From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 - It is an excellent product
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:11:03 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hullo
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:53:51 +0100
<9c1q8q$7r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Wonderful product from Microsoft. Go get it and get used to the future
>dudes.

It's already obsolete.  Windows XP is the future, man.
That is, if you believe the Mighty Microsoft Marketing Machine.

(I'm not sure I do.  I for one believe the market will fragment
into little pieces; Palm Pilot and such at one end, and ultra-powerful
hard iron such as S/390 or even a Connection Machine at the other,
and a lot of things in between.  But don't ask me precisely when. :-) )

>Work on politeness as your manners reflect badly on your linux cause..maybe
>take some exercise and eat more fruit to relieve your evident stress and
>aggression. Learn to relax.
>Assume nothing.

And you're referring to whom, here?  There's nothing in References:,
and you didn't post any of the post to which you were apparently
responding....?  (unless this is a general comment to all of those
who have called you names in the past, perhaps?)

[.sigsnip]

                    [ ] Do you want this message to be private?  Oops, too late.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Fischer)
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:29:18 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Clue for the clueless.
>
>Homosexuality is a defect,

Says who?

> as it interferes with the organism's ability
>to successfully reproduce

You assume that that makes homosexuality a defect.  An assumption
without any supporting evidence.

>(yes, your only TRUE purpose is to pass your
>DNA on to the next generation)

Says who?

--
Ray Fischer         When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  into you  --  Nietzsche

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:16:29 +0200

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Nomen Nescio

> >plus linux is well known to be extremely gay.
>
> As opposed to Win2k, I suppose.  Well, you're entitled to your opinion,
> but I for one find it not all that useful (how is a software product
> "gay" or "straight"?)  Perhaps if you can clarify this puzzlement?
> After all, both have GUIs, both have scrollbars, both have word
> processors, both can do networking, both have a dedicated user base
> (Windows has a much larger total user base, of course), and both can
> be used to promulgate one's business.

Well, it's assume that anyone who is using Linux is gay because he isn't
using Windows[*]

[*] Gay in the cheerful meaning, not the homosexsual meaning.
    Damn, I hate english.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:19:49 +0200

"Chronos Tachyon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:tJnG6.4685$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri 27 Apr 2001 03:53, Ayende Rahien wrote:
>
>   [Snip]
> >>
> >> If, by some stroke of luck, you were able to get Windows to boot off of
> >> slave drive, it would be very confused about which drive to call C: and
> >> why C:\WINDOWS (or C:\WINNT) doesn't exist anymore.
> >
> > Really?
> > I *never* had problems with this.
> > I used to dual boot between 2000Beta3 & NT, each on different HD,
neither
> > had a trouble booting when it was slave (all I needed to do was to
change
> > boot option on the BIOS), the primary master was always c:, until I got
> > tired of that and moved it.
> > Later I removed the NT HD, and for a while I used 2000B3 from slave
(boot
> > sequence, C,A,CDROM), and it didn't have a single problem with it.
> > Win9x goes by the boot order in the BIOS, BTW. (If the BIOS is set to
> > (D,blah,blah) the second bootable HD is C:, the rest follow its
> > leadership.
> >

> Hmph.  My information must be out of date -- I distinctly recall coming
> across problems with Win9x not liking anything but the first partition on
> the master drive of the first bus.  Maybe MS fixed that in Win98 when I
> wasn't looking.  Presumably, it works by calling whichever partition it
> booted from C: and relettering the rest?

Yes, at least I assume so, been to long since I used 9x.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Fischer)
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,us.military.army
Subject: Re: Primary and secondary missions
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:29:59 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>chrisv wrote:
>> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >yes, your only TRUE purpose is to pass your
>> >DNA on to the next generation
>>
>> That's secondary to just getting laid.  8)
>
>No, you have it backwards.  Propagating DNA is the primary mission.

Says who?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:39:19 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Terry Porter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on 27 Apr 2001 05:27:27 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On 26 Apr 2001 23:57:08 -0500, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:9c6rsi$j17$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>>
>>> "Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>>> There is a perfectly legal trial version.
>>> If you can't afford it (I think it's 5$), then you've other problems.
>>
>> He runs Linux - he can't afford a haircut - what makes you think he could
>> afford real software?
>What makes you think Windows *is* 'real software' ??

Oh, it's real enough -- that's part of the problem. :-)

>> Remember - linux is free if your time is worth nothing.
>
>Remember Windows is expensive from the moment you buy it, and thats just the
>start. More memory, faster CPU's, constant 'upgrades' and the fear of never
>knowing what is really happening inside the Windows software.
>
>Then we have tens of thousands of virii and backdoor snooper apps ie
>Back Orifice, Netbus and Sub7.
>
>Johanson is only misleading himself if he thinks the $400 he put down for
>Win2k is the end of his costs.

$400 = about a half day of a high-priced consultant's time.  Presumably,
a half day would be enough for a technically proficient newbie to
at least get a working system, absent such issues as incompatible hardware
(few and getting fewer), bad hardware ("Surprise!  Your power supply
needs upgrading!"), and other such things, with a little handholding
(read /usr/doc, browse http://www.linux-help.org, etc.).

