From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 - It is an excellent product
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:16:47 -0500

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 04:43:04 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >"Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> The only priviledged activity that normal users will be allowed to do
is
> >> write to the CD.   Normal users would still not have the ability to
load
> >> and unload drivers.  If you have to give out this kind of authority on
> >> W2K to allow normal users to write CDs, why not just give everyone the
> >> password of administrator and be done with it?

> >The users can only start and stop the drivers that the administrator has
> >installed, and the admin can deny them access to specific drivers by
> >disallowing them access in the ACL.
> >

> But this doesn't work witht the CD/RW inability to allow
non-administrators
> write access to CD/RW devices on W2K.  You shouldn't suggest things that
> don't work.

The article you refernce below is talking about how Win2k is by default.
I'm talking about adjusting the priviledges of the third party driver that
is installed to allow burning to cd-r's.  They have nothing to do with each
other.

>    "The built-in Windows 2000 drivers for CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD-R devices
>    treat them as read-only devices".
>
>    NOTE: "No version of Microsoft Windows to date (Windows 2000, Microsoft
>    Windows NT, Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 95, or
>    Microsoft Windows 3.x) natively supports the ability to write to CD-R,
>    CD-RW, or DVD-R devices. Writing to (or "burning") these devices
requires
>    third-party drivers and software in Windows 2000."
>
>    Third-Party Software - The following third-party software is known to
>    support Windows 2000, but you should check with the manufacturer
>    for proper version and updated software.
>

>    Adaptec CD-R Software
>    Easy CD Creator version 3.5c
>    Easy CD Creator versions 4.0, 4.02 (4.02 is officially supported on
Windows 2000)
http://www.adaptec.com/tools/compatibility/win2k_cdr.html.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:18:59 -0500

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 04:50:14 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >> What he suggested is patently WRONG:
> >>
> >> Trouble is what you suggested doesn't work worth beans on W2K Pro.
> >> Why don't you actually try it before you suggest it.
> >>
> >> First:  Easy CD Creator and NERO both tell you that only Administrator
> >> can write to CDs on Windows 2000 Pro.  Whether I've given users
> >> permission to load and unload device drivers or not.
> >
> >Funny, I'm burning a CD as we speak under a non-administrator account
using
> >the method I mentioned using Nero.  I don't have EZCD Creator so I can't
> >test that.
>
> You're lying.  I also have NERO 5.0.  I tried this yesterday.  NERO brings
> up a dialog explicitely telling you that only administrators on Windows
> 2000 can write to CD/RW drives.

How could you be doing this when you haven't done what I suggested.  I know
you haven't because you had to ask how in another message.

Nero only brings up the message when it cannot start the ASPI device.

> >> Try it yourself and you'll see.
> >
> >I am.
>
> You're lying.

You're incompetant.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:19:20 -0400

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> So since the world is bad, we should not hope to change it for the
> >> better? Is that really what you are saying?
> >

> > Question #1 How long have women been telling you that men should find
> > obese 50-year old hags just as attractive as 22-year old women?
>

> > Question #2 And in that time, has the attempted brainwashing campaign
> > changed the TRUE desires of heterosexual men even one iota?
>
> > a) yes B) NO
>
> I think I understand your point, but I disagree. Finding women attrictive
> is a low level thing in our barins that is designed to make us breed
> better. Such things can be influenced to a fair degree, but there are
> limits.
>
> The intolerance of homosexuals is a much higher level thing and can
> easily be changed.

I don't know about other people, but the repulsive feelings I have
about it are pratty damned instinctual...

The first time I ever heard of it, (mentioned in a medical textbook)
my thought was, OH, GROSS!...

> Look at the ancgient Egyptians, the Romans and the Greeks. Homosexuality
> was considered nomal and happily tolerated. People don't have to be
> intolerant of homosexuals.
>
> -Ed
>

> > I rest my case.
> >

> >> -Ed
> >>
> >> --
> >> You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.
> >>
> >> u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k
> >

> --
> You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.
>
> u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:20:05 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> >> Any particular reason why you didn't say that in the OTHER
> >> answer to my post?
> >

> >Bugs the fuck out of you, doesn't it.
>
> Well, perhaps my posts are too complex for you to handle in one
                                 ^^^^^^^
You misspelled "nonsensical and idiotic"

> reply.
>
> --
> Roberto Alsina

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: msoja <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
soc.men,alt.current-events.clinton.whitewater,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.society.liberalism
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:12:49 -0400

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:10:00 -0400, "Scott D. Erb"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:

>Before I was married I wouldn't date a woman who wasn't a feminist,

<snip>

And now you will?  You're a blowhard, Scotti, through and through.

