From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 01:10:34 +0200

In article <dJZI6.6119$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> "Roy Culley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [snip]
>> Sun's Sunview desktop environment was an excellent user environment.
>> It would run on a Sun 3/50 with 4MB ram and was very fast. Then they
>> developed OpenWindows which was again an excellent desktop including
>> drag and drop. Being based on X remote displaying of X clients was
>> available. It was slow and needed a fast workstation Sun 3/80 (fast at
>> the time) and at least 8MB ram to be usable. Sun started to develop
>> NeWS (display postscript) at this time but made the mistake of keeping
>> it proprietary and it just never got off the launch pad. A great shame
>> as it was reputedly far superior to X.
>
> These efforts at providing a user interface toolkit
> and graphics engine were not adequate. And I do not
> think they reveal an intention on Suns part to go into
> the desktop area; the limited tools Sun did provide
> were appropriate for the applications then being
> run on Suns.

Sun started off producing workstations not servers. It was about the
time they produced OpenWindows that the server market really took
off. Sun basically gave up the desktop (apart from workstations used
by system developers) and concentrated on the server market. It was
when BG announced that NT was going to be a better Unix than Unix that
the battle with Microsoft started. This was a direct assault on Sun's,
and the other major Unix server companies (HP and IBM to name but 2),
server business. Microsoft lost that battle and W2K was too little too
late. Now Sun are again going for the desktop with their sunblade and
by adopting gnome as the destop GUI. Interesting times ahead.

>> Then there was NeXT. Again a great Unix desktop system.
>
> Very unlike other Unixes. Was it even offically
> a Unix?
>
> I admit I overlooked it, but I don't think it's
> representative of Unix in general.

You're right of course. NeXT was a serious attempt to put Unix on the
desktop. Sadly it was just too expensive / ahead of its time.

  [snip]

> I *strongly* suggest that printing *must* be
> addressed as soon as possible. I honestly see
> very little movement on that front.

I don't understand this printing problem that Unix supposedly
has. Unix apps normally produce postscript. Unix lpr uses filters to
see what the data type to be printed is. If you don't have a
postscript printer the filter will use ghostscript to convert it to
pcl or whatever. I now have a Lexmark z52 which has its own Linux
driver. To me it is totally transparent.  Before I had an
HP850C. Again printing was totally transparent. Where is the problem?

>> The next couple of years are going to be
>> fascinating. It is clear that Linux and the BSD's are going to
>> continue dominating the Internet server market.
>
> They have an enviable position, indeed.

And it is the Internet server market which is the biggest threat to
Microsoft's .net strategy.

>> The desktop is going to be the great battleground.
>> Microsoft are right to be seriously worried.
>
> MS is worried about their server offerings, and they
> should be.
>
> But the desktop is not again going to be
> a great battleground until somebody offers
> a product competitive with Windows
> for producing desktop apps.

The main apps required by businesses are word processing,
spreadsheets, PIM's, presentations, etc. These are all available under
the various unix's today. The problem is not that you can only do
these things with Microsoft OS and applications but the deep
infiltration of Microsoft into companies IT infrastructure. The
inertia to change is enormous. The slow adoption of W2K shows that
company's are not willing to fork out for new licences and upgrade
hardware just because Microsoft says so. When the CFO's are presented
with the cost of staying on the Microsoft bandwagon compared to
cheaper alternatives the tide will change. Even if company's don't
want to move away from Microsoft why upgrade when NT4 serves them
well. This is Microsoft's great fear. They rely on the constant
upgrade cycle. The business community has had enough. And now OSS is
offering cheaper, higher quality business applications. As import and
export filters improve between Microsoft proprietory formats the
reliance on Microsoft products will diminish.

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 19:58:29 -0400

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Daniel Johnson wrote:
> > > You seem quite fixated on your opinion that Microsoft
> > > has transgressed the letter of the law in producing a better
> > >

> > What "better product" would that be?
>
> That'd be Windows.

Windows is produced to be ..."good enough" - to some people. To the rest
of us, it is crap.

> > BTW, why do you thnk they signed
> > that first consent decree?
>
> They thought they could avoid being sued.
>
> Wrongly, as it turned out.

The consent decree did aoid them from getting sued. The second actions
was because Microsft kept up their criminal behavior.

> > > It's odd. Does it not occur to you that perhaps the law
> > > might not so good?
> >
> > Tell that to Stac, Digital Research, Vobis, Go Computing, Intuit, the
> > FTC, the DOJ, and the several States Attorneys General.
>
> I think the DoJ and the attorneys general, at least, *need* to be
> told that they are out of line, yes.

They are NOT out of line. You just keep stick your head in the sand.

> > maybe you are right. Maybe it isnt ough enough. Micro$oft keeps slipping
> > through.
>
> Fortunately.
>
> This country isn't quite as corrupt as it looks, sometimes.

