Linux-Advocacy Digest #884, Volume #34            Fri, 1 Jun 01 03:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  "GET LINUX" contest (Tom E Novotney)
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (Michael Vester)
  Re: One Off Distributions (Ian Pulsford)
  Re: Bill Gates on CNBC In Depth tonight - how come no mention of Linux? (Ray Chason)
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (Terry Porter)
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (Ben Franchuk)
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft ("Stuart Fox")
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. ("Stuart Fox")
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. ("Stuart Fox")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) ("Stuart Fox")
  Re: Bill Gates on CNBC In Depth tonight - how come no mention of Linux? ("Stuart
Fox")
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (Wim Lauwers)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the    dust! (Peter
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?=)
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (Michael Vester)
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (Donn Miller)
  Re: aaron kulkis steals his brother ian turdboy's crack pipe ("jet")
  Re: aaron kulkis steals his brother ian turdboy's crack pipe ("jet")
  Re: aaron kulkis steals his brother ian turdboy's crack pipe ("jet")
  Re: What does XP stands for ??? ("Robert Morelli")

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 01:22:23 -0400
From: Tom E Novotney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.open-look,comp.windows.x,alt.os.linux
Subject: "GET LINUX" contest

Bring your firewood... we are turning up the fire!

Help the revolution...

check out...

http://www.linux-fever.com

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 22:52:58 -0700

David Fox wrote:

> Ben Franchuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Chris Morgan wrote:
> > > This seems more damning than it really is - actually installing
> > > Windows from scratch can be a mess too, it's just that most users
> > > never have to.
> >
> > Ha! I bet all users have had to re-install windows at least
> > once or fight the system installing new hardware or software.
>
> Unfortunately, they usually fail and call me for help.

I find myself in the same situation. Despite my pro Linux stance and lack
of any respect for losedos, my friends and relatives call me for help.
Many times, the solution is a reinstall or even a format and reinstall. I
have done more losedos installs than I can remember. I should get an
honorary MSCE.  My Linux advocacy is starting to pay off. My father is now
a very happy Red Hat Linux user. I can easily support him with ssh.

--
Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

"The avalanche has started, it is
too late for the pebbles to vote"
Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 15:28:35 +1000
From: Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: One Off Distributions

Charles Lyttle wrote:

> This is a real world problem that needs a real world solution
> I'm starting two projects that will, perhaps, feature embedded Linux. I
> hope these two projects are only the beginning of a whole carrier. But
> there are some points that need discussion.
>
> Each project will need its own tailored version of Linux. Some features
> will be removed, some will be re-written. In a traditional engineering
> services contract, the client owns the code. The engineer (me) can
> neither release the code to the public nor re-use it on another project
> without the permission of the client. Also most of the modifications
> would not be suitable for inclusion in the main Linux code tree.
>
> This brings up two questions. First, how should the traditional
> engineering services contract be modified to support the GNU copyleft
> requirements? The clients need to protect their interest, but aren't
> against giving credit where credit is due. Sometimes there will be valid
> reasons for not releasing code. There are two separate issues in this
> question : the operating system vs. the application. Sometimes that
> distinction will get blurred.
>
> Secondly, what duty is owed the GNU copyleft holders? It isn't practical
> for me to try to notify each copyleft holder every time I modify his
> code. Also, I don't think they would like getting lots of mail about
> changes that will never be included in the main tree.
>
> Any comments/ideas?
>
> Wintrolls please stay home.

What about BSD instead?

> --
> Russ Lyttle
> "World Domination through Penguin Power"
> The Universal Automotive Testset Project at
> <http://home.earthlink.net/~lyttlec>

IanP

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Bill Gates on CNBC In Depth tonight - how come no mention of Linux?
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 05:27:49 -0000

"Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Anonymous"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Paolo Ciambotti wrote:
>>
>>> I don't suppose it would have anything to do with MSFT being a
>>> technology partner and investor in CNBC, would it?
>>
>> I thought that was MSNBC.
>
>Both.  MSFT and CNBC.com are partners in an MS-Money based website
>venture, and MSFT is a financial partner in both MSNBC and CNBC.

And even if MS had nothing directly to do with CNBC, the tentacles
it has wrapped around MSNBC could potentially change editorial
decisions elsewhere at NBC, if NBC thinks it profitable to toe the
MS line.

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: 01 Jun 2001 05:39:53 GMT

On Thu, 31 May 2001 21:46:41 -0700, The Xebot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 01 Jun 2001 00:39:21 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
> wrote:
>

>>Process id's are not available in Win95 or Win98, perhaps theyre avail
>>in Win2k?
>>

> Not correct, Process IDs go back to Win95.  *Most* process-related
> APIs work in Win95 and/or Win98 (including TerminateProcess).
> Security descriptors, and the like, are not supported in Win9x, of
> course.