Mike

------------------------------

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Baseball
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 00:20:06 +0200 (CEST)

t. max dumbass:
> Said Nomen Nescio in alt.destroy.microsoft on Fri, 13 Apr 2001 23:20:12
> >t. max dumbass:
> >> Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:55:12
> >> -0600;

>for once?

>while

> >> Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.  What a putz.
> >
> >you sound bitter
>
> Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

how many retailers sell linux machines again?
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

p.s. sneering & not bathing does not a viable marketing strategy make

hth

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

------------------------------

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 is ice Cold
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:34:39 +0100

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> Hullo wrote:
> >
> > It really is great, try it out.
>
> It makes a great coaster.

So do AOL CD's and they are free

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 24 Apr 2001 22:22:21 GMT

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:20:05 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:

>> >Bugs the fuck out of you, doesn't it.
>>
>> Well, perhaps my posts are too complex for you to handle in one
>                                 ^^^^^^^
>You misspelled "nonsensical and idiotic"

None of those factors would be handled easier by answering in pieces.
And I find it amusing, coming from the guy who said "violent,
law-breaking criminals" and two posts later said "all criminals
are law-breaking, idiot", calling himself an idiot in the process.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:23:28 -0500

"Chronos Tachyon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:itkF6.24145$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue 24 Apr 2001 04:47, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>   [Snip]
> >>
> >> 1) Make your CD writing program setuid.  If I'm not mistaken, cdrecord
> >> (the most commonly used CD writing program under Linux) is designed to
be
> >> relatively secure when made setuid, although I wouldn't really trust it
> >> without a full source audit.
> >
> > You can do the same with Win2k.  You can run any program as another
user,
> > including administrator when you are not logged in as that account.
>
> Hint: "Run As Different User" is not the same as setuid.  Under Linux, you
> don't need to know the root password to burn a CD using this method.  I
> currently use the "Run As" kludge on the Win2K box I maintain for a friend
> when he wants to burn CDs.

You can certainly create an adminstrator account that doesn't allow logging
in to use for this purpose.

> >> 2) Do a "chgrp cdrom /dev/{sr,sg}0; chmod 0660 /dev/{sr,sg}0", then
make
> >> your CD writing program setgid.  This way, the program does not gain
root
> >> permissions at any time during its execution.
> >
> > You can do the same in Win2k setting the execute permissions to the
device
> > drivers to only administrators and then giving permission to only one
user
> > or groups of users, then giving them the ability to start and stop
> > devices. They can only then start the devices they have permissions to.
>
> Um, huh?  I've never seen ACLs on individual device drivers anywhere in
all
> the time I've tinkered with Win2K.

Haven't tinkered much then, have you.  *EVERY* file in the filesystem has
individual ACL's.  What do you think the security tab is for?

> Besides, this Linux option grants
> exactly one program (the CD writing software) the right to directly access
> the drive, whereas what you suggest gives that right to ALL programs run
by
> the permitted user(s).  Given the fact that CD-R drives are somewhat
> notorious for causing flakiness (under any OS), I would think that the
> ability to restrict access to a trusted program or two would be a wise
> thing, especially if you didn't fully trust the user(s).

And the Run As option does just this.

> Note that, under Linux, direct access to the drive is a very different
> thing from being able to mount the drive and read files from it.

As it is in Windows.

> >> 3) Do the same chgrp/chmod, then edit /etc/login.defs so that users who
> >> log in at the console automatically gain access to the cdrom group.
> >
> > This would require some scripting to work under Win2k, but you could do
it
> > as well.
>
> I'm not familiar with any way in Win2K that you can use a script to grant
> or revoke membership in an arbitrary group based on whether or not a user
> is logging in locally.  Perhaps you could elaborate?

You can use a script to check for interactive access, then add or remove
their account from a group that is given access.

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 24 Apr 2001 22:25:43 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>> If the answer is "to defend myself", who would you be defending
:>> yourself against?
:>
:>Violent, law-breaking criminals.

: For example, if someone was robbing your TV. The guy is there, going
: off the window, with your TV in his hands. Would you shoot him?

