From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: Quicken for Linux???
Date: 27 Apr 2001 11:54:21 GMT

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:27:31 GMT, Al wrote:

 >Does any company make a Quicken like product for Linux???

gnucash
cbb
gnofin
emma
GCompte
JBooks
moneydance

All listed at freshmeat.net

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles,soc.men,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.military.folklore
Subject: Re: Bill Hudson admits that he, Dave Casey, V-man and Redc1c4  are
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:17:23 -0400

billh wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>
> > Can airdrops be strategic?
> >
> > a) no
> > B) yes
>
> Not from a C130 as you stated earlier.  Stop embarrassing yourself, wannabe.
> It truly is pathetic.

Bill Hudson is apparently unaware of the C-130's in-flight refueling capability.

Why is this unsurprising

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles,soc.men,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.military.folklore
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:18:08 -0400

billh wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis"

> ones
> them
> > > all
> > > thread.

> > > No, C130's are not used for strategic "moves".  They are used for
> tactical
> > > airlift ("moves") and airdrops ("drops").
> >
> > Can airdrops be strategic?
> >
> > a) no
> > B) yes
>
> Not from a C130 as you stated earlier.

Ever hear of in-flight refueling?

>  Stop embarrassing yourself, wannabe.
>
> KuKuNut, do you even know the difference between the strategic, the
> operational, and the tactical levels of war?  You don't, else you wouldn't
> be trying to defend your idiocy.  This is the same stupidity as the
> "strategic road marches" about which you posted and couldn't defend  months
> ago shortly after you began embarrassing yourself in u.m.a.  Quit playing at
> being knowledgeable about general military subjects and use that energy to
> actually learn something.  You are a simple amateur and a truly pathetic
> wannabe.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: WJP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:26:27 -0500

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:34:02 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
//snipolla//

>I heard that Xenix wasn't all that good.  As a matter of fact, it was
>the poorest O/S around at the time.  Even DOD wouldn't accept it.

Oh, contrare, at least "part" of DOD accepted it.  From 1985 to the
early 90's, we, at a U.S. Army Materiel Command separate reporting
activity in Huntsville, Alabama used Xenix for some administrative and
data base tasks.  I produced one management analysis "final report"
using their word processing program - a Wordstar "lookalike".  I do not
know who made the hardware - we just called it the "Xenix 310" - a
mini-computer with many dumb terminals.  I believe the same system was
used extensively within Redstone Arsenal as well as the Army Materiel
Command around this time-frame.

Regards,
Bill Powell
USAF/USA (Ret) Management Systems Analyst

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unwelcome changes in Linux advocacy.
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:25:20 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> [...]
> > >reports/information, but ...
> > >I'm hiring an MS head rather than a Linux guru as at least they show less
> > >capacity for being personally obnoxious. May I suggest that you consider
> > >evaluating how you "advocate" your hobby ( and it is clearly a hobby rather
> > >than an occupation for most of you
> > >I wish Linux could be rolled back
> > >to when it ran on a 386 DX 16 and Linux users were nice friendly people
> > >(best illustrated by Linus himself).
> >
> > I actually agree with what he said above (apart from the insults,
> > that said I did miss the original thread so it's possible there
> > was provocation).
> >
> > I've read quite a few posts on this newsgroup which have lead me
> > to believe that the majority of (current) Linux users really
> > don't want to be civil. I'm not talking about being excessively
> > polite, just civil - it's easier to keep quiet than be unhelpful,
> > after all.
>
> What's the point of being civil with pathalogical liars.
>
> I think they're shit-eating donkey-rapers, and so I feel no need
> to refrain from letting everyone else know that these "[Mafia$oft]
> can do no wrong" weenies fuck livestock in their spare time.
>

> > In any case, I agree with him that there has been a marked
> > decline in the standard of help available on the more popular
> > newsgroups & irc channels. Bizarrely, to get the best user tips &
> > advice, someone now has to look for a low-traffic developers
> > list/channel and post o/t than go to the appropriate newsgroup.
> >
> > It seems to me that about 80% of the posts in this group (and 90%
> > of all the content of #linpeople or #debian) is way off topic,
> > and only serves to hide the real gems of posts from the people
> > looking for them.
> >
> > A large part of advocacy, after all, is making people who are not
> > familiar with you comfortable in your group. After that it's much
> > easier to explain the benefits of what you have to people. The
> > major problem at the moment is that groups like this one are too
> > popular for their own good,and too many people don't even know
> > the benefits of what they're advocating over proprietary
> > alternatives. this is not healthy.
>
> My preferred technique is the use of a witty repost delivered while
> slicing my opponent's throat.
>

> > I hope people don't think I'm trolling here, I am offerring my
> > perspective on the changes in the Linux community over the years
> > (since 96, when I first discovered linux), and I intend this to
> > be either a constructive commentary on currently available
> > on-line resources, or a basis for discussion on the future of
> > Linux advocacy for the future.
>
> We're sick of MAfia$oft cult-members and their unending stream of lies.
>
> Any abuse aimed at them...is well deserved....many times over
>

> > Thanks for reading,
> > Dave.
> >
> > --
> > David Neary,               E-Mail dave.dot.neary.at.palamon.dot.ie
> > Palamon Technologies Ltd.  Phone +353-1-634-5059

Charming as ever Aarom...