Oops, I meant to the user, no mechanism is available to monitor
and kill process id's with Win95 and Win98.

<snip useful programming info>

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: Ben Franchuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 07:20:26 -0600

Michael Vester wrote:
 I find myself in the same situation. Despite my pro Linux stance and lack
> of any respect for losedos, my friends and relatives call me for help.
> Many times, the solution is a reinstall or even a format and reinstall. I
> have done more losedos installs than I can remember. I should get an
> honorary MSCE.  My Linux advocacy is starting to pay off. My father is now
> a very happy Red Hat Linux user. I can easily support him with ssh.
--
I favor debian linux over Red Hat as debian you can upgrade via a modem
rather than needing a @$#! network card. While I have re-installed both

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 17:58:16 +1200

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, unicat wrote:
>
> With XP starting at $329 for the upgrade and $580 for
> the base, do you realize that it will now cost a company
> of 550 computer users a whopping 2.5 million dollars to
> upgrade their fleet!

Duh!  Volume licensing...

> They'll end up buying a NEW PC for everybody as buying the
> software just won't work.  You can't run XP on yesterdays
> Pentiums and Pentium II's.  It's a complete waste of time.

Pentium II's should be fine, Pentiums no.

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 17:59:51 +1200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 31 May 2001 19:40:17 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> >> Somebody's been feeding you some pabulum... you'll find all that and
> >> more in any linux distribution.
>
> >Last distribution I used was Slackware 7.1.  Didn't have an Office suite

Follow the thread.  He claimed I could find an Office suite in any linux
distribution.  I looked at one I llike, it didn't have an Office suite.

> I didn't realise Windows did.
>
> >included, had a crap web browser (Nutscrape).
>
> If you think that's crap, then you must HATE the browser that comes
> with Windows.

It works better than any other I've tried.

> >Games were shit, and I don't
> >see many commercial games for Linux on the shelves.
>
> Oh sorry, I thought we were judging OSes on the ability to get serious
> work done on them. The only decent game that comes with Windows is
> Freecell, and you can run that under Wine.

Again, if you could just try and keep up with the thread that would be
great.

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 18:01:51 +1200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 31 May 2001 07:56:07 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> >> Which will cost them how much? They'll have to fork out for: NT, a
> >> bigger hard disk probably, more RAM, a faster processor just to make
> >> it all work. Or, they could just get linux, spending absolutely
> >> NOTHING.
>
> >I read somewhere that Linux is free for those whose time is worth
nothing.

> >Of course if they fork out for NT, they'll still be able to run the
majority
> >of their apps, they won't have to learn to use a completely different
OS -
> >ie the GUI will still look the same (roughly), and apps will still
> >functionthe same.
>
> Presuming they are already used to Windows.

Are you using a newsreader that doesn't support threading?  You seem to have
an awful amount of trouble following simple threads.  Go back and read the
thread, then reply.

> >Or they could just get Linux and struggle to find a decent web browser,
>
> There are plenty of web browsers available: Opera, Netscape, lynx,
> Mozilla. The only extra one for Windows is the laughably awful IE.

Which is still the best browser available for Windows.

> > have
> >to download a new Office suite,
>
> Which they would have to do on Windows.

Follow the thread - we're talking moving from Win9x to Win2000.

> >be unable to play many games, and basically
> >drop their productivity,
>
> Please explain how being unable to play many games will cause a lack
> in productivity.

Notice the word "and"?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 06:03:37 GMT

Ayende Rahien wrote:

<snip>
> MFC has nothing to do with Win32 API.
> IE, the Win32 API has no relation to MFC, MFC build on Win32 API, though.

This is a major overstatement at best.  Most of MFC is just a
straightforward C++-ization of the Win32 API; i.e. a class
to manage a handle of a certain type.

> Some people feel that MFC make the Win32API easier to use. For
> easy-to-meduim stuff, I would agree, once you get to serious stuff, I
> think that the MFC start to encoumber you.

MFC is so closely based on the Win32 API that the MFC classes almost
always offer access to the underlying Win32 API entity if you need
to do something not supported by MFC.

> Essesintly, MFC is VB for C++.
>

>From what I've heard, VB makes some attempt at being 'visual', while
from experience I know that VC++ is hardly gui-based at all except
for the dialog box editor.  It's 97% editing source files (what a concept).