In most places and in most situations, U.S. Citizens are authorized
by law to use deadly force to stop a felony in progress and/or
apprehend the felon, if that felony was committed in their presence.
Thus, it is very possible that Aaron or anyone else would have the
right to shoot him at least according to law.

However, as for myself, I would not purposely kill or permanently harm
someone who did not pose an immediate threat to my life or anyone
else's.  I would use, at most, only the amount of force necessary to
stop the felony and apprehend the felon.

Joe

------------------------------

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Lies from a Linux "advocate"
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:40:38 +0100

> With MS software, the fact that there's already a glut of MS software
> out there creates a need for more MS software because of the avalanche
> effect.  With the open source software, once companies invest in OSS,
> this creates a need for more OSS.  So, maybe the recession is an
> opportunity for a break-out.

True - although once companies invest in OSS they will realise what
bullshit the constant upgrade treadmill really is and closed-source
companies will lose revenue from upgrades and close down.

How can we ensure ths only happens to monopolist scum and not the good guys
(for example small businesses writing proprietry solutions on a
per-customer basis)?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 24 Apr 2001 22:27:50 GMT

On 24 Apr 2001 22:25:43 GMT, Joseph T. Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>:>> If the answer is "to defend myself", who would you be defending
>:>> yourself against?
>:>
>:>Violent, law-breaking criminals.
>
>: For example, if someone was robbing your TV. The guy is there, going
>: off the window, with your TV in his hands. Would you shoot him?
>

>In most places and in most situations, U.S. Citizens are authorized
>by law to use deadly force to stop a felony in progress and/or
>apprehend the felon,

Just a quibble: it's hard to apprehend the felon after he's dead ;-)

> if that felony was committed in their presence.
>Thus, it is very possible that Aaron or anyone else would have the
>right to shoot him at least according to law.
>
>However, as for myself, I would not purposely kill or permanently harm
>someone who did not pose an immediate threat to my life or anyone
>else's.  I would use, at most, only the amount of force necessary to
>stop the felony and apprehend the felon.

That's the idea! Congratulations.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Martin McPhillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
soc.men,alt.current-events.clinton.whitewater,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.society.liberalism
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 22:28:55 GMT

"Scott D. Erb" wrote:

> jet wrote:
>
> > MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:ELUE6.1381$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:9c06um$1o3m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > man

> > > Pay is not the issue. I've no problem with women getting equal pay.
> > > The point I was making, my opinion obviously, is that a man is a
> > > "flagellating idiot" if he were to marry a feminist.
> > >  Get it now?
> >
> > A woman who thinks she should get paid the same as a man for the same work
> > is a feminist. Get it now?
>
> Before I was married I wouldn't date a woman who wasn't a feminist,

How very Stalinist of you, Scott.

Ideology first. Intelligence, personality, character, second place,
at least, given the often diminished level of the latter when
the former is the controlling factor of identity.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:29:29 -0500

You need to learn to quote correctly.  The way you've quoted this looks like
Hartmann wrote it all, when he didn't.  I wrote the second part, he wrote
the first.

"Jonadab the Unsightly One" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer) wrote:
>
> > all the reasons you give describe a thin client arrangement,
>
> A one-computer-many-terminals arrangment fits even better.
> The terminals can be VT100s or whatever.  Win3.1 boxes?
> Shoot, you could use 8088s (e.g., the original IBM PC
> from 1980), but that would be overkill.
>
> > You're ignoring the one about management.  Consider that
> > many factories operate 24/7, which means they never shut
> > down the terminals and the "application" runs constantly.
> > When you upgrade the application, the terminals are still
> > running it.  You have to get all the clients to shutdown
> > and load the new version.
>
> That's silly.  All you need is to queue the upgrade to
> any given page until nobody's looking at it.

And you magically know when nobody is looking at it, how?  You have to go
around to each terminal and find out.

> Or if you
> need to upgrade the software they're using to view the
> pages, install the new version, set it up so that when
> a terminal is reset it uses the new version, and leave
> the old version in place for a few weeks until every
> terminal has been reset.

And what if the terminal is never reset?  What if you need the change to
take effect immediately (suppose you add some information that must be
included in all work orders)?  What if the change requires modifying the
tables of the database so that the old application is no longer compatible,
or the old application could corrupt the new data?

My point is simply that HTML based programs do have advantages.