Linux-Advocacy Digest #500, Volume #34           Mon, 14 May 01 01:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: Double whammy cross-platform worm ("JS PL")
  Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: MS should sue the pants off linux-mandrake (was: Re: Winvocates confuse me -
d'oh!) ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software (Isaac)
  Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: To Erik: What is Wordperfect missing? (Chad Everett)
  Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: Linux in college & high school ("Bobby D. Bryant")

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:11:13 +1200

> >Given that Unisys builds the biggest W2K/NT servers around that question
> >sounds hollow.
>
> Hardly; they had the biggest W2K/NT servers around, but they didn't use
> them, of course, when they needed a big reliable system.
>
> >Gee, lets think for a minute shall we?
> >
> >Can you say: application compatibility?
>
> No, it's "application barrier".  Unisys, as well as everyone else (but
> MS) would like to do away with it, but the best they can do is build big
> W2K/NT systems for when they are forced to be compatible with monopoly
> crapware.
>
> >They WERE running Unix and when they upgraded they stayed with... wait for
> >it... Unix - suprise? I'm not. Those who fail to learn from the past
> >mistakes are doomed to repeat them. Here is proof of such ...
>
> So the fact that Win9x is universally denigrated by Wintrolls (and
> everyone else, way before they admitted it) is just more proof of how
> wonderful W2K/NT is, right?

Also he/she totally ignores my reply to why they chose UNISYS over a
Wintel solution.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:13:36 +1200

> Nice teleology; MS forces people to pay for the same crap all over again
> over and over (well, admittedly, it isn't quite the same, which of
> course is half the reason for the complaints) and this is "in order for
> it to improve"?
>
> Linux improves for free.  Guffaw.

Downloaded Kernel 2.4.4, configured it, that is, I took off all the
unneeded crap, optimised it for Pentium III, compiled, installed then
rebooted.  A new OS, free! in under 15 minutes. Please inform me when I
can do this with Windows NT/2K.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <hi everybody!>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Double whammy cross-platform worm
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 00:16:15 -0400

> Said "JS PL" <hi everybody!> in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 13 May
> >"Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >>     What makes you think they are a cash cow for anybody but themselves
> >>     and the ones they have deluded into supporting their illegal
> >>     activities ?
> >>
> >>     They have paid no Federal Taxes for the last six years.
> >
> >If they don't pay federal taxes then I'm sure that they are not lawfully
> >obligated to pay. Are you suggesting that they just make up a dollar
amount
> >off the top of their head, and send it in just for the fun of it? Or are
you
> >a simply a little bit jealous?
>
> Wow; I'd have never seen that "jealous" argument coming, I swear!
>
> I think you're just jealous of the fact that everyone else is a WHOLE
> lot smarter than you are, JS PL.

"jealous" wasn't the argument Einstein. It was most likely his motive for
condemning Microsofts lawfull tax liability.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:16:34 +1200

> > Why would any sane person lock themselves into a .NOT pollution?
>
> Financial reasons mostly (from a developer's standpoint). You have to put
> dislike aside and earn a living. With any luck at all, it'll be a flop and
> we won't have to fool with it. There are already enough Windows platforms to
> have to support. I don't want to have to fool with yet another.
>From what I have read, it is meant to be the silver bullet to solve many
of Windows problems, aka DLL Hell, and the messy Win32 API.  I would be
interested in seeing how long it will take for .net apps to appear.  It
took some vendors, such as Lotus, 7 years to move their apps from Win16
API to Win32 API.  DOn't expect any miracles soon, it will be a cold day
in hell when I see a .net app on the shelves one year after the release
of .net

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:18:33 +1200

> Abit BX-133 Mb w/current bios
> Pentium III 500
> 256 Mb PC-133 ECC
> Four 40 gig Seagate 7200 rpm ATA100 drives stripped and mirrored in hardware
> (onboard HPT370 dual channel RAID controller)
> 2 x Intel Server NICs
> generic CD-ROM and floppy
> aopen case, no extra cooling
> generic SIS AGP video card cause we use terminal services for remote admin
> so we almost never login locally.
> APC 1400 UPS connected via serial cable
>
> EVERYTHING without exception loaded using the standard Windows 2000 Server
> CD, I upgraded the NIC adapter driver cause there were some neat features in
> the intel driver instead of the one from MS, but that was unnecessary.
>
> Works perfectly solid, we started at 128 megs but upgraded to 256 when we
> decided to run active directory on this machine after that department was
> moved to a different floor. It's backed up over the network so no local
> backup device.
>
> Thats it. Nothing special.
>
> CPU utilization is practically nothing - we only used the 500 cause it was
> the best price break at the time of purchase.
How much ($) for 144 licenses? had you used Linux, or if you used a
commercial UNIX, Solaris 8 x86 or UNIXWare 7.1.1 you wouldn't have those
issues.

matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS should sue the pants off linux-mandrake (was: Re: Winvocates confuse
me - d'oh!)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 04:18:39 GMT

"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 13 May 2001 00:38:26 GMT, Tom Wilson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > If it's anywhere near as bloated and over-engineered as ADA was/is, then
it
> > deserves its' oblivion! Sad how suit types and academics can take good
ideas
> > and screw them up so much.
>
> I'm fairly sure that C++ has surpassed Ada's bloat factor by a couple
> of factors at least.  As for being over-engineered, I'd prefer that to
> being under-engineered.  YMMV.