--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Article: Want Media Player 8? Buy Windows XP
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:26:52 -0400

Todd wrote:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Dave Martel wrote:
> > >
> > > Why do I have the feeling that only Media Player 8 and later versions
> > > will eventually be able to play content-protected media?
> > >
> > > <http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5712920.html>
> > >
> > > Want Media Player 8? Buy Windows XP
> > > By Joe Wilcox
> > > Staff Writer, CNET News.com
> > > April 24, 2001, 1:40 p.m. PT
> > >
> > > "Microsoft is requiring consumers who want to use the latest version
> > > of Windows Media Player to upgrade to the new Windows XP operating
> > > system--a move that is reminiscent of the company's controversial
> > > decision to tie the Internet Explorer browser with Windows."
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > "'There are some features with Windows Media Player that can only be
> > > delivered with Windows XP,' said Jonathan Usher, Microsoft's group
> > > product manager for Windows Media Player. These include CD burning and
> > > DVD movie playback, among other features not available with earlier
> > > versions of the product."
> >
> > I'm glad I'm using Linux, and don't have to worry about this
> > kind of shit.
>
> Well, see, with Windows XP, you have a choice.  You can use the free Media
> Player, or you can use one of a bazillion different other media players out
> there... some of them quite good.
>
> You can choose whether or not to use XP or the media player.  Just like you
> chose to use Linux.  So where is the problem?
>
> Of course, all of the good media applications are for Windows, but hey, if
             ^^^                                    ^^^
             some                                ported to

> you are fanatic about Linux, using substandard apps. is the norm.

Most of the high-end media applications are written EXCLUSIVELY for UNIX.

Since the code ports directly to LINUX, it works on Linux with nothing
more than an ftp, followed by

tar xvf tarball.tar
cd some/dir/src
make install
make clean

Hope that helps

> -Todd
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > --
> > "None but a blockhead ever wrote code,
> > except for money."
> >
> >                      Bill Gates

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
From: Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 22:30:41 +1000

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> "Gunner =A9" wrote:
> >=20
> > On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:31:15 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >=20

> > >Gonna come say that to my face?
> >=20
> > WEEEEE! I get dibs on the video rights!  And we can split the fee when
> > we send numbnuts body to a medical school.
> >=20
> > Aaron... try to draw it out as long as possible, so we can see lots of
> > his blood and hear the sounds of breaking bones.. Ive already got a
> > buyer for the master tape.

This is illegal,I hope you know.

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:35:25 GMT

David Neary wrote:

> Hullo wrote:
> >frankly I'm
> >disappointed with the speed with which you as a group resort to foul
> >language, personal insult, invented (or copied) technical
> >reports/information, but ...
> >I'm hiring an MS head rather than a Linux guru as at least they show less
> >capacity for being personally obnoxious. May I suggest that you consider
> >evaluating how you "advocate" your hobby ( and it is clearly a hobby rather
> >than an occupation for most of you
> >I wish Linux could be rolled back
> >to when it ran on a 386 DX 16 and Linux users were nice friendly people
> >(best illustrated by Linus himself).
>
> I actually agree with what he said above (apart from the insults,
> that said I did miss the original thread so it's possible there
> was provocation).
>
> I've read quite a few posts on this newsgroup which have lead me
> to believe that the majority of (current) Linux users really
> don't want to be civil. I'm not talking about being excessively
> polite, just civil - it's easier to keep quiet than be unhelpful,
> after all.
>
> In any case, I agree with him that there has been a marked
> decline in the standard of help available on the more popular
> newsgroups & irc channels. Bizarrely, to get the best user tips &
> advice, someone now has to look for a low-traffic developers
> list/channel and post o/t than go to the appropriate newsgroup.
>
> It seems to me that about 80% of the posts in this group (and 90%
> of all the content of #linpeople or #debian) is way off topic,
> and only serves to hide the real gems of posts from the people
> looking for them.
>
> A large part of advocacy, after all, is making people who are not
> familiar with you comfortable in your group. After that it's much
> easier to explain the benefits of what you have to people. The
> major problem at the moment is that groups like this one are too
> popular for their own good,and too many people don't even know
> the benefits of what they're advocating over proprietary
> alternatives. this is not healthy.
>
> I hope people don't think I'm trolling here, I am offerring my
> perspective on the changes in the Linux community over the years
> (since 96, when I first discovered linux), and I intend this to
> be either a constructive commentary on currently available
> on-line resources, or a basis for discussion on the future of
> Linux advocacy for the future.
>
> Thanks for reading,
> Dave.
>
> --
> David Neary,               E-Mail dave.dot.neary.at.palamon.dot.ie
> Palamon Technologies Ltd.  Phone +353-1-634-5059

