Linux-Advocacy Digest #235, Volume #34            Sat, 5 May 01 22:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: To Aaron (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: Article: Want Media Player 8? Buy Windows XP ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Linux disgusts me (Terry Porter)
  Re: Linux disgusts me (Terry Porter)
  Re: Linux has one chance left......... (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: MS Must be getting really desperate (Craig Kelley)
  Re: The long slow slide to Microsoft.NOT ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: Linux has one chance left......... (Terry Porter)
  Re: The long slow slide to Microsoft.NOT (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Microsoft standards... (was Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product) (Bob
Hauck)
  Re: Linux has one chance left......... (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: Just how commercially viable is OSS?... (Was Re: Interesting MS  speech on
OSS/GPL ( /. hates it so it's good)) ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Linux has one chance left......... (Terry Porter)
  Re: Microsoft standards... (was Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product) ("Ayende
Rahien")
  Re: Linux has one chance left......... (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: Microsoft standards... (was Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product) ("Chad
Myers")

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To Aaron
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 13:25:41 -0700

> Free trade does not require international free trade.  Its called "free
> trade for US firms within the US", and whether foreign companies get to
> participate is entirely up to the US, and whether we think it would
> benefit us; it is presumed if allowed that it would benefit the foreign
> company, which is why we use tariffs and subsidies rather than simple
> regulation.  If it is worth their while to overcome this 'uneven playing
> field' (actually an even playing field, taking both the international
> capital and the international production into account) then they can
> benefit from the opportunity of free trade within the U.S.
>
> When it comes down to it, if you are unable to say "fuck everyone else"
> if it is necessary to avoid "fuck me", then you are simply not being
> honest, or reasonable.
>
> I'm not claiming that every aspect of the U.S. position on tariffs and
> subsidies is reasonable, or even honest.  I'm merely pointing out that
> presuming otherwise is begging the question.
Just in the latest study, New Zealand is the third most liberal country,
in terms of business policy next to Hong Kong and Singapore. With that
outstanding stat, what are US business still picking their asses whilst
trying to maintain a presence in one of the over regulated countries in
the OECD.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Article: Want Media Player 8? Buy Windows XP
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 04:25:21 +0200

"green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9d28j3$b60$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > whether they bought it or not, powerpoint is bad even when comparing
> > to other ms products.  why they just don't expand word to turn the
> > page in landscape and do big fonts i'll never know.
>
> to hard for the time pressed ms users ( all my uni lectures are done in
> power point, using standard templates. no imagination needed.)
>

> put it in word and it becomes two hard.
>
> and even more bloated. by keeping features down you can help minimise
bugs.

Have you *seen* Word's feature list?
The only thing it can't do is to make you coffee, and that is because no one
makes a USB coffee-maker.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux disgusts me
Date: 06 May 2001 01:25:33 GMT

On Sat, 5 May 2001 13:16:57 -0500,
 Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sat, 5 May 2001 09:04:22 +0000 (UTC), John Smith
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >I installed Redhat 7.1 using the kde desktop.
>> >

>> smart move.
>>

>> >Microsoft should take pity on you and offer free internships so that you
> can
>> >learn how to do things right the first time.
>> >

>> The entire world knows that any Microsoft x.0 release is buggy crapware.
>> How is Microsoft going to teach anyone to do something right the first
> time?
>
> As if Linux is any better?
I believe Linux is FAR better than Microsoft, for a galaxy of reasons.

>  KDE 2.0 was pretty unstable, and I was told by a
> KDE developer that 2.1 was far and above more stable.

I believe the paradigm of x.0 software being buggy and therefore
best left alone, only applies to Commercial Software.

This is one of the reasons that Linux software is often below
1.0, the same paradigms dont apply.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 06 May 2001 01:28:44 GMT

On Sat, 05 May 2001 20:35:43 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So then you Linonuts should put pictures of a Bourne Shell # prompt on
> the back of the distribution boxes and tell the prospective buyer how
> great it is instead of all of these pretty pictures that don't end up
> looking anything like what is displayed on the monitor when and if the
> buyer is actually able to install Linux.
>
> flatfish

Two issues here Blowfish, one is Commercial Linux Distos, who
like Mafia$oft will do *anything* to sell their product.

The other issue is that there are many stable and reliable
Linux WM's used every day by many Linux users.

ie
Fvwm
Blackbox
IceWm
Windowmaker
Xfwm

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux has one chance left.........
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 13:34:18 -0700

GreyCloud wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> >
> > > I think that the latest versions of Linux do have this now... Caldera
> > > had TT as an option that you had to download along with web-based
> > > instructions.

