From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Aaron Kookis: over 340 posts in 6 days!
Date: 27 Apr 2001 02:40:31 GMT

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:18:47 GMT, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there anyone else in the world so full of himself, so sure of
> himself, so in love with the sound of his own voice, so devoid of a
> life that on some days he'll post well over 50 obnoxious,
> argumentative messages into a single newsgroup?

Dunno, but chrisv the infamous Wintroll is well on his way to
equaling Aarons posting score,but the main difference is that Aarons
are entertaining, yours arent.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: 27 Apr 2001 02:45:20 GMT

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:02:45 GMT,
 Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Terry Porter wrote:
>
>> You still don't get it, Linux **DOES NOT WANT TO REPLACE** Windows!
>
> That's why I see articles like "SuSE 7.1 is a Windows killer"?
Who wrote it ?

>> That would be like a Hornet wanting to replace a Cesna light aircraft!
>
> Better tell the folks at SuSE then!
Hahaha They would love all the publicity they can get, I'd imagine, after all
Suse *is* a commercial company. Suse is *not* Linux.

>>> When those few problems exceed the thing that you're switching away
>>> from... what then?
>>
>> Then try something else to solve your problems.
>
> I've tried Windows. I've tried Linux. Oh I'll try Macinstosh next, shall I?
Why not, then that still leaves you Aix, Sunos, Beos etc.

>> Oh I'd enjoy that, I'm exactly the pita in real life that I appear to be
>> here on COLA :)
>
> I don't like the Jerry Springer show, so I wouldn't enjoy it 8(.
Ah well, you can't have everything ;-)

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 27 Apr 2001 02:52:04 GMT

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:14:15 +0100, Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Obviously posting FUD on COLA is one of those things ?
>>
>> What FUD is that Terry?
Pete .... come on mate, I was drinking coffee and it could be all over my
screen  ...

>> Please point out ANY posts I've made that are (i) untrue (ii) lies (iii)
>>  etc. You'll have a hard time.
The cleverest lie of all, is one that contains some truth.

> Another Linux OOPSIE.
>
> remember that post? Somehow you were comvinced that GIMP having stupid
> defaults was somehow a fault of Linux. You also made many erroneous
> claims in that thread before figuring out how the printer system worked.
>
> There were lots of untrue and etc there.

Pete also claims that he has had no success doing things that most of us here,
found to be no brainers, things that worked first time.

Ya gotta hand it to Pete, hes a Wintroll, but a good one.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: robert bronsing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unwelcome changes in Linux advocacy.
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:47:03 +0200

David Neary wrote:

> Hullo wrote:
> >frankly I'm
> >disappointed with the speed with which you as a group resort to foul
> >language, personal insult, invented (or copied) technical
> >reports/information, but ...
> >I'm hiring an MS head rather than a Linux guru as at least they show less
> >capacity for being personally obnoxious. May I suggest that you consider
> >evaluating how you "advocate" your hobby ( and it is clearly a hobby rather
> >than an occupation for most of you
> >I wish Linux could be rolled back
> >to when it ran on a 386 DX 16 and Linux users were nice friendly people
> >(best illustrated by Linus himself).
>
> I actually agree with what he said above (apart from the insults,
> that said I did miss the original thread so it's possible there
> was provocation).

There was.

> I've read quite a few posts on this newsgroup which have lead me
> to believe that the majority of (current) Linux users really
> don't want to be civil. I'm not talking about being excessively
> polite, just civil - it's easier to keep quiet than be unhelpful,
> after all.

But, this is not a help group, it's an advocay group. And what I see
happening here (and I am far from a regular here but I do read almost
all the posts) is that people who ask serious linux questions get
serious answers. And I think (hope) that if someone were to offer
serious and honest critism on linux that person wouldn't be flamed to
ashes (quite frankly, I can't think of any but I'm sure more linux and
computer literate people could). But if you come here yelling how
difficult linux is, or that windows is the best around for any
job...well then, maybe you ought to get an asbestos suit and face the
flames....

> In any case, I agree with him that there has been a marked
> decline in the standard of help available on the more popular
> newsgroups & irc channels. Bizarrely, to get the best user tips &
> advice, someone now has to look for a low-traffic developers
> list/channel and post o/t than go to the appropriate newsgroup.

Could be, don't know. I subscribe to the Slackware mailing list and that
offers me all the help I need. Along with the Howto's, the man pages
etc.

> It seems to me that about 80% of the posts in this group (and 90%
> of all the content of #linpeople or #debian) is way off topic,
> and only serves to hide the real gems of posts from the people
> looking for them.