I'm only here for a laugh... the other Linux NG's are pretty courteous
and helpful. If you look at it as a cheap source of entertainment, this
place is great. Just grab a mug of warm cocoa, sit back, relax, and let
the flames fly. You won't be disappointed *wink*.
--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Women's rights and responsibilities -- child support
from...non-fathers.
Date: 27 Apr 2001 12:36:21 GMT

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:54:42 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

>> It appears that there is a move towards placing greater emphasis on DNA
>> testing (as a means of challenging paternity) and I for one think that's
>> a good move.
> Yes...but only if the judge ORDERS it, because most female custodial
> parents REFUSE to let a DNA test be done without a court order.

Laws vary on a state-by-state basis.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: 27 Apr 2001 12:37:17 GMT

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:11:27 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:

>> >that's not what you were trying to imply, weasel.
>>
>> Dear, only I know what I tried to imply. However, what I wrote
>> implies what I said, easily.
>>

>So, you admit that you are guilty of trying to mislead the reader.

As usual, you jump to conclussions only armed with ignorance.

>> >that's why I beat you by getting you to admit that, yes, indeed,
>> >the only logical stance is one that people have the FREEDOM to
>> >have firearms (so that, among other things, they can protect themselves).
>>
>> Why are you so obsessed with guns?
>
>I'm not.  I'm responding to your paranoia of them.

I don't have a gun. I know exactly two persons who have guns.
Why should I be paranoid about them? Guns are not part of my life.

>>                                      We were discussing freedom of movement,
>> not freedom to possess guns.
>
>Because private ownership of guns by law abiding citizens is
>essential not only to long-lasting freedom, but also to keeping
>violent crime rates low

And we were discussing freedom of movement. How does it relate?
Should arabian women start saying öh, I can't get out? eat lead!"?

>> So, let me get this straight, you were lying about women in
>> Arabia being better off, in order to win another argument?
>
>I proposed a position, namely, that sacrificing freedom for an illusion
>of safety, is a worthwhile endeavor.

You didn't propose it, you ENDORSED it.

>You, quite rightly, rejected that position....thereby exposing the
>flaw of your "You should outlaw your guns for your own safety" argument.

Argument I obviously have never made in those terms, as your silly
quotes attempt to imply.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: 27 Apr 2001 12:38:13 GMT

Chad Everett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 24 Apr 2001 17:21:51 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>Sure is, to the nation. However..courts have held consistently, that the
>>>State has no obligation to protect the Individual.
>>
>>Protecting the nation is protecting the individuals.
>
>Flawed logical conclusion.

What conclusion? Flawed how?

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles,soc.men,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.military.folklore
Subject: Re: Bill Hudson admits that he, Dave Casey, V-man and Redc1c4  are    liars.
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:39:48 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis"

> > > Can airdrops be strategic?
> > >
> > > a) no
> > > B) yes
> >
> > Not from a C130 as you stated earlier.  Stop embarrassing yourself,
wannabe.
> > It truly is pathetic.
>
> Bill Hudson is apparently unaware of the C-130's in-flight refueling
capability.

> Why is this unsurprising

LOL!!!  And this makes it a strategic asset?  You're actually dumber than
you've previously proven yourself to be.  This is fun.  Keep it up.

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:39:49 +0000 (UTC)

Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> :> They should have inspected some open-source software for ideas, like
:> :> Fvwm95.
:>
:> : Fvwm95 is not software, it's a theme for FVWM2.
:>
:> More of a fvwm2 hack, really.
:>
:> http://www.plig.org/xwinman/fvwm95.html

: I took a look at the site. I wouldn't say it was a hack, since FVWM2 is
: flexible enough to allow this functionality without hacking: the task bar
: is just a module running as a seperate process. The rest are jst window
: decorations.

fvwm is flexible enough now :)  But at the time (fvwm2.0.* or so)
I believe the theming capabilities were still very primative.
Nowadays, just about every Window manager can look like Windows95
(or the MacOS, or Warp, or whatever), which probably explains why
fvwm95 hasn't been updated in nearly 3 years.