One advantage Windows does have is vendor support -- in the sense that
a vendor, once he's gotten a more or less working version of Win2k,
can duplicate it thousands or millions of times and have preinstalled
'puters out there on the shelves, just awaiting purchase, and they
will be bought -- by those who don't know better, if nothing else.
Once purchased, one just plugs it in, types in the number on his CD
(I doubt they've changed that), and it goes.  All of a minute at most.

Even Linux can't compete directly with that, although my understanding
is that some mail-order vendors (Dell among them) are selling
pre-installed Linux machines [*] -- and in any event distribution
maintainers (which could be anyone and everyone who contributes to
freeware software projects such as Debian) have done an excellent job
of making CDs that slap in and go, taking at most about an hour, if not
far less, to install over an existing Windows system, *with* a Windows
system (FIPS or Partition Magic), or a system built at home from
various parts with no OS at all.

Network installs are even more fun, although tricky to get started.
I've put RedHat 6.2 on a machine sans CD-ROM; once I got out
the firewall, I could download what I want.  I did Debian that
way, too, at home (the bit to download is rather small; one can
then select what one wants using dselect on an incremental basis --
it's very slick).

One could do the same imaging technique with Linux, of course,
although it's not usually necessary as it turns out.  (Personally,
I like to partition my systems a certain way, anyway.  But I'm
probably more sophisticated than a first-time user; I've used Unix
since 1980 and Linux since 0.99pl12 or so, which IIRC was in 1994.
I'd *love* to see them get it done more or less right by default:
/ a smallish (100MB) partition, /var about 300 MB or so, /usr a 1gig,
maybe /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 somewhere else, /home taking up the
rest of the disk or on a completely different disk, everything under
/usr mounted read-only on bootup, to be mounted read-write only
when installing new software.  Of course, YMMV; one problem is
that there are only 4 primary partitions, which might scare
off people.  Fortunately, that's not a problem for Linux, although
it depends on the disk geometry.)

I rarely even boot into Windows95, anymore.

[.sigsnip]

[*] Unfortunately, I'm not sure they're all that prominently featured.
    They also tend to cost more -- it may be because of the quality
    of the components, the vendor's insecurity about certain hardware
    (e.g., Winmodems and display cards), or a vendor's guessing that those
    purchasing Linux might want higher-powered display boards and
    faster drives, etc.; those that go by rock-bottom system price, and
    there are a fair number, will miss the Linux and go for the Windows
    because it's cheaper out of the box -- one pays in other ways.

                    I don't hate Microsoft.  Just their products.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:37:53 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "You've got MALE.. sex organs!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Aaron can still masturbate, whether he is left or right handed..

As Billy Connolly said, sit on your chosen hand first and wait until
it goes numb. Then it seems like someone else is doing it. :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.men
Subject: Re: Women's rights and responsibilities.
Date: 28 Apr 2001 00:52:11 GMT

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:58:46 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> Consider the fact that upon graduation, an undergraduate Physics major
>> is expected to understand everything that Einstein knew about physics,
>> and more.
>
> Bollocks. How many undergraduate physics students study GR? They don't
> study the mathematics for GR for a start.

You'd be surprised -- in Australia, they can take GR in undergrad (honors
year, which is fourth year there).

However, I don't think they learn it in the same depth as Einstein. For
starters, they don't cover the math properly. The math for GR is at a
high enough level that if you understand it, you're probably publishing
papers (or working on publishables)

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Rocks!
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:18:42 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hullo
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 22 Apr 2001 04:30:35 +0100
<9btjab$n5v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>It is incredibly excellent dude. You know it, I know it. It rocks.

OK, one more time, and this time I'll type slowly....what is it
that you like about Windows 2000 that you just couldn't live without,
and that Linux doesn't already have?

[snip for brevity]

                    Microsoft.  Just when you thought you were safe.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:21:32 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Edward Rosten
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:39:58 +0100
<9c0pnp$sid$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> And up from the big iron like the S/390 in to clusters in the top 500.
>>>

>> That must be an old list there - isn't it now high up the top 10 ( isn't
>>  there a linux cluster at around number 4)?
>
>Sorry. I stand corrected.
>
>Well, enev better :-)

Erm, I seem to have missed something here....clusters of what?

S/390 nodes?  Beowulf project?  Transputer??

I'm genuinely curious now.

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random cluster of confusion here

From: Larry Elmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:22:29 GMT

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:27:28 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >"James A. Robertson" wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm sure that I read that in a fiction thriller - are you sure it's a
> >> real story?
> >>

> >Yes.  The CIA intercepted a large high-speed printer.  They had the
> >specs (from the vendor's records) of exactly what machine it was
> >getting hooked up to, etc.
> >
> >The printer was then used as a carrier to deliver a virus into the
> >main machine, said virus then distributing itself throughout the
> >Iraqi command-and-control net.
> >

> Can you cite a source for this?