> > The thing I like with Solaris is that on the highend machines, the graphic
> > cards have hardware based anti-aliasing, which is far superior to the
> > software solution xfree86 is trying to achieve.
> >
> > Matthew Gardiner
>
> Thank you... times have indeed changed things.  I only hope that Sun
> will produce something like this for the Blade 100.

Just forgot, SGI does the same thing to.  What is allows is all the
graphical work to be off-loaded onto a GPU, whilst the maths
calculations etc can be done on the main CPU, this, better performance
is achieved.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Must be getting really desperate
Date: 05 May 2001 19:34:26 -0600

kosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Their paid trolls are getting really desperate. This reminds me of
> the FUD campaign against OS/2. You would think we were removing
> their ability to choose which os they are using by the way they are
> attacking linux in this newsgroup.

You know, I used to give the wintrolls the benefit of the doubt -- but
lately they defend Microsoft no matter what the topic is (except Pete
and Edwards, who can level at times).  Even in the face of the latest
"naked PC" campaign, the "linux myths" pages and this "mundie" thing
-- they stand devout to some sort of religious cause.

The only possible explanations seem to be (to me):

  o Being paid by Microsfot
  o Feeling threatened by Linux
  o Mental disorder

> Honestly I don't give a damn if a windows user hates linux and
> doesn't want to use it however I expect the same courtesy in
> return. Also I think it is wrong that when you buy a new computer
> you end up paying the ms tax wether you want to or not. Hell most
> places charge you for windows even if you don't get windows on that
> machine because of the damn agreements they have with ms.
>
> Considering that even the SIIA thinks ms is in the wrong it looks
> like ms will be going down but I expect them to spend a lot of time
> flailing around before they die.

And you could be correct that this is what we are seeing here.
Microsoft makes some cool technology (SOAP is great!) and some cool
hardware (my keyboard is msnatural) -- but they always come back and
insult me with their insane business policies.

I just ordered the new iBook (www.apple.com/ibook) and MacOS X to go
with it; I'm also ordering YDL (http://www.yellowdoglinux.com) when
2.0 ships later this month.  At least it's one way to get a slim
laptop without Windows or Word installed on it.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: The long slow slide to Microsoft.NOT
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 04:33:24 +0200

"Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JVercherIII wrote:
> >
> > I don't know too much about Delphi but I'll look into it.  I'm still
> > learning C++, Java, and Perl among other things in college. Pays to be
> > diversified.
> >
> Well, in a nutshell, Delphi gives you the same WYSIWYG visual interface
> of VB, but the code you write is Object Pascal instead of Basic, making
> it robust, easy to maintain, and as fast as C++. Object Pascal is very
> similar to C++, but, because of the strict type checking of Pascal, it's
> easier to write robust code, and harder to make mistakes. In my opinion
> it would be better to learn Delphi first and C++ after, because the
> object handling is the same, but Delphi/Pascal is "cleaner", so you have
> less Stroustrup whims and C heritage to cope with.

Actually, I think that the reverse is true.
I know a little of Pascal, and the pointers that Pascal have can stump you
if you are transferring your Pascal knowledge to C/C++.
Pointers aren't an easy concept in the first place, and C & C++ way of doing
it are nearly identical to the way the machine does it, so it's easier to
learn the C's way, and then learn Pascal, which limits your ability to use
them.
As a note, a good C++ programmer shouldn't have much use for raw pointers.
The standard library provides for nearly everything that you need to use a
pointer for, and it does it much better than the average programmer can hope
to do. More safely, too.
The big plus of C++ is that you don't have to pay for things that you don't
need.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 13:39:42 -0700

> That's because Smartsuite is a high quality product. I've been using
> is for ages ever since WordPro was that other program I can't remember
> th name of.
>
> Smartsuite is without a doubt the best office suite on the market, but
> MS steamrolls it with FUD and it is unfortunate.
>
> Flatfish
Nice to see an even comment.  I am now using Wordperfect Suite 2000 on
my Linux box, and it is worth it.  Although not as snappy as the Windows
counterpart, it suits all my needs.  I'm surprised that Lotus Smart
Suite hasn't been ported to Linux considering it is owned by IBM, and
there is a big push by them for promoting linux as a desktop and server
alternative, mind you, yet another corporate that talks the talk, but
doesn't have the balls to walk the walk.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 06 May 2001 01:37:41 GMT

On Sat, 05 May 2001 20:39:10 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, 05 May 2001 19:33:13 GMT, Pete Goodwin
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>> And as for my real name, you are correct. IMHO  only an idiot would
>>> use her real name in a advocacy group.
>>
>>That makes me an idiot then.
>>
>>Why not use your real name? What are you afraid of?
>

> I have very strong opinions and have always tended to be that way
> whether it is politics or operating systems or what ever.
So what, this is not at all unusual.