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 18:03:41 +1200

"Chronos Tachyon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:zlyR6.47997$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu 31 May 2001 02:51, Pete Goodwin wrote:
>
> Using xkill.  Most window managers map Ctrl+Alt+Esc to run xkill, which
> gives you a skull-and-bones cursor that lets you blow any arbitrary X app
> out of the water, no additional skill required.  Much easier than the
> Windows (either 9x or 2K) alternatives.

Windows 2K maps CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to task manager which lets you blow any app
out of the water.  How is that harder?

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 18:09:27 +1200

"Anonymous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Bill Gates on CNBC In Depth tonight -
> how come no mention of Linux?
>
> What happened?
> Not even the press mentioned Linux!
>
> Has Linux fallen off the radar screen again?

I think I know this one.  Bill Gates works for Microsoft.

------------------------------

From: Wim Lauwers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 08:14:17 +0200

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Peter Seebach ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : That may be, but I feel obliged to point out rumors that 3M recently passed
> : an internal edict that no Microsoft development platforms would be used for
> : new internal products.  If other companies that actually *use* computers
> : start defecting, even half-heartedly, Microsoft could lose big.
>
> It's safe to say that Microshit is in trouble with the server market. It's the
> home user market that Microshit has the near-monopoly. Same with the office
> LAN client computers. Just ask home users which OS they use, and it's always
> Windows of some flavour. You might get lucky and find a Mac user or more rare,
> a Linux user. I happen to be one of those rare Linux home users.
>
> Linux is an OS that appeals to techie types, not normal home users in general.
> The install can be a pain depending on equipment and distro used. At times,
> you get to play "hacker" with the install, like on a stubborn laptop. Being a
> Linux fan, I have to admit that it's not an OS for everyone, certainly not
> yet.

Installing wasn't any problem for me, and I like Linux a lot, though
there are other things that aren't mature yet. KDE sometimes hangs or
crashes, installing apps isn't consistent and requires more work than
on Windows, even with RPMs (menu-entries etc.). You still need some
commandline work to get things done. There is the real work to attract
typical Windowsusers. One or two years more, I guess...

Wim

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the    dust!
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 21:55:14 +0200

Chad Myers wrote:

> For being customizability hounds and bashing on MS, you guys really
> have no concept of accessibility. Not everyone is a white male that
> can walk, talk, hear, see, has 10 fingers and toes, and can speak
> English.

Is this the reason why SuSE scans for Braille-devices during setup?

Because Wintendo showed them how to do it?

Tell us, Chaddy boy, what Braille-devices does windows support
out of the box, even automagically set up during install?

Peter

--
Microsoft's Product Strategy: "It compiles, let's ship it!"

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 00:17:18 -0700

Ben Franchuk wrote:

> Michael Vester wrote:
>  I find myself in the same situation. Despite my pro Linux stance and lack
> > of any respect for losedos, my friends and relatives call me for help.
> > Many times, the solution is a reinstall or even a format and reinstall. I
> > have done more losedos installs than I can remember. I should get an
> > honorary MSCE.  My Linux advocacy is starting to pay off. My father is now
> > a very happy Red Hat Linux user. I can easily support him with ssh.
> --
> I favor debian linux over Red Hat as debian you can upgrade via a modem
> rather than needing a @$#! network card. While I have re-installed both
> for a lot of dumb reasons, one advantage of linux is you can with a little
> work backup and restore your HD from boot floppies. Doze you can't easily
> backup and restore ( crash computer - load w95 - find all driver of other
> CD's - load backup software - restore computer )
> Ben.
<snip>
Linux makes backing up easy by separating user data from everything else.
Just backup the home directory. losedos scatters user data all over the
place. I use a zip drive for my backups. For my single losedos computer, I
have a Ghost image on a cd ready to go. I backup the data on my losedos
computer to my Linux server and hope I get all of it.

I find a network card install in Linux quite simple. It has been over 4
years since I used a dial-up ISP. A Linux install with a network card with
my ISP requires setting the IP address, gateway and name servers. I never
experienced a Linux install that did not identify the NIC and load the
correct drivers.

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 02:54:03 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Stuart Fox wrote:

> Windows 2K maps CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to task manager which lets you blow any app
> out of the water.  How is that harder?

It doesn't "blow any app out of the water", does it?  All the task
manager does is send the equivalent of kill -TERM, which sends a signal
to the app requesting its termination.  It's still not like most unix
systems, where you can opt to send a kill -9 (-KILL) telling to app to
terminate IMMEDIATELY.  Of course, I think what the Windows Task Manager
does is send the Windows equiv. of kill -TERM, and if the app doesn't
die within XXX seconds, it opens a dialog box stating that "this app
isn't responding.  What would you like to do?"  And if you select "End
task", it sends the Windows equivalent of of kill -KILL, which means
"kill, dammit, and I mean it!"