Hmmm....well, off topics in a group that has no on-line faq and no
moderators (other than the dynamical moderating flames) is not something
to really worry about. You need advise on specific linux topics? There
are so many active linux news groups, I am sure there are many willing
and able people there to help you. And then you have the LDP, the
mailing lists....and if that's not good enough there are also many linux
usergroups in real life you could ask for help. This is an advocacy
group. People come here to tell you how wonderful linux is. Others come
here to persuede you to come back to using windows. Yet others come here
to troll. That's nice. You have all kinds of people here and I don't
think you should expect too serious postings here.

> A large part of advocacy, after all, is making people who are not
> familiar with you comfortable in your group. After that it's much
> easier to explain the benefits of what you have to people. The
> major problem at the moment is that groups like this one are too
> popular for their own good,and too many people don't even know
> the benefits of what they're advocating over proprietary
> alternatives. this is not healthy.

You know, I doubt that users who are thinking about using linux in lieu
of windows consider usenet a good place to start. They'll start with
finding info around them in real life, or they look on the WWW for info.
Most people I know don't even know what usenet is let alone they come
here to seek advice. And, if you know how to read english I'd say
there's loads of good information in this group to help you decide. And
linux is much like aikido : you have to do it to know what it is.

> I hope people don't think I'm trolling here, I am offerring my
> perspective on the changes in the Linux community over the years
> (since 96, when I first discovered linux), and I intend this to
> be either a constructive commentary on currently available
> on-line resources, or a basis for discussion on the future of
> Linux advocacy for the future.
>
> Thanks for reading,
> Dave.

Well, I think you should lighten-up a bit about this group. Of course,
it's always a good thing to also be serious at times (and many threads
are serious to a point). Well, maybe I'll be flamed for saying all this
as a non-regular using a win98 box...see you.

--
Robert Bronsing

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Rocks!
Date: 27 Apr 2001 03:04:29 GMT

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:33:21 +0100,
 Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Typical Outlook-User.  Have a look at his odd-designed Postings, even
>> Beta-Status KNode does a better job.
>>

> Wow - until reading this I didn't realise KNode is only Beta Status - I
> have been using it since january and due to the lack of crashes in use
> (compared to outlook's regular GPF's) I assumed it was the final version.

Yet the Wintrolls here, insist on using KDE, claiming its 'finished'
and therefore buggy when some part of the package gives problems.

Naturally commercial magazines tout KDE as the 'latest hot stuff' ...
it sells magazines.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Windows is a virus
Date: 27 Apr 2001 04:53:46 GMT

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 22:50:24 +0100,
 Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Aaron
>> Windows does the job it was designed for: Corrupt user's data, and
>> keep the dimwitted moron's expectations so low that they are easily
>> impressed by a whole 36 hours of continous uptime.
>>

> I wish my win98 system would stay up that long - I have almost totally
> given up bothering with win98 on my dual-boot system in favour of mandrake
> 7.2 now it has got so unreliable everytime I try to start IE4 the system
> locks solid and I am so pissed off with the hassle I don't want the bother
> of yet another reinstall knowing I will only have to repeat the process in
> another few months when it trashes itself again.

My wife still runs Win98, and her pc stays on continuously as does my Linux
box and router.

Now her machine only locks or freezes up once every other week, but slowness
is a continual hassle for her. Her hardware is a pentum90 with 32 megs ram.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Another Windows pc gets Linux
Date: 27 Apr 2001 05:04:58 GMT

Soon I will be converting my Wife's Win98 machine to Linux, however saving all
her stuff has been painfully difficult.

Problem #1 no network neighbourhood icon. Although I set up Samba easily on my
Linux box, her pc lacked the above NN facility. Could I restore it ... nope.
Tweakui fails to work, Windows help is non existant. I have no interest in
buying 'secrets of the windows registry' so I can manipulate a terse, binary
database, that will render her machine unusable should I screw up the editing.

Problem #2 No decent FTP facility on her machine, so I installed a time limited
Windows FTP 'shareware' programe, good for 10 days!
Using that ftp application I easily uploaded all her files to my Linux FTP
server, and then burnt all 250 megabytes onto a CD.

Now on to dumping Windows98 and seeing how she goes with Linux full time.

She's a writer and uses the following programs with Windows:-
Win Prog      -    Linux apps she will be getting

Windows98 GUI   -    22 to choose from, probably IceWm
Windows filemgr -    XWinCommander
Word            -    Lyx, Ted, Abiword
mIRC            -    Xchat
Outhouse        -    Exmh
ICQ             -    Licq
Winamp          -    Winamp,Xmms
nothing         -    Gftp
nothing         -    Gimp
nothing         -    Wordnet
nothing         -    Gcc for compiling new apps etc

Another handy feature will be the Remote GUI,that Linux has, and on our
in house network, it means she can run apps from my box, even if her pc has
different libaries etc, and the app runs as tho its on her pc!