I'm almost certain this is an urban legend. IIRC, a Japanese paper
picked up the story from an American tabloid (?), then it was picked up
by the AP in Japan and brought back to America as "news".

Larry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Windows 2K is crappy: a couple of examples
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:27:46 GMT

I have a TDK VeloCD 12x/12x/40x with BurnProof and it works fantastic.
I believe it stops the writing process if a buffer overrun is detected
and waits for things to catch up.

I have not made a single coaster and I use el-cheapo Imagine That and
Prime Peripherals blanks.

It is also dependent upon the software being used.

Nero 5.x supports BurnProof.

Does Linux?

Somehow I doubt it.......

FlatFish

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:39:35 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Nils Zonneveld
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 23 Apr 2001 00:28:36 +0200
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>[SNip: quite correct observation]
>
>> And with such things as KDE and Gnome, Linux et al has a number
>> of choices of pretty GUIs -- and the Linux ones tend to be
>> more useful, if one has half a clue.  Or one can roll one's own,
>> albeit that takes a bit of work.  (I'll admit I'm weird; Athena
>> looked extremely ugly but was reasonably easy to work with.
>> Modern variants have improved on its appearance, though.)
>>

>On the issue of GUI's: once you've worked on Mac, you even dare to call
>the X-windows junk that ships with Linux a GUI.

It's graphical and it's a user interface.  Whaddaya want,
animated paper clips?  :-P

I'll admit, though, from what little I've seen of it, the
Mac GUI is just this short of gorgeous (dunno if the demo I saw
on an iMac is OS 9 or OS X -- probably OS 9, since it was some
months ago).  However, the engineer in me is slightly offended -- what
is the point of zooming a page through the side of a view window as
the other page comes in the other side?  Gewgawery again, although a
bit more substantial (and hinting at more power!) than the simplistic
fading menus of Win2k.  One hopes that that power can be put to
real use -- games, simulations, and video.  :-)  I suspect that it can.

Of course, I'm also offended at the notion that people buy
things for the surface paint color.  :-)

[.sigsnip]

                    [select one]
                    [ ] Check here to always trust monopolistic software.
                    Linux.  When Microsoft isn't enough anymore.
                    I am, you are, he, she, and it is, but they're not.
                    All hail the Invisible Pink Unicorn (pbuh)!
                    Most likely, no neutrinos were found during this message.
                    [ ] Check here to always trust monopolistic software.
                    A man and his roomie walked into a bar...."Ouch", they said.
                    No electrons were harmed during this message.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 28 Apr 2001 01:58:45 GMT

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:05:09 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > Actually I should have read on to further posts, as this question was
>> > answered by Eric in a later post.
>> >
>> > When I posted this, I thought 'load and unload' allowed users to
>> > install whatever drivers they liked.
>> >
>> > Aparently it only means users can load and unload drivers installed on
> the
>> > system by the superuser.
>>
>> If it's so benign, then how come it isn't the default?
>>
>> What's to stop someone from, say, unloading the SCSI driver?
>
> You don't usually give such rights to people you don't trust.  What's to
> stop someone from sending low-level commands to the burner and causing it to
> lock the SCSI bus?
Do you mean under Windows?

Under Linux, I can burn cd's as a unpriveliged localuser, plus this CD burner
is a IDE unit, Linux pretends its a scsi, tho there are is scsi hardware
on this pc.

I'm not sure I could do any damage to this system via the CD, as a local user.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 28 Apr 2001 02:04:46 GMT

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:27:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a TDK VeloCD 12x/12x/40x with BurnProof and it works fantastic.
> I believe it stops the writing process if a buffer overrun is detected
> and waits for things to catch up.
>
> I have not made a single coaster and I use el-cheapo Imagine That and
> Prime Peripherals blanks.
>
> It is also dependent upon the software being used.
>
> Nero 5.x supports BurnProof.
>
> Does Linux?
>
> Somehow I doubt it.......
Does Linux need it ?
I've burnt about 5cd's now and they all used no less than 98% of the buffer,
with no failures.

Linux gives us excellent system status feedback,
"Steve,Mike,Heather,Simon,teknite,keymaster,keys88,Sewer Rat,
S,Sponge,Sarek,piddy,McSwain,pickle_pete,Ishmeal_hafizi,Amy,
Simon777,Flatfish+++"

unlike your pretty little Windows GUI's.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:51:04 GMT

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 26 Apr 2001 23:57:08 -0500, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:9c6rsi$j17$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> "Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> There is a perfectly legal trial version.
> >> If you can't afford it (I think it's 5$), then you've other problems.
> >
> >He runs Linux - he can't afford a haircut - what makes you think he could
> >afford real software?
> >
> >Remember - linux is free if your time is worth nothing.
> >

> Remember Windows costs money, you'll have to buy additional software to
> make Windows even functional, and you'll have to spend even more money
> in the form of time after that, unless your time is worth nothing.

Hmm, a default Windows install is pretty functional for me.

What specifically are you talking about?

-c