From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (theRadical)
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 20:28:30 GMT

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:40:05 GMT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>   theRadical> On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:12:19 GMT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   wrote>
>
>   >>>>>>> theRadical  writes:
>   >>
>   >> >>> >   >> >You claimed that anyone who can't "prove" to your satisfaction that
>they
>   >> >>> >   >> >need a weapon should have it confiscated.
>   >>
>   >> >>> >   >> i never said such a thing.  you are lying. your conjecture is not
>   >> >>> >   >> fact.  otherwise, post the quote
>   >> >>> >   >> right here --------->
>   >>
>   >> >>> >   Aaron> No need.  Your reputations preceeds you.
>   >>
>   >> >>> >Gee, what a surprise, Mr. Kulkis fails to back his words
>   >> >>> >(for the record, I have no idea if he was correct here,
>   >> >>> >I am just pointing out an example of his consistent failure
>   >> >>> >to back up his statements).
>   >>
>   >> >>> for the record, since i believe in various forms of gun control,
>   >> >>> kulkis believes i am a fascists who wants to confiscate every gun i
>   >> >>> america.
>   >>
>   >> >> Every law-abiding citizen without mental problems should be able to
>   >> >> have as many guns as they want.
>   >>
>   theRadical> it isn't so much the quantity as it is the type you lying fucking gun
>   theRadical> nut.
>   >>
>   >> What types do you think should be regulated?  Why?
>
>   theRadical> i would be happy to discuss my gun control ideas with you.  however,
>   theRadical> this thread was not about gun issues until kulkis brought it up
>   theRadical> because he was losing on other fronts.  whenever he gets beat up, he
>   theRadical> goes for what he believes is his strong suit.
>
>You did not answer the question.

i know, i also stated why.

>Warning, I am likely to agree with Mr. Kulkis on gun regulation issues.

so what?  then you would both be wrong.

------------------------------

From: "Michael Pye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: IE
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:25:20 +0100

"Neil Cerutti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

> It wouldn't work for somebody who wanted their own CSS style
> sheet to override yours, either.

> That's kind of a mouthful considering how much information I've
> read using Lynx. ;-)

Well, the Eldar tactics is over 16,000 words. It had to be slipt into 5
seperate files. It's a bit of a headache to flick through without a mouse
and scroll bars

> But, yeah, it looks nice with CSS turned on. I just wish you could
> be done without eschewing headings tags.

Oh it can be done, but I don't find it as reliable... Maybe I could drop
some <b>...</b> tags round the header. Redundant if CSS is on (as titles
will already be bold), makes the titles stand out a bit if they are off...

I'll think about it next time I overhaul the design...

MP

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (theRadical)
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 20:30:23 GMT

wrote:

>   theRadical> On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:12:19 GMT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   wrote>
>
>   >>>>>>> theRadical  writes:
>   >>
>   >> >>> >   >> >You claimed that anyone who can't "prove" to your satisfaction that
>they
>   >> >>> >   >> >need a weapon should have it confiscated.
>   >>
>   >> >>> >   >> i never said such a thing.  you are lying. your conjecture is not
>   >> >>> >   >> fact.  otherwise, post the quote
>   >> >>> >   >> right here --------->
>   >>
>   >> >>> >   Aaron> No need.  Your reputations preceeds you.
>   >>
>   >> >>> >Gee, what a surprise, Mr. Kulkis fails to back his words
>   >> >>> >(for the record, I have no idea if he was correct here,
>   >> >>> >I am just pointing out an example of his consistent failure
>   >> >>> >to back up his statements).
>   >>
>   >> >>> for the record, since i believe in various forms of gun control,
>   >> >>> kulkis believes i am a fascists who wants to confiscate every gun i
>   >> >>> america.
>   >>
>   >> >> Every law-abiding citizen without mental problems should be able to
>   >> >> have as many guns as they want.
>   >>
>   theRadical> it isn't so much the quantity as it is the type you lying fucking gun
>   theRadical> nut.
>   >>
>   >> What types do you think should be regulated?  Why?
>
>   theRadical> i would be happy to discuss my gun control ideas with you.  however,
>   theRadical> this thread was not about gun issues until kulkis brought it up
>   theRadical> because he was losing on other fronts.  whenever he gets beat up, he
>   theRadical> goes for what he believes is his strong suit.
>
>You did not answer the question.  Warning, I am likely
>to agree with Mr. Kulkis on gun regulation issues.

of course to kulkis, anything short of complete unfettered access to
firearms is treasonous neo-stalinism.  is that you view as well?