No more walking over to to her desk to sort out Windows problems for me :)

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product
Date: 27 Apr 2001 05:27:27 GMT

On 26 Apr 2001 23:57:08 -0500, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9c6rsi$j17$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > If only I could afford the damned thing to find out.  I imagine there's
>> > some illegal iso's of Win 2K out there on the web, though.
>>
>> There is a perfectly legal trial version.
>> If you can't afford it (I think it's 5$), then you've other problems.
>
> He runs Linux - he can't afford a haircut - what makes you think he could
> afford real software?
What makes you think Windows *is* 'real software' ??

> Remember - linux is free if your time is worth nothing.

Remember Windows is expensive from the moment you buy it, and thats just the
start. More memory, faster CPU's, constant 'upgrades' and the fear of never
knowing what is really happening inside the Windows software.

Then we have tens of thousands of virii and backdoor snooper apps ie
Back Orifice, Netbus and Sub7.

Johanson is only misleading himself if he thinks the $400 he put down for
Win2k is the end of his costs.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Windows 2K is crappy: a couple of examples
Date: 27 Apr 2001 11:01:04 GMT

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:21:39 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > 1)  Run the program as administrator from your user account.
>> > 2)  Give the user the user rights to load and unload device drivers.
>> Your kidding right ....?
>> Give the user the rights to load and unload device drivers ???
>>
>> Doesnt this compromise the system security not to mention its stability ?
>
> How?
Actually I should have read on to further posts, as this question was
answered by Eric in a later post.

When I posted this, I thought 'load and unload' allowed users to
install whatever drivers they liked.

Aparently it only means users can load and unload drivers installed on the
system by the superuser.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 27 Apr 2001 10:57:21 GMT

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:20:58 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > I recently upgraded the CD burner in my dual-boot win98se / mandrake 7.2
>> > machine from a 2x2x6 speed unit to a 12x10x32 speed unit - the result on
>> > booting into linux was the system showed no indication that the hardware
>> > had changed but burning a CDRW disc resulted in a complete disc in about
> 6
>> SIX MINUTES!!!! ouch!
>> My Ricoh 8*8*32 takes a full ten minutes, under Linux (no Windows, dont'
> touch
>> the stuff myself)!
>
> My Yamaha 16X/10X/40X does it in about 5 :)
5 MINUTES!!
Smoking ...

> It was actually quite cheap, less than $200.
Excellent, mine was $345 Australian,which is equivalent to about $172 American
atm :(

Tell me Eric, can you read a iso9660 image as a file system under Windows
before you burn the image to a CD (for testing) ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 27 Apr 2001 11:04:31 GMT

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 01:58:14 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Terry Porter wrote:

>> Gee Nigel,perhaps you should use Win2k, apparently 'hullo I'm braindead' thinks
>> it rocks ?
>>

> Hullo is a troll, let alone a head hunter! Hullo is a phony!

Definetly, tho a odd kind of Wintroll, terse until the final
post, then vociferously pathetic.

I voted him most boring Wintroll of 01 in a previous post.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Women's rights and responsibilities.
Date: 27 Apr 2001 11:09:25 GMT

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:20:45 -0700, jet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You're the idiot. You were asked to name a state that has a law like that.
> Can you?

I can see why Aaron devotes 1/3 of his sig to this 'woman'

<Jet goes into the wheelie-bin of history - plonk >

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:08:45 +0100

Terry Porter wrote:

> Soon I will be converting my Wife's Win98 machine to Linux, however saving all
> her stuff has been painfully difficult.

Why not partition down the drive (fips it) and the install linux and
copy over under Linux? (and she still has windows just in case)

> Problem #1 no network neighbourhood icon. Although I set up Samba easily on my
> Linux box, her pc lacked the above NN facility. Could I restore it ... nope.
> Tweakui fails to work, Windows help is non existant. I have no interest in
> buying 'secrets of the windows registry' so I can manipulate a terse, binary
> database, that will render her machine unusable should I screw up the editing.

Does it not show up in the windows explorer? Have you checked that
networking is correctly installed? How odd. I've never seen this - but
then again under windows you are never sure _why_ things randomly mess
up.

> She's a writer and uses the following programs with Windows:-
> Win Prog      -    Linux apps she will be getting
>
> Windows98 GUI   -    22 to choose from, probably IceWm
> Windows filemgr -    XWinCommander
> Word            -    Lyx, Ted, Abiword

Maybe you should get staroffice and word perfect just in case as well.
How about your printer? Is that ok?

> mIRC            -    Xchat
> Outhouse        -    Exmh
> ICQ             -    Licq
> Winamp          -    Winamp,Xmms
> nothing         -    Gftp
> nothing         -    Gimp
> nothing         -    Wordnet
> nothing         -    Gcc for compiling new apps etc
>
> Another handy feature will be the Remote GUI,that Linux has, and on our
> in house network, it means she can run apps from my box, even if her pc has
> different libaries etc, and the app runs as tho its on her pc!

It's great aye! ?

> No more walking over to to her desk to sort out Windows problems for me :)

The joy of X.

Good luck!