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aaron kulkis steals his brother ian turdboy's crack pipe
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 23:55:18 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> chrisv wrote:

> > >Are you saying that I should interpret your words in some way
> > >other than what you wrote?
> > >
> > >Do what you say.  Say what you mean.  One thing leads to another.
> >
> > Sorry, but there's many non-literal forms of effective communication.
> > Morons who simply pretend not to understand are not helpful.
>
> Translation: I, chrisv, am unable to communicate in a clear, effective
manner.

So, when you said you were going to sue Steve Chaney, what did you mean?

J.

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 23:58:00 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> jet wrote:
> >
> > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > off
> > every

> > subject

> > you
> > >
> > > There's no point in a libel suit against a man who no longer has any
> > credibility.
> > >
> > > do the fucking math.
> >
> > So, we should have interpreted your words in some way other than what
you
> > wrote.
> > And when  you said "Do what you say, say what you mean" you didn't mean
what
> > you said.Got it. :)
>
> I told him to stop spreading rumors, or I would sue.

No, you said if he didn't stop saying you were kicked out of school for
cheating, you would sue. He said it again. You didn't sue.

> By undermining his credibility, he effectively put a stop to his
> own rumor-mongering.
>
> Hope that helps.

No, because you said you would sue him if he said you were kicked out of
school for cheating again, not for "rumor mongering". He did. You didn't.

 .

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 23:59:00 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Vallely's Dirt in Boss King's Ditch.." wrote:
> >
> > Also, there's the fact that you ARE a proven right wing fuckhead..
>
> Bzzzzzzzzzt! Wrong.
>
> I opposed fascism and nazism just as much as i oppose communism

OK, there's the fact that you are a proven fuckhead.

From: "Robert Morelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What does XP stands for ???
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:02:04 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Zsolt"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've seen some rather good, although 'unofficial' explanations about the
> XP abbreviation in Windows XP. Let's try to collect them in this thread.
> Anybody, who has other good idead, please post them here!
> To kick-off the collection, some idea's I've seen so far on this
> newsgroup:  eXPerimental
> eXtra Problems included
> eXtremely Pathetic

Of course,  acronyms are often chosen prior to working out exactly
what they stand for.  You don't believe PASCAL,  ADA,  BASIC,
etc.  are all accidents,  do you?  In the case of Microsoft,  there's
usually a bit of play between the marketing people,  the developers,
and the executive management,  and the meaning of any particular
acronym might vary between the different groups.  As long as they
all agree on the acronym,  everyone's happy.

The marketers take the letter X to mean "eXtensions."  Thus,  ActiveX
means Active eXtensions,  etc.  Among MS executives,  X is generally
short for "embrace and eXtend."  The term was of such currency in that
group that it was quickly reduced to "X",  spoken alongside other
monosyllables like "a,"  "the,"  "is,"  etc.  The developers,  working within
the bowels of the company,  generally take X to mean "eXcrement."
Thus,  ActiveXcrement,  DirectXcrement,  etc.

As for XP,  it is generally suggestive of X=extensions=embrace and
eXtend=eXcrement,  but has more specific denotations.  The marketers
are promoting XP as short for "eXPerience,"  the name of the band
lead by rock legend Jimi Hendrix.  The Hendrix association is considered
apt,  in that Hendrix,  a heavy drug abuser,  was frequently dazed,
mentally disoriented,  and suicidal.

The executive take on XP seems to be:  "eXclude Pirates,"  or,  more
forcefully,  "summarily eXecute Pirates,"  and also "don't have seX with
Pirates."  The more alliterative XXPP was briefly entertained:  "eX teXas
governor bush Protects corporate Pirates."

Chief financial officer Bob Herbold has bucked fellow executives:
"more and more and more eXPensive."

Among the secretarial staff,  XP is just short for "Xmas Party."

Among the Microsoft developers,  XP is 2001 in Roman numerals.  The
more standard MMI was avoided,  because the MRNSDK (Microsoft Roman
Numeral Development Kit) doesn't fully support the M symbol for 1000.
Of course,  P is not generally included in the Roman numeral system;  it
was quietly added between the 1.01 and subsequent 8.0 releases of the
MRNSDK.  Though undocumented,  and possessing obscure semantics,
the P extension is widely used.  In any case,  it is easy to verify through
experimentation that XP = 2001.

Someone proposed Xtremely Proprietary a few days ago,  but I think
that was only in jest.