We arent talking about the country. You keep trying to sidestep. we are
taking about Micro$oft and its unethical, immoral and illegal beghavior.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles,soc.men,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: Bill Hudson admits that he, Dave Casey, V-man and Redc1c4
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 19:57:18 -0400

billh wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>
> > That's Bill's primary purpose in life.
>
> Then I'd suggest that you quit drinking kerosene, wannabe.

So says the man who thinks that the difference between "strategic airlift"
and "tactical airlift" is the airframe doing it, and not the mission itself.

And you claim to be a commissioned officer?

Bwwwwwwwwahahahahha..

Cadidiot is more like it.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Jonathan Martindell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: where's the linux performance?
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 20:00:05 -0400

Hi all,

I'm just a beginning Linux user.  I've recently tried Linux-Mandrake 7.2 and
then Linux-Mandrake 8.0 and also Caldera OpenLinux 2.4.  I've been very
disappointed in the performance of all of these.  My machine, I think,
should be more than adaquate: 708MHz celeron fcppga cpu, 256 meg rams, 10
gig partition for linux (20 for windows 2000) on Ultra66.  I've tried
running KDE, Gnome, and Icevm.  Programs like KMail take over 10 seconds to
load.  StarOffice takes a really long time too.  When I'm using win2000 I
never have this problem.  Even on comparable software.  Forte for Java and
StarOffice both load many, many times faster in windows vs linux.  Do you
think that my linux isn't configured for maximum performance?  I've spent
some time looking through websites and have noticed an increase when I use
the hdparm tool but nothing extrodinary.  If this is the extent of the linux
performance than I don't think I'll be sticking with it.  However, if it
just requires more work than setting up windows and you ultimately get
greater performance than I will definitely stick with it.  I enjoy tinkering
with computers in that way.  What do all of you think of this?  Do you know
of any websites that show the results of linux benchmarks?  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Sincerely,
Jonathan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux
Date: 06 May 2001 00:00:07 GMT

On Sat, 05 May 2001 11:22:22 GMT,
 Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> says...
>
>> > It is? I've just demonstrated in another post that it takes far less
>> > steps in Word to write and print a letter.
And I pointed out that your wrong, it only takes less steps than Word
if you initiate Lyx from a Xterm

If Lyx is initiated from a icon, menu, or automatically via
filetype, then the number of steps are the same.

I also pointed out that Lyx can be run remotely, something
Word cannot be, without 3rd party apps.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 20:10:36 -0400

JS PL wrote:

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > JS PL wrote:
> > >
> > > "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > ever
> > > witnesses

> license
> shipped
> > > with a
> obligated
> > > an
> > > that
> every
> license
> on
> > > contained

> > > could
> (Exh.
> > > 2)
> > > C005866;
> of
> (Lum
> > > Dep.
> at
> > > 30.)

> half
> > > of
> OEM's
> > > still
> they
> > > want.

> of

> offered
> > > per
> OEM
> 1993,
> covered
> > > by
> year,
> per
> year
> > > 1991,

> > > royalty
> Microsoft
> > > OEMs to
> processor
> > > Testimony
> > > 23-24;
> Investigative
> Other
> > > OEMs
> > > offered
> of
> 111-13;
> 187.)

> difference

> be

> addition
> for
> if
> > >
> > > The Microsoft File! Come on....I'd rather hear the National Enquirer's
> take
> > > on Microsoft dealings.
> > > Lieven took the deal because he (*and everyone) knew there was scant
> demand
> > > for DR DOS
> >
> > If there was scant demand for DR-DOS, why did Lieven want to continue to
> > give customers a choice?
>
>  He was perfectly free to continue giving his customers the choice. Why
> would Microsoft care? The demand wasn't there for DR DOS anyway and it would
> have no effect on MS sales.

In 1991 Vobis was the largest computer manufacturer in Germany, possibly
Europe. 100% of the computers it shipped had DR-DOS. How is that scant
demand?

> >And why did Micro$oft add features to keep up
> > with DR-DOS?
>
> It wasn't meant to keep up with DR DOS. There is still scant demand for a
> command line operating system, even to this day believe it or not.
> Microsoft added a GUI, and desired to only support DOS/Windows combinations.
> That is their right.

I believe you will find (if you look around) that Micro$oft lowered it
prices in 1988 to counter the presence of DR-DOS. Once DR-DOS was dead,
prices rose again. IIRCm DOS 5 included compression, becasue DR-DOS
included it. Now, what do you call that?

> > > There was no "threat" by Kempin.
> >
> > Then why did  Lieven testify that there was?
>
> I don't know. To harm Microsoft maybe.  Maybe by adding the one little word
> "threat" he hoped it would have an adverse effect on Microsoft and thus
> benefit his own pocketbook

Of course, he couldnt be telling the truth, could he? That would burst
your little bubble.

.

--
Rick