So long as the engineering doesn't hamstring the developer when he tries to
get something done. Choices are nice, but, you can be overwhelmed by them
sometimes.

> I say this as someone who was very anti-Ada and pro-C++ back in the
> late 80's to mid 90's.

I thought both were "toys" back then. I used a Pascal and assembly mixture
simply because I could whip out programs with no effort at all (Not that I'm
brilliant or anything, I just had a lot of experience with the two).
Anything beyond a simple application, and *anything* for the Windows
platform, I used C.

> The biggest problem Ada had wasn't the language, which is actually not
> bad if you like Pascal-like languages,

I did until I ran into problems strong typing made even worse. I was spolied
by learning assembly as a first language (ANSI Basic doesn't count <g>)

> so much as the arrogance of DoD,
> who vastly oversold it.  Ada was going to cure all that ailed software
> development.  Of course, most of the things that are wrong with
> software development are beyond the capability of a mere programming
> language to fix.

A very credible and well put statement.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Isaac)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 04:04:22 GMT

On Mon, 14 May 2001 02:11:10 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You can't distribute copyrighted works (or derivative works) without the
>permission of the author.  Yes, the INTENT of this action by the FSF
>*was* to 'scare people off'; they don't want GNU to become the basis of
>a commercial code-base, since providing an alternative to commercial
>code-bases is the whole point of the GNU.
>
>Quite whining, that's all I've got to say.  If you don't believe there's

So disagreeing with you is whining.   You're an idiot and now you are
once again a filtered idiot.

Isaac

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:22:18 +1200

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > If any company saw a benefit in using Linux to up their scores for their
> > > product, it would've been used long ago.
> > >
> > > Sun, IBM, BEA, HP, and Compaq all could stand to gain if they could get
> > > better results in the TPC. Obviously, they've determined that Linux doesn't
> > > offer this, so therefore there's no incentive to pay millions of dollars
> > > if you know it's going to fail.
> > >
> > > -c
> > >
> > Ever admined a SUN box? or an IBM Mainframe?
>
> How is this relevant to posting scores using Linux on the TPC?
>
> -c
Obviously by that response you are a sad little individual who is still
pissed off that they did not have the intellect to pass a UNIX admin
course.  How come Work and Income New Zealand uses HP-UX servers? why
does the New Zealand Stock Exchange uses a s/390 mainframe?

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:24:29 +1200

> Um, my calculator says that a 99.999% uptime leaves 5.26 MINUTES
> downtime per year - not 8 hours.  Did you perhaps calculate for 99.9%
> uptime?
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

365days * 24hours = 8760 hours
0.001(difference between 100 and 99.999) * 8760 hours = 8.76 hours.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: To Erik: What is Wordperfect missing?
Date: 13 May 2001 22:46:20 -0500

On Sun, 13 May 2001 10:39:30 -0400, Jeffrey L. Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I could care less about the Office suites since they are all fine.  I
>would be most interested in Adobe apps being released for Linux.

No kidding.  It is a damn shame that Adobe announced several months ago that
they were dropping all development and support of Framemaker for Linux.
Seems that Adobe is going backwards.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:32:10 +1200

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > Btw, the latest SUN midframe servers, you can add memory, hard disks and
> > processors whilst it is running, and Solaris instantly finds these new
> > pieces of hardware, and utilises them.  Mind you, IBM s/390's and 900z's
> > have had this technology for years.
>
> In 8 years time we will have stories of SUNS with 0% downtime where
> nothing is original except the case. By that time, we'll have S/390s with
> uptimes of 16 years and no original components.
>
> Will we ever have a windows machine with an uptime of 8 or more years. My
> guess is no, partly because it is not yet capable of that level of
> stability and secondly, PC hardware is too shoddy to allow for such
> upgrades.
>
> -Ed

Also, people may boo hoo proprietry components, however, when was the
last time you knew of a proprietry OS and hardware go down like a house
on fire? SUN, SGI, and IBM *nix's are built like a brick shit house.
www.nzoom.com uses IRIX. Maximum uptime has been 274, however, its quite
low due to a hardware upgrade (I have chatted to several of the admins).
Originally they didn't expect a huge demand, however, they were
overwelmed, and as a result, had to upgrade to maintain the level of
quality.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 00:32:20 -0400

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
> > >
> > > "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:VNlL6.58$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > fact,

> > > opinions
> > > implement.
> 3.11) or
> and
> > > Nothing
> > > find

> VC6,
> > > VC6'
> GCC

> may
> > > try
> KDeveloper
> big
> support,
> than
> > >
> > > Wait for VS.NET, should have all of those, I'm waiting for my copy of
> the
> >

> > Why would any sane person lock themselves into a .NOT pollution?
>
> Financial reasons mostly (from a developer's standpoint). You have to put
> dislike aside and earn a living. With any luck at all, it'll be a flop and
> we won't have to fool with it. There are already enough Windows platforms to
> have to support. I don't want to have to fool with yet another.