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel versus Sparc
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:39:55 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said mlw in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:09:19 -0400;
> >Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> >> Figured it couldn't be compiler bugs!  After some
> >> more dicking around with cleaning up some of
> >> the myriad of warnings, I noticed that the
> >> bad function was pushing an array of structures
> >> onto the stack.  Looking at the size of the array,
> >> found it was 64 Mb!
> >>
> >> At that point, we realized that the Intel platform
> >> was the cause of the trouble (not to mention the
> >> dumb way of allocating/using such a large buffer).
> >> The code had been originally developed on a SparcStation.
> >>
> >> So, be careful about thinking PC's are the best
> >> things around, just because they are much more
> >> powerful than they used to be.
> >
> >What you are talking about has nothing to do with the "Intel." It has to do
> >with the operating system AND/OR the compiler.
>
> Well, the fact that it affects only operating systems and/or compilers
> on Intel platforms seems to contradict your otherwise-valid observation.

I don't have this problem on Linux.

--
I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.
========================

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft hit new security 'level' :-)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:40:04 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9cbcsl$adm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > As
> > hard

> > > Have you ever used UNIX before, because most people will know is that as
> > > soon as a fix becomes available, the company/distro posts it, compared to
> > > Microsoft where you have to wait 3 months for a service pack that is not
> > > guaranteed to fix the problems you are facing.  I would rather more
> > > patches, than waiting in limbo for two months hoping that my server
> > doesn't
> > > crash because I was waiting for the next service pack to be released.
> >
> > What does that have to do with "keeping up" with the number of fixes?
> >
> > In any event, MS releases "hot fixes".  There are quite a few of them, and
> > they come out between service packs.
> >

> > > Matthew Gardiner
> > > --
> > > Disclaimer:
> > >
> > > I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
> > >
> > > If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
> > >
> > > Running SuSE Linux 7.1
> > >
> > > The best of German engineering, now in software form
> > >

> Ho fixes are for major issues, however, what about minor issues that may

I thought a "ho fix" was a vial of crack...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:40:55 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winvocates confuse me - d'oh!

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> The XP look and feel was taken from KDE, shit-head.

Really?  But isn't that a compliment to the KDE team, though?  In
reality, most things are influenced, if not copied, from everything
else.  KDE took some ideas from the Windows and Mac GUIs, Microsoft took
their ideas, expounded on them a little, and created the GUI for Xp.
Now KDE comes along, and expounds on XP a little.  I don't see what the
big deal is, though.  There's still a big difference in design and usage
philosphy between Linux and other unices and Windows XP, with or without
KDE or GNOME.

You're just pissed because they didn't copy the Windows 98 GUI.  Hehehe!

Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:44:05 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts

Neil Cerutti wrote:

> On the other hand, Windows 98 Supremely Su ks. But it's great for
> games and watching movies and listening to MP3s.

That's pretty much it.  They don't call it a "Wintendo" box for
nothing!  Windows does have a big edge in playing MPEG music videos,
although freeBSD and Linux are both very good at playing MP3's.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Am I a feminist?  (was Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:44:13 -0400

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : No, they don't. See the above definition. A feminist is anyone who does
> : that specified in the above definition.
>
> I advocate women's rights on the grounds that women are at least equal
> to men.
>
> However, I disagree with nearly everything else that today's so-called
> "feminists" teach.
>
> I don't believe that women are an oppressed minority.  (They are in
> fact a majority almost everywhere in the world outside of China.)
>
> I don't believe that, on the basis of statistical averages, women are
> equal to men in *every* respect.  They tend on average to be better
> than we are at some things, and worse at others.  I suspect, but
> cannot prove, that there are more things, and more important things,
> that they do better than us, than things we do better than they.
>
> At any rate, I prefer to relate to people as people, not as members of
> some huge composite group consisting of the entire half of the human
> race which happens to share the same gender.
>
> I don't believe in government-mandated "equal pay" schemes because,
> like other government-mandated intrusions in labor markets such as
> "minimum wage" laws, they greatly increase unemployment among the very
> groups of people they allegedly are intended to help.
>
> I believe that, while real cases of sexual harrassment are still all
> too common, most complaints of such harrassment are bunk.
>
> I believe that marriage contracts should be enforced as would be any
> other contract.  They ought to be entered into far less lightly than
> they tend to be, and ought to be exited from rarely if ever.
>
> I believe that easy divorce and single parenthood are among the WORST
> things ever to happen to women, even though these are among the very
> things that many feminists insist on above all else.
>
> I don't believe women would be just as well off without men.  And I
> sure as hell know that men wouldn't be better off without women.
>
> I don't believe that women or anyone else have the right to murder
> their unborn children.
>
> I prefer most women to most men, as friends, as lovers (sorry, I'm a
> flaming hetero), as co-workers, as business associates.  They have
> strengths that complement mine, and often excel in areas in which I
> find myself lacking, and the converse is sometimes true as well.
>
> But except for being a flaming hetero, I don't exclude men from any of
> those roles simply because they aren't women.
>
> I believe in holding doors open for women, not because they aren't
> capable of opening doors themselves, but because it is a sign of
> courtesy and respect.
>
> I believe that women are of infinite value and worth, not just because
> of what they do, but who they are.
>
> But I also believe that this is true of all people.
>
> Am I a feminist?
>
> According to your definition, I am.
>
> But somehow I doubt that Gloria Steinem, Andrea Dworkin, Molly Yard,
> [...]

