From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Rocks!
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:19:42 -0400

Nigel Feltham wrote:

> > You do attract a lot of spam that way. I'm in the position to know since
> > I use my real email addy too (silly me).
> >

> Yes - If onty one in 100 of those get rich quick chain letter emails worked
> and I was stupid enough to reply to them then I would probably be a
> millionaire by now.

Glutton for punishment, are you?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:23:14 -0400

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 12:46:06 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Matthew Gardiner wrote:
>
> [NAMBLA]
>
> > > What has a group of sick weirdos have to do with legal sexual relations
> > > between two people of the same sex?
>
> > Because they think that your young lad is fair game and also think that
> > it should be made legal.
>
> Maybe now would be a good time to point out how many heteros are charged
> with child molestation every year.  Most of them think your young lass
> is fair game and it should be legal.  Does that have anything to do with
> the discussion, or is it just a diversion?

And *How* *many* heterosexual child-molestation organizations are there?

> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| To Whom You Are Speaking
>  -| http://www.haucks.org/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:23:36 +1200

pookoopookoo wrote:

> > And I have a sort of strange setup - i am using the GeForce2 MX in twin
> view
> > mode - so that my rez is 2048x768 on dual LCD monitors...
>
> Really? What brand of monitor? Which games support 2 monitors? Are they both
> displaying the same image (useless unless you want crossed eyeballs...=) or
> are you setting them up for front/back  or side / side / middle?

No, he has more I tell you more! *laughs like an insane professor*

He probably comes home from working at KFC and jumps into his virtual
world where he can escape the reality of being a bitch for Colonel
Sanders, and turn into some super hero the "virtual world" (aka net
games) will respect, yet his own pairs just mock him, even his own
mother! LOL!.  Terrible when a persons life is totally dominated my
computer to such an extent that they shell out thousands on unnecessary
crap.

Matthew Gardiner
--
Disclaimer:

I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:25:21 -0400

Nigel Feltham wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
>
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1284000/1284054.stm
> >
> > Although not incredibly indepth, it does cover the main issues
> > concerning customers. I would not be surprised that Microsoft first
> > starts off offering gimicks like "online storage" then gradually moves
> > from that to "unless you purchase this service you will not be able to
> > use your computer".  I would not be surprised if it did happen. Well, at
> > least when I pay $NZ189 for my copy of SuSE Linux, it is just a one off
> > payment.
> >

> If a company with 100 PC's wants to buy enough copies of SUSE to legally
> install it on all their machines it's still the same one-off payment as one
> copy can be installed on 100 or even more machines. Think how much it would
> cost to legally install even MS's cheapest OS on all 100 machines - one
> copy needed for each machine.

Plus the overhead of keeping track of all those "certificates of authenticity"
less the BSA drag you into court for a crime you didn't commit.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan.  (was Re:
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:26:48 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 19:09:35 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
>
> > Are you aware that, according to feminist doctrine, ***ALL*** sex
> > between men and women (including consensual sex between a husband
> > and wife) is rape.
>
> Nonsense. It's true that there are feminists this extreme, but it's
> certainly not true that all feminists are like that. That's sort of

That's their official doctrine now.

> like saying that all conservatives hold similar views to Pat Robertson.

> --
> Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> elflord at panix dot com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:28:46 -0400

Parg2000 wrote:

> >Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
> >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Donovan Rebbechi)
> >Date: 4/22/01 6:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> >
> >On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 01:24:18 GMT, Brent R wrote:
> >> jet wrote:
> >>>
> >> I think she was complaining that Lara Croft represented unrealistic body
> >> proportions and that that somehow prevented young girls from entering
> >> into Math/Science.
>
> {Parg}  I'm not sure that today's young girls would be put off of engineering
> by that sort of figure, unless the rest of society is also telling them they
> cannot achieve.
> >
> >Both observations are indeed correct -- not many young girls enter math
> >and science[1], and Lara does have unusual body proportions. But the link
> >between the two ? Suffice it to say that not many young girls entered>math or
> science *before* Lara either (-;
> >
> >[1]    This isn't quite true anyway. How many women in the average biology or
> >chem class, for example ? It's mostly math/physics/comp-sci/engineering
> >that are male-dominated.
>
> {Parg}  Back in the late 70s I worked for a company where they were training Co
> technicians in [at that time] fairly state of the art computer systems....all
> on a main frame with a variety of networks.  BTW....that was NOT my job there.
> <G>  A young woman was hired for this unit, however, and she had some hands on
> experience with the old computer system, that took, literally four floors of
> space!  Anyway,  she quit the team after working there for only a few days, and
> went back to the job she had at a less sophisticated station.  At the time, I
> had no idea why she quit, but a couple of months  later, I saw her at a company
> function and she told me.   She was scared.  Where she had to work was a room
> full of men she didn't know, and when she arrived there on her second day of
> work, they had put some sort of game on....something about raping and scalping
> an Indian woman.   I guess the guys all thought that was pretty cute.   BTW, I
> failed to mention;  the girl was part American Indian.  It was obvious to her
> they didn't want her there.