Dear Darth,
        Learn to develop for Unix and come, return to the light side.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 00:33:41 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> > > Why would any sane person lock themselves into a .NOT pollution?
> >
> > Financial reasons mostly (from a developer's standpoint). You have to put
> > dislike aside and earn a living. With any luck at all, it'll be a flop and
> > we won't have to fool with it. There are already enough Windows platforms to
> > have to support. I don't want to have to fool with yet another.
> From what I have read, it is meant to be the silver bullet to solve many
> of Windows problems, aka DLL Hell, and the messy Win32 API.  I would be
> interested in seeing how long it will take for .net apps to appear.  It
> took some vendors, such as Lotus, 7 years to move their apps from Win16
> API to Win32 API.  DOn't expect any miracles soon, it will be a cold day
> in hell when I see a .net app on the shelves one year after the release
> of .net
>
> Matthew Gardiner

The whole point of .not is that you DON'T get anything from the store shelves...
because whatever you get off a store shelf, you OWN...whereas .not is about
forcing you to perpetually RENT.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 04:34:08 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <Don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9dmgt3$n0l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9dm4d1$6ej$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

<snip>

> > Why don't they run benchmarks that test the use of the system in more
> > demanding situations?  Set up a PHP-Nuke discussion board, or a
perl-based
> > web email system, and compare the speeds of the different systems.  Even
> > better would be to specify a system such as a discussion board, and
> > implement the same interface with PHP, ASP, JSP, ColdFussion, Perl, or
any
> > other dynamic web system and compare the results.  The backend database
> > should also be interchangable.  Then we could really see what systems
are
> > the most cost-effective for web servers.
>
> Okay, that would be good, there have been a couple of tests like that,
IIRC.
> On one of them, PHP beat ASP, then MS came, re-wrote the ASP code (to do
the
> same thing) and gained 2x speed increase, and beat all the above mentioned
> system by a wide margin.
> Now, that doesn't mean that PHP or ASP or anything else are better than
one
> another, it just demonstrate the ability of the coder in that particular
> language.

Again showing the futility of benchmark testing...

> And what task do you've in mind? Discussion board is *easy*, I've done two
> (as an excercise) in ASP.
> One worked like a Matt's BBS clone, where anything is a static HTML file,
> and you update them manually via a script. Thus the only overhead you've
is
> when people post.
> And another where you use DB, where you could do much more complex stuff,
> thus you've the script+db overhead.
> I think that the best solution is a combination of those two method, store
> the stuff in the DB, generate static pages every couple of minutes.
> This way you have both the flexebility of DB and the speed of static
pages.

> But I digress, widely.

A far more interesting topic, though...

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:34:49 +1200

> But why would you do this on purpose? That's a strawman argument.
 What is a "strawman"? some native septic tank comment that the rest of
the world doesn't know yet?

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux in college & high school
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 22:32:05 +0600

Dave Martel wrote:

> Or at least a smiley. Without the necessary voice cues, sarcasm just
> doesn't come across well in text.

Without the necessary voice cues, everything appears to be marked with implicit
<flamebait></flamebait> tags.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 04:35:25 GMT

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9dmfkn$588$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Btw, the latest SUN midframe servers, you can add memory, hard disks and
> > processors whilst it is running, and Solaris instantly finds these new
> > pieces of hardware, and utilises them.  Mind you, IBM s/390's and 900z's
> > have had this technology for years.
>
> In 8 years time we will have stories of SUNS with 0% downtime where
> nothing is original except the case. By that time, we'll have S/390s with
> uptimes of 16 years and no original components.
>
> Will we ever have a windows machine with an uptime of 8 or more years. My
> guess is no, partly because it is not yet capable of that level of
> stability and secondly, PC hardware is too shoddy to allow for such
> upgrades.

The latter is a *very* valid point.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:36:10 +1200

> I'd like to find the engineer who doesn't take into account the fact
> that the systems have eight processors instead of four in a five to
> six hundred server enterprise data-center. You really do need to
> rethink your statement.
>From the sounds of things, Jan is your average office clerk, who thinks
because she can use Windows and Office, that makes her a genius, when in
reality, it is the complete opposite.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 00:36:10 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Ever admined a SUN box? or an IBM Mainframe?
> >
> > How is this relevant to posting scores using Linux on the TPC?
> >
> > -c
> Obviously by that response you are a sad little individual who is still
> pissed off that they did not have the intellect to pass a UNIX admin
> course.  How come Work and Income New Zealand uses HP-UX servers? why
> does the New Zealand Stock Exchange uses a s/390 mainframe?

Um...they weren't smart enough to figure out how to get Lose2k to perform
as advertised...and thus decided to go with the HP-UX and s/390 systems
that are within their abilities to manage.

> Matthew Gardiner

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.