From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:06:27 -0400

Ray Chason wrote:

> "Zorostorer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Can I run commercial level applications like Softimage 3d, Protel, Orcad,
> >Cadence, Hudini commercial applications on Linux (of course there are 100
> >more commercial apps i could mention)?   Can I play games like Homeworld,
> >Starcraft, < and the list goes on> on Linux?  I would like to run these
> >without capatablily problems and configuration script mayhem, as i'm sure
> >you will mention wine or VMware, both of which don't diliver 100%
> >capatability, reliability or -- more importantly -- speed.  So, no, it's not
> >FUD, dude.
>
> About all I keep Windoze around for is games; and the game I play
> most often happens to be Nethack, anyway.  Yeah, I know, Nethack
> isn't an immersive FPS; but it has developed in directions that the
> big-name FPSes have ignored.  In what other game can you do battle
> with hundreds of different monsters, choose from dozens of weapons
> and armors, consult the Oracle, get laid, go shopping, dodge the law,
> find kick-ass artifact weapons, go to hell and back, and pray for
> help when all else fails?
>
> Beyond games, if you insist on running *some particular* app, you
> may be stuck with Windoze.  But if *any* app of a given type will
> suit your needs, you can probably find one or six for Linux.

And, as noted, the old games like nethack and rogue, which can even
be played on a dumb ascii terminal are far more challenging.

> --
>  --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
>          PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc
>                             Delenda est Windoze

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:09:27 -0400

MH wrote:

> "Michael Serdar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:fVsE6.2669$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Osugi Sakae" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > The fact remains that they are stealing. Yet, somehow, companies keep
> > > making profits. MS in particular keeps posting record profits. For
> > > something that anyone can copy?
> >
> > I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that most software
> > profit comes from sales to business.  Average Joe Homeuser can get away
> with
> > running his pirated copy of Office, but if a company has employees using
> > their systems, they run the risk of being reported to the authorities if
> > they run illegal software.
> >
> > Also, do you think the price of $500 for Office is really directed toward
> > the average homeuser?  MS knows what its doing, obviously (Bill Gates is
> the
> > richest man in history) and they know they can make more money selling
> their
> > software as being high-end and marketed towards businesses as opposed to
> > average Joe Homeuser who's just going to copy it from his friends anyway.
>
> And this is very often an unmentioned fact in the great 'software for
> windows vs. software for linux' argument. I don't think it is a stretch to
> claim that many home users run cd-r versions of MS office, and any other
> major brand of software you care to mention.  They don't have to take the
> risk of purchasing from an online pirates anymore, they just get it via
> cd-writer. Albeit illegal, the fact remains that when price is taken out of
> the equation, which in this case it certainly is, game over.

However, with activation codes, MS is re-introducing price into
the picture.

And that will be their downfall.
Hhehehe

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:09:59 -0400

pookoopookoo wrote:

> > I don't know what you did but my Mandrake install took 376Mb. Yes
> manadrake
> > comes with 2Gb of programs. But you don't need to install it all.  How
> many
> > people need 6 Newsreads, 5 Email program, 3 office apps, 6 desktop
> > enivoments. Just install what you need and what you like.
>
> How do I pick though? There's thousands of packages in there. I'm not a
> developer, if I uncheck development tools, will it still install correctly?

Of course.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:13:23 +1200

Have you ever thought that most of the cost involved could be due to the
fact that it is a fixed environment, requiring admins to be both skilled
in NT and UNIX matainance.  Had it been a purely UNIX environment I
would be interested in the costs involved.

Matthew Gardiner

Jon Johansan wrote

--
Disclaimer:

I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:13:13 -0700

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 06:02:37 GMT,
 Pete Goodwin, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>Tom Wilson wrote:
>
>>> How do you work that out?
>>
>> RTFM. (Or in this case RTFHT) Granted, they could have made X
>> configuration a bit easier. I've yet to see a decent utility for it.
>> SuSE's SAX and SAX2 are hardly what I would call adequate. Xconfigurator
>> is next to worthless.
>
>So much for the tools then.
>
>> Long enough to bump Windows NT from every server at the office. :)
>
>Every server, maybe. Every desktop? I doubt it.
>
>> No liscense fees and no BSODs. Phoenominal uptime (Years). Sad note: On
>> Saturday night, some idiot rammed a utility pole (sheared it completely
>> off at the ground actually) and killed power. We saw the damage was bad
>> enough that itd' take at least 10 or 12 hours to restore it. Decided to
>> down them all. Some of those boxes had just passed the three year mark,
>> too!
>
>What good is it if it works brilliantly as a server but fails abismally as
>a desktop?

Works great for me, my wife, and about a dozen friends that I know of.
Beats the hell out of WinXX IMHO. If you prefer windows, why not use it?
alternatively you could try to improve linux, if you're not a programmer, then
you could help others do so. You complain a lot, but you only seem to do so in
the *advocacy groups or on alt.linux.sux, why is that?
 This is why most think you are a troll, not because you have "issues" with
linux, but because you are not serious about trying to *fix* them.
 If you want help, ask for it, on the help newsgroups. You will get it. Except
of course, I don't think you do *get* it... too bad, so sad.

Linux, like anything else in the world, is not perfect. The great thing is that
it is improving so well and so fast.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: Why linux is good and a complaint about RedHat
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:41:23 -0700

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 07:05:40 GMT,
 Ace Jones, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>Matthew Gardiner wrote:
>> True.  I am running SuSE Linux Pro and compared to Redhat Linux 7, it is
>> a god-send, easy to use, setup, modify, great manuals, 90 days of tech
>> support and free updates for ever.
>
>Are the updates pretty easy to install also?
>
>I'm contemplating moving over to SuSE from Caldera only because it's taking
>Caldera so long to put out a real distribution with 2.4.  SuSE had it
>practically right away, which tells me they're on top of things.