Be aware that Parg sits at home, sponging off of the labor of her husband,
whiling away the hours on USENET bemoaning the "evil patriarchy"...which
she then calls upon to enforce all of her man-hating laws.

> >--
> >Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> >elflord at panix dot com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Lev Lenovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Buy Microsoft stock!!!
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:38:15 +0100

> As usual, you people would rather call "Conspiracy" rather than logically
> look at the issue.
>
> That Windows PC probably comes with:
>
> 1)  A winmodem that is most likely not supported under Linux
> 2)  A cutting edge video card that isn't supported yet by the shipping Red
> Hat version Dell is using
> 3)  A motherboard that may not be supported fully by the version of Red
> Hat Dell is using

With the exception of the winmodem ($10 - $15 more for a decent modem)
that's a heap of bullshit.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>but the fact is that if you want to buy
> Linux from DELL, it is cheaper to pay for Win system and to install Linux
by
> yourself.
Cheaper not to buy a PC from DELL at all and who would want to anyway
unless they wanted to pay a large sum of money just to have the letters D E
L L on the case.
Lev

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:31:29 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9bvpod$b19gk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Chad Myers wrote:
> >

> > > "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:7KHE6.75389$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > So your needs are a mostly unusable OS with half-baked apps and
> > > a buggy, if not completely broken UI? Cool!
> > >

> > NO - he said he'd stopped using windows.
>
> Oh my gosh! Two in a row! Do you guys get your jokes from the same
> website?
>

> > > Poppycock. You've obviously never tried NT or let alone Win2K, so you
> > > really don't know what your talking about. Win9x sucks, big time. NT
> > > and 2K are far superior to anything else out there on the market,
> > > includig previous MS oses. You so realize that NT/2K are of a completely
> > > different code base and are not the Win16-based crap that Win9x, are,
> > > right?
> > >

> > This makes sense - someone sells you a faulty product so you decide to
> > replace it then buy a new version of same product from same company.
>
> It's not the same product, though. Microsoft had a bad past with Win9x,

Yeah...just like the bad past with Lose3.11 and Lose for Workgroups
and Lose1.x and Lose2.x (total jokes)
and Messy-Dox (all versions)

> but, it proves itself again, ignorant folk like you refuse to take a look
> at Win2K because you think it's just like Win9x, when it isn't. You only
> serve to embarass yourself when you attempt to talk intelligently.

Could it be due to their 20-year track record of market-trailing performance,
and other displays of utter incompetance regarding software development?

> -c

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel versus Sparc
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:31:39 GMT

Just want to share a recent experience.

A fellow on another project was having trouble getting
this C code to work.  It was supposed to accept
some geographical mapping data and do some work with
it, generating a data file.  It would crash.

Couldn't even compile this C code under the free
Borland 5.5 compiler....  However, it would compiler
with our installation of C++ Builder 4, which uses
a slightly earlier version, Borland 5.4.  We could
see that the code crashed at the start of a particular
function.  We saw some odd stuff in the assembler
code, so suspected a compiler bug.

We downloaded the mingw32 version of gcc, and got
the code to build.  It still crashed.  I even
went as far as to build it for Linux -- a core
dump resulted.

Figured it couldn't be compiler bugs!  After some
more dicking around with cleaning up some of
the myriad of warnings, I noticed that the
bad function was pushing an array of structures
onto the stack.  Looking at the size of the array,
found it was 64 Mb!

At that point, we realized that the Intel platform
was the cause of the trouble (not to mention the
dumb way of allocating/using such a large buffer).
The code had been originally developed on a SparcStation.

So, be careful about thinking PC's are the best
things around, just because they are much more
powerful than they used to be.

Chris
--
"Where do you want to hang today?"