> That doesn't
> mean that my opinions can't change over time. Why commit myself to
> something that might change in the future?
This has nothing to do with answering pete's question, namely:-
>>Why not use your real name? What are you afraid of?

> I don't judge others
BS, Bwahhhhhhhhhhh!

> but I feel it is foolish to use ones own name and
But whydo you feel foolish if you use your own name ?

> I feel that people who ignore the content of a message and focus on
I've never ignored the content of your Wintrolls.

> that fact are as equally foolish as the grammer/spelling police.
So anyone who doesnt 'believe' your posts, based on your habit
using fake identities, ie

"Steve,Mike,Heather,Simon,teknite,keymaster,keys88,Sewer Rat,
S,Sponge,Sarek,piddy,McSwain,pickle_pete,Ishmeal_hafizi,Amy,
Simon777,Claire,Flatfish+++,Flatfish"

is *foolish* ????

> Read the message, agree/disagree/debate.
                    ^^^^ reject Blowfishes bs ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 01:44:12 GMT

On Sat, 5 May 2001 13:52:28 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> CORBA came after COM.  COM originated at MS in 1987, but wasn't
> actually put into a product until OLE 1, which MS released in April of
> 1992 in the form of Windows 3.1.

OLE 1 was an ugly hack on top of DDE and had very little in common with
DDE as we know it today.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Microsoft standards... (was Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product)
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 01:44:15 GMT

On Fri, 04 May 2001 02:39:20 GMT, Chad Myers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sure, the scripting is good, I'll give it that. But as far as just a
> basic shell, it's really not that great.  Simple editing on the command
> line for long commands isn't terribly easy. HOME and END don't work,

They work for me.

> It doesn't have a pop-up command history like cmd.exe (the F7 key)

Up and down arrow keys scroll through the history.  You can search the
history with Ctrl-R.

> doesn't have very good TAB completion (in cmd, subsequent hits of TAB
> cause cycling of files in the dir that meet the search criteria).

My God, you have actually posted something useful.  Does it work that
way on NT as well (if I enable completion in the registry), or only W2K?

> I find the best combination of everything is the GNU Utils on Win32 and/or
> the Cygwin32 dir + cmd.exe.

You mean you admit that all of those stupid Unix utilities are useful?
Will wonders never cease?

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 13:55:03 -0700

> Corel really has a chance to step in and make some serious dough with this
> publishing thing. They could wrestle the stranglehold that Apple has on the
> market and push linux to printers and Graphic artists to boot (rips are
> already connected to NT/solaris machines most of the time anyway). Shit I
> wish the people at Corel had their heads out of their butts. Not only that,
> but we would get a realy stable platform FOR FREE! Not that win2k is not a
> stable platform, but it's got a LOT of very annoying little idiosyncrasies,
> the "no CDR use" unless admin being one of them. Even with the cost of the
> apps (which I will gladly plunk my hard-earned dough for), thats 218$
> canadian, I woundn't have to "steal" (the price of an OEM Windows license).
> AND it would create a lucrative Linux support buisness. Everyone would win.
> Well, except Microsoft. But they're getting a little too big anyway. But
> it's the Jobs that would be created by the Linux support buisness that
> really tickles my fancy. All these young punks would have great jobs...but
> they would have similar skills...so they differentiate through
> branding...and who does their branding / documents / letterheads / ads,
> etc.etc. ad nauseam? ME! (and my designer cronies) HAHAHAHAHA and I shall
> charge them ALL through the SCHNOZZLE! Of course, with what they make (and
> they make A LOT around here, I don't think even my outrageous prices would
> make them think twice, they'd just sign the blue sheets and tell me to print
> it. They would be too busy with their lucrative support buisness to worry
> about some stupid design...=)
I've just received and installed Wordperfect Suite 2000 for Linux ($399
incl. GST) on my machine, and it is definately worth it, esp after
downloading the latest wine and libs. As for Corel, they have always
been half the price of Microsoft, $1300 +GST for Office 2000 (for Win),
Corel Wordperfect Suite 2000 (for Win) $774.95 +GST (GST=12.5%).  The
problem with Corel is that they are not aggressively competitive.  When
the NZ Army tendered out for software, Corel should have gone in with
all guns blazing and said, "we will beat any offer that comes along",
Microsoft would never had stood a chance, but unfortunately, they expect
customers to come to them, hence the reason why they are in the shit
they are in now.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: seattle.gay.news,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.men,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 13:57:26 -0700

Chris Belway wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> > Chris Belway wrote:

> >> Matthew, how long have you been happy about your homosexuality?
> > How long have to been happy being a biggot?
>
> That's not a very happylike thing to say-you don't seem very happy with
> your gayness.

Maybe you should learn English before opening your gob, or is this the
excellent US education system in practice?