I use SuSE and only have a couple of complaints, but they are big enough for me
to consider switching to debian (even though it is not without it's flaws.)
SuSE mangles the names of rpm packages, so that gnome-libs becomes gnlibs, and
gnome-libs-devel becomes gnlibsd. This makes upgrading with say, helix-code
stuff, a friggin nightmare, even their "SuSE" packages. They also do things
like put readline libs in the bash rpm, making upgrading readlines a whole
nother pain in the @$$.
 Overall, if you are going to run a standard desktop or server, and only
upgrade with SuSE supplied packages. It's a great distro. If you like
tinkering, or are likely to want to upgrade faster than SuSE will, then it's a
pain. There are also a couple of circular dependencies.

anyway, I will be going to Debian on my new laptop, I might switch all the
systems on the boat to Debian for consistancy. (100baseT network on the new
sailboat yeah! now for the 2.4GHz wireless link to land...)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: Y'all should be happy about this (or maybe not, I dunno)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:45:00 -0700

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 07:18:17 GMT,
 mmnnoo, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>The article says in 2000 Gates at 53 billion and donated 1 million.
>Gee, 1 million is alot - unless you have another 52.999 billion left.
>A million is 1/1000 of 1 billion, so percentagewise that's the equivalent
>of someone who'd managed to save up 1 million giving away 20
>in a year.  I'm not saying 1 million isn't alot to donate, it's just
>amazing how much 50 billion is.
>
>1/50,000
>
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Brent R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>> http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/04/22/stinwenws01023.html
>>
>> Maybe this is the beginning of the end. As much as I spend a lot of time
>> defending MS in here, I'd still love to see BG go. MS software is indeed
>> getting worse, it's time for new direction (I'd also like to see
>> crome-dome go too).

Not to downplay Gates' charitable constributions, but the usual procedure in
these things, is to donate the money to a trust, which dispenses the cash and
you get the writeoff, and the interest back... Or the cash stays yours, and you
donate the interest, and get the writeoff for that. It's a (tax) shell game
with positive PR value.  Like buying an expensive painting, 'donating' it to a
museum, then 'dontating' the space to display it, in your office building or
other puplically accessible area.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
gnu.emacs.help,alt.religions.vim,alt.religion.emacs,fj.editor.vi,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Tired of XEMACS, moving to VIM
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:17:15 -0400

those who know me have no need of my name wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> divulged:
>
> >dd if=/dev/hda | sed -f sedscriptfile | dd of=/dev/hda
>
> a script file?  surely you'd type the script.
>
> dd if=/dev/hda | sed -f /dev/tty | dd of=/dev/hda

ahh.. yes.  :-)

silly me

> --
> okay, have a sig then

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:18:37 +1200

> However, product activation in XP is ONLY an issue with those that intend to
> bootleg it. It is of NO issue whatsoever to those that purchase legitimate
> copies.
>
> I've been working with the beta and it continues to amaze me how many people
> have the operation of activation completely and categorically wrong. I'll
> repeat: product activation is ONLY a concern to those that bootleg XP - it
> means nothing to legitimate users. (small tidbit pirates already know:
> enterprise versions of XP come with a "magic" key that bypasses activation).

I agree with your statement regarding the activation.  I have been using
commercial UNIX's for years, and most software, such as SUN Forte
Developer require registration as each installation is node locked,
however, in a large organisation, there is a floating license which
bypasses the activation.  Maybe Microsoft is learning yet again from the
UNIX world.  I do however have a concern with its salability, in a small
specialised market this sort of licensing is easy to police, however,
imagine call centres bombarded with thousands of calls per minute of
people pissed off waiting 20 minutes for service.

Matthew Gardiner

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Rocks!
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:24:24 +1200

Nils Zonneveld wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> >  I have the balls to use my real email address, do you?
> >

> You do attract a lot of spam that way. I'm in the position to know since
> I use my real email addy too (silly me).
>
> Nils

I don't, because I track the bastard down, and then tell the ISP.

Matthew Gardiner

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 02:15:06 GMT

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:44:12 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >"mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >
> >So your needs are a mostly unusable OS with half-baked apps and
> >a buggy, if not completely broken UI? Cool!
> >

> You misread his post.  He said he didn't need Windows XP.

You're quick, did you think of that all on your own?

-c

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:30:39 +1200

WHo is turing?

Matthew Gardiner

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 02:16:38 GMT

"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9bvpod$b19gk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers wrote:
>

> > "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:7KHE6.75389$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Well, it is not a concern to me, but only because I will definitely
> > > never buy XP.  Firstly, linux meets all my needs other than
> > > video games.
> >
> > So your needs are a mostly unusable OS with half-baked apps and
> > a buggy, if not completely broken UI? Cool!
> >

> NO - he said he'd stopped using windows.

Oh my gosh! Two in a row! Do you guys get your jokes from the same
website?

> > Poppycock. You've obviously never tried NT or let alone Win2K, so you
> > really don't know what your talking about. Win9x sucks, big time. NT
> > and 2K are far superior to anything else out there on the market,
> > includig previous MS oses. You so realize that NT/2K are of a completely
> > different code base and are not the Win16-based crap that Win9x, are,
> > right?
> >

> This makes sense - someone sells you a faulty product so you decide to
> replace it then buy a new version of same product from same company.

It's not the same product, though. Microsoft had a bad past with Win9x,
but, it proves itself again, ignorant folk like you refuse to take a look
at Win2K because you think it's just like Win9x, when it isn't. You only
serve to embarass yourself when you attempt to talk intelligently.

-c