the motives of others.

> >  That's rich!  LOL!!!  You're a man condemned by your own
> >words.
>
> You mean I will go to hell?

LOL!!!  You are not very bright either.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (At150bogomips)
Date: 22 Apr 2001 21:46:43 GMT
Subject: Re: Y'all should be happy about this (or maybe not, I dunno)

Three points:
1) It is also useful to take calculate the donation as a percentage of
discretionary income.  Discretionary income (income after mandatory
expenses--tithe (for Jews/Christians/Muslims), taxes, food, clothing, shelter,
et al.) is generally a smaller portion of total income for lower income persons
(unless the tax rates are extremely high).

2) Generating publicity for a donation can be non-selfish if it is intended to
draw attention to the need and/or the charitable organization.

3) When the donation is MS software (which has negligible incremental costs),
the valuation becomes suspicious.  Furthermore, should not _educational_
computers include a compiler (or at least PERL cgi-bin tools).  This is also
questionable in that it tends to encourage usage of the software more
effectively than an equivalent expenditure on advertising.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Ejercito)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:3 NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:46:57 GMT

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 05:39:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(silverback) wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:37:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael
>Ejercito) wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 05:57:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>(silverback) wrote:

>>>thats easy just read one of fraud's posts.
>>   I did. And you are the village idiot.
>>

>no that would be you junior.
   Prove it, gdybozo52150.

 Michael

------------------------------

From: Bernd Paysan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 23:49:52 +0200

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> Texas Instruments (first IC chip)
> Intel   (first Microprocessor)

TI had the first microprocessor, although the 4004 - half a year later -
was the first with obvious market success.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:44:12 GMT

"mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7KHE6.75389$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <3ae31a96$0$2383$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jon Johansan"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Wade Blazingame" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:33AE6.6699$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Not sure what vnunet is, but the fact that it got through a
> >> 20-paragraph review of Windows XP without a SINGLE MENTION of product
> >> activation, which has been one of the most hottest issues surrounding
> >> XP, is a clear tip-off that someone at vnu loves MS.
> >
> > You should read more of vnunet - they cover every major OS and are
> > DEFINATELY no fan of MS.
> >
> > However, product activation in XP is ONLY an issue with those that
> > intend to bootleg it. It is of NO issue whatsoever to those that
> > purchase legitimate copies.
> >
> > I've been working with the beta and it continues to amaze me how many
> > people have the operation of activation completely and categorically
> > wrong. I'll repeat: product activation is ONLY a concern to those that
> > bootleg XP - it means nothing to legitimate users. (small tidbit pirates
> > already know: enterprise versions of XP come with a "magic" key that
> > bypasses activation).
> >

> Well, it is not a concern to me, but only because I will definitely
> never buy XP.  Firstly, linux meets all my needs other than
> video games.

So your needs are a mostly unusable OS with half-baked apps and
a buggy, if not completely broken UI? Cool!

> Second, I haven't bought any MS OS since Win '95,
> so I've fallen off the upgrade treadmill and it would cost a fortune
> to get back on.

Poppycock. You've obviously never tried NT or let alone Win2K, so you
really don't know what your talking about. Win9x sucks, big time. NT
and 2K are far superior to anything else out there on the market,
includig previous MS oses. You so realize that NT/2K are of a completely
different code base and are not the Win16-based crap that Win9x, are,
right?

> Third, I've reinstalled my copy of Win '95 probably
> 10 or 15 times since I got it, due to hardware upgrades, drive
> repartitioning, and, most of all, Windows inevitably falling apart
> after installing and uninstalling a few too many prorams.

Right, and this is why Win9x sucks. Win2K doesn't have this problem.

-c

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (At150bogomips)
Date: 22 Apr 2001 21:58:27 GMT
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Rocks!

One feature W2K probably lacks is virtual window management.  (Of course, video
card and monitor producers probably like this fact.)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: 22 Apr 2001 16:41:51 -0500

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 15:54:03 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Chad Everett wrote:

>> >And lets not forget the designs for warheads to put into those missiles.
>> >
>> >Klinton should be tried for treason, and upon being found guilty,
>> >hung by his testicle and then shot.
>> >

>> Of course, that sort of punishment is unconstitutional in the US.
>
>How so?? I don't see any references in the U.S. constitution about
>testicles.
>Klinton is still being pursued, now that he can't kontrol the justice
>dept.
>How much did Klinton give away to the chinese??  Quite a bit!
>This may cost everybody in the future.  Even other innocent countries
>not even connected to this.

I am reasonably certain that any court in the US would rule that "hanging
by the testicles" is either cruel or unusual, probably both, and hence
not allowed under our constitution.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 22 Apr 2001 16:42:38 -0500

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:22:19 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Chad Everett wrote:

>> >And lets not forget the designs for warheads to put into those missiles.
>> >
>> >Klinton should be tried for treason, and upon being found guilty,
>> >hung by his testicle and then shot.
>> >

>> Of course, that sort of punishment is unconstitutional in the US.
>
>OK...tried for treason, found guilty, and shot.

Much better.  Thank you.