But they will be glad to include you as "a feminist" when doing
nose counts to claim that their ideas are popular.

> And I would be more than a little frightened if they did.
>
> Joe

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:45:23 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On 29 Apr 2001 14:23:37 GMT, Joseph T. Adams wrote:
> > Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > I don't believe that, on the basis of statistical averages, women are
> > equal to men in *every* respect.
>
> To state that this was the case would indeed be pure silliness, given the
> overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

But feminists claimed EXACTLY that for 30 years.

When only a couple years ago, TIME magazine had a SINGLE article about
"the differences between men and women", it caused a MAJOR furor in
feminist circles.

> > They tend on average to be better
> > than we are at some things, and worse at others.  I suspect, but
> > cannot prove, that there are more things, and more important things,
> > that they do better than us, than things we do better than they.
>
> If one were to believe that they have better memory, and language skills,
> then they would make good doctors (for example). In Australia, women are
> outnumbering men in medical schools.
>
> > I don't believe in government-mandated "equal pay" schemes because,
> > like other government-mandated intrusions in labor markets such as
> > "minimum wage" laws, they greatly increase unemployment among the very
> > groups of people they allegedly are intended to help.
>
> Minimum wages are not excessively high, they are merely high enough that
> any honest employer will pay at least that much. They are only there
> to help fight the proliferation of sweatshops.
>
> > I believe that, while real cases of sexual harrassment are still all
> > too common, most complaints of such harrassment are bunk.
>
> On what basis do you believe that ? Firstly, most cases are not reported,
> because if the harassment is based only on positive enforcement, it's less
> likely that a complaint would be filed.
>
> Another reason that most cases are not high profile is that there tends to
> be a "community policing" approach to the problem, which means a complaint
> resolution mechanism that places an emphasis on resolving cases quietly
> without embarrassing or hurting either party. IMO, an increased awareness
> on this issue has caused considerably more good than harm (that's not a
> typo)
>
> > I believe that marriage contracts should be enforced as would be any
> > other contract.  They ought to be entered into far less lightly than
> > they tend to be, and ought to be exited from rarely if ever.
>
> What do you mean by "enforced as any other contract" ?
>
> > I believe that easy divorce and single parenthood are among the WORST
> > things ever to happen to women, even though these are among the very
> > things that many feminists insist on above all else.
>
> How would you like divorce made harder ? Would you like it to be harder
> for women to divorce abusive alcoholics ? The issue is not nearly as
> simple as you make it sound.
>
> Divorce is already difficult, even when the couple in question can come
> to an agreement without going to court.
>
> I'm not sure why you're lumping the two together anyway -- I would
> have thought that out of wedlock pregnancy is more likely than divorce
> to be the primary "cause" of single parenthood.
>
> --
> Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> elflord at panix dot com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:51:06 -0400

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The upgrade
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:51:37 -0400

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> I upgraded my 400MHz Pentium PII to a VIA system with an AMD Duron 850MHz.
>
> Windows 98 SE reinstalled everything and had to reboot a few times to
> complete the change over. It also sometimes crashes on shutdown.
>
> Linux SuSE 7.1 just... worked. Hey!

Pete is finally starting to retreat from the dark side.

> --
> Pete

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:53:32 -0400

jim wrote:

> > > Linux SuSE 7.1 just... worked. Hey!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Pete
> > >
> > I had the same thing happen when I upgraded my mobo around 1998
> > Win98 went into 'safe' mode, and RedHat4.2 worked as usual.
>
> I have installed DOS V6.2 in every x86 box I have trouble with - no problem.
> Linux installs with a but......but......but........ if you did THIS and did
> THAT......
>
> Unix is for Physics Majors and Chemistry teachers.

.........and everybody else who has better things to do than scare
at a fucking blue screen with cryptic error messages about which you
can't do anything anyways...

>                                                    Please leave it to the
> experts!
>
> "Redhat working as normal"