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just how commercially viable is OSS?... (Was Re: Interesting MS  speech
on OSS/GPL ( /. hates it so it's good))
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 01:44:13 GMT

"Bill Vermillion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Stephen Edwards wrote:
>
> >> First of all, Microsoft is a member of the
> >> BSA.
>
> >The BSA is a Mafia$oft sockpuppet.
>
> Jsut this past week one of trade mags had an article about that,
> and how vendors such as Lotus and Novell are no longer
> participitating in BSA because it is so MS oriented/prejudiced.

Or perhaps that neither Lotus nor Novell really sell any software
anymore so the only people they can get to use their software
are the pirates, and they don't want to get rid of ALL their
customers...

-c

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 06 May 2001 01:56:54 GMT

On Sat, 05 May 2001 21:22:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Doesn't bother me in the least....

It should, given your status of an employed, union member.

And to think that Blowfish, used to allude that he is self employed.

Oh btw, Ive been congradulated by an employer, who after
searching Deja for my posts,  congradulated
me on the way I handled a'moron' on Alt.linux.sucks.

You don't have to spend your life afraid of people
knowing who you are:-

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 04:59:28 +0200

"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 04 May 2001 02:39:20 GMT, Chad Myers
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Sure, the scripting is good, I'll give it that. But as far as just a
> > basic shell, it's really not that great.  Simple editing on the command
> > line for long commands isn't terribly easy. HOME and END don't work,
>
> They work for me.

But not del, and it's annoying as hell. Anyway to fix it?

> > It doesn't have a pop-up command history like cmd.exe (the F7 key)
>
> Up and down arrow keys scroll through the history.  You can search the
> history with Ctrl-R.

It's not the same as F7, with F7 on CMD, you get a list of all the recent
commands are displayed, so you can choose from them.

> > doesn't have very good TAB completion (in cmd, subsequent hits of TAB
> > cause cycling of files in the dir that meet the search criteria).
>
> My God, you have actually posted something useful.  Does it work that
> way on NT as well (if I enable completion in the registry), or only W2K?

Get TweakUI, it handles it quite nicely.
I *think* that it's the same as 2000 on NT.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 14:02:45 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, 3 May 2001 14:46:51 +1200, Matthew Gardiner
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >Do you have ANY IT experience?
> >
> >Matthew Gardiner
>
> You would be amazed if I told you where I was in 1979, but I won't. I
> will say that I was 19yo so at least you have a clue as to how long I
> have been involved in I/T.
>
> flatfish
If you have all this claimed IT experience, why don't you put it to some
use by helping out in a Linux project? or would that require some
selflessness.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 14:04:17 -0700

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Matthew Gardiner in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 3 May 2001

> >> Jackie knows all about writing like a homosexual. He gives lessons.
> >>
> >I assumed Jackie was female.
>
> When was the last time you heard a female try to insult someone by
> calling them homosexual?  Its obvious he is a very young boy, probably
> still in grade school.  He's become convinced of his mental prowess by
> being able to annoy adults.  Guffaw.

Look through deja at the number of people that mock him, it you leave
you in stitches of laughter.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 01:52:13 GMT

"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 04 May 2001 02:39:20 GMT, Chad Myers
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Sure, the scripting is good, I'll give it that. But as far as just a
> > basic shell, it's really not that great.  Simple editing on the command
> > line for long commands isn't terribly easy. HOME and END don't work,
>
> They work for me.

What special configuration is required? Perhaps I would use it more if
it had some of this basic functionality.

> > It doesn't have a pop-up command history like cmd.exe (the F7 key)
>
> Up and down arrow keys scroll through the history.  You can search the
> history with Ctrl-R.

Yes, yes, cmd.exe does all this, but it's nice to have a pop-up list as
well.

> > doesn't have very good TAB completion (in cmd, subsequent hits of TAB
> > cause cycling of files in the dir that meet the search criteria).
>
> My God, you have actually posted something useful.  Does it work that
> way on NT as well (if I enable completion in the registry), or only W2K?

Since NT 3.51 at least, I'm sure.

Edit HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\CompletionChar

Set the value to 9 (TAB key) (or something else if you prefer. It's fun
to set it as 20 [space bar]!)

Note, since this is an HKCU setting, it's a per-user deal.

> > I find the best combination of everything is the GNU Utils on Win32 and/or
> > the Cygwin32 dir + cmd.exe.
>
> You mean you admit that all of those stupid Unix utilities are useful?
> Will wonders never cease?

Hmm, I don't recall ever having bashed on utilities although I usually only
end up ever using grep because most of the others are either a.) too difficult
to use unless you have a very specific case for using them, or b.) have
counterparts in Windows that are typically much easier to use and provide
slightly easier-to-read feedback (not the least of which is dir compared to
ls).

-c