From: "Rich Soyack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 20:10:11 GMT

"the tree by the river" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <vTTO6.1361$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Rich Soyack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Yes it is.
> >>
> >> Pick up a dictionary and take a look.
> >
> >Any dictionary or politically correct dictionaries?
>
> www.dictionary.com lists it, as does the American Heritage
> dictionary and the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary.

And the first definition given is fear of homosexuals.

Rich Soyack

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.law-enforcement
Subject: Re: Using Army and Marines to enforce gun-confiscation...
Date: 23 May 2001 20:15:22 GMT

On Wed, 23 May 2001 16:06:00 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:

>> >Absolutely not.
>> >
>> >Read the Posse Commitatus Act.  It **CLEARLY** states that the Army can be used
>> >to do law enforcement with the permission of the governor of the state(s) in
>> >question.
>>
>> With permission.
>>
>> >  Remember all the times the Army was used in the 1950's and 60's.
>>
>> Sure.
>>
>> >The MARINES can be sent into any state WITHOUT the permission of the Governor.
>>
>> And they will still not be a law enforcement agency.
>
>Bzzzzzzt! Wrong.
>They can do anything the President orders them to do, within the limits
>of the Constitution.

If the law says a presidential order is enough to enter a person's house,
the presidential order *is* permission to enter such a house.

Yet, the marines and the army are not a law enforcement agency. If you say
they are, please feel free to explain yourself.

Can the president ask that the investigation of a murder be carried on by
the marines in all cases, for example?

>> >See above.
>>
>> Above, you said the governor can give permission for them to become
>> a law enforcement force. Not that they can enter your house without
>> permission.
>
>is it not the gun-grabber's wet dream to get universal gun confiscation
>WITHOUT the necessity of a search warrant...

I don't know. I am not a gun grabber. You are the one who is grabbing
a gun and getting a hardon about it.

>a) no
>B) YES!

I don't know. Is it a wet dream of yours?

>> >Also, if the gun-phobes' wet-dream of CONFISCATION is to implemented,
>> >how would it be done without entering citizens' homes?
>>
>> Right now, possession of certain kinds of pronography is forbidden,
>> and if found it is to be confiscated. Guns are not any different.
>
>is it not the gun-grabber's wet dream to get universal gun confiscation
>WITHOUT the necessity of a search warrant...

Once more, Aaron. If you want to argue with the voices in your head,
you can do that using a puppet teather, and there is no need to do
it over usenet.

>a) no
>B) YES!

No or yes what?

>> >The gun-phobes' wet-dream is a law that requires no search warrant.
>>
>> Stop arguing with the voices in your head. You said that if a
>> gun banning law is passed, you would invade another person`s
>> house. That would be illegal, unless certain OTHER laws are
>> passed. You could just as well say that you will blow his
>> brains with a bazooka, because in your mind a law will be
>> passed allowing you to shoot people with one.
>
>is it not the gun-grabber's wet dream to get universal gun confiscation
>WITHOUT the necessity of a search warrant...
>
>a) no
>B) YES!

Perhaps you feel repeating yourself makes you look less insane. Let me
warn you that is not the case.

>> >You sound exceedingly jealous.
>>
>> Of you? Man, if I were jealous of you, I would go to Chicago with
>> the intent to jump off the Sears tower.
>
>Now's your chance.

Only if I were jealous of you. Which would be such a display of poor
taste I would collapse into antimatter.

>> >Why is that, coward...
>>
>> Coward? I say that blind retaliation is the chicken's path.
>> Dare live peacefully, if you have the balls to do it.
>
>Why should I STUPIDLY attempt to live peacefully with those who REFUSE to be peaceful.

Well, obviously you don't dare do it. Are you a christian by chance?

>If they want war, then I will give them war like they have never imagined

The basis of your madness, obviously. Perhaps you:

a) Lack imagination
b) Feel a need to threaten strangers
c) Have a severe inferiority complex, that you hide by posing over usenet
d) Were kicked too often in 3rd grade

>Hope that helps.

Oh, it does, Aaron. It's always nice to show casual readers what kind
of nutcase you are.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: EXTRA EXTRA MS ADMITS!!!!
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 20:19:15 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> Then it should be quite easy for you to provide two links, one the pinout of
> the PA-RISC and one the pinout of the Itanium to show they are the same,
> right?

Not that it matters, since the HP workstations use CPU modules (I think), but
HP says that the IA-64 CPUs will be swappable with the current PA-RISC modules
in some (a few/many/all? not sure) HP workstations out there now.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Senior Engineer-Qualcomm-http://www.miguelito.org
Favorite error message: "Out of paper on drive D:" This was produced by a

------------------------------

From: "~¿~" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the  dust!
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 20:19:29 GMT

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JS \\ PL wrote:

> > You can't walk in to any store and buy a
> > piece of hardware and assume it will work with your OS.
>
> As long as it says "For Windows xxxx" on the box <grin>.
> I bought a printer (HP 820Cse) that said "For Windows"
> on it.  How was I to know it didn't mean "Windows NT"???!!

Hmmm...No driver for NT huh?

Try here:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/software/dj380en.exe.html

File date is 020298
That's > 3 years ago. When did you purchase the printer?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Date: 23 May 2001 20:22:05 GMT

On Wed, 23 May 2001 16:08:12 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:
>>
>> David L. Moffitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >%%%% They did at Waco.
>>
>> Those were not soldiers, they were federal law enforcement agencies.
>> And they did have permission, in the form of a search warrant.
>
>1.  They did NOT have the warrant with them

Ok.

>2.  The warrant was void, because it was obtained under false pretenses.

Do you feel an urge to fill a truck with fertilizer?

>> >%%%% They didn't at Waco.
>> >

>> And having guns did them a whole lot of good, to those Davidians,
>> didn't it?
>
>Are you saying that if confronted with a totalitarian regime, one
>should just submit?  Go find a holocaust survivor to clue you into reality.

Are you saying you are a volunteer soldier for a totalitarian regime?
I *lived* under a totalitarian regime, kid, and it seems you are
a collaborator, since you call the regime you are defending totalitarian.

And would I be stupid enough to declare war on the FBI and the ATF while
my kids are locked with me? No.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Date: 23 May 2001 20:24:04 GMT

On Wed, 23 May 2001 16:09:47 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:

>news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>> >I desire to have $1,000,000,000
>>
>> Actually, that is pretty much a sin. It is called greed, Aaron.
>>
>> >Nonetheless, that wouldn't justify me robbing banks now, would it.
>>
>> Of course not.
>
>Thank you for agreeing with my point.

What point?

>Desires != justification.

And smart != Kulkis. And in both cases, I had never said the opposite.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leonard Fehskens)
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 20:27:43 GMT

On Sat, 5 May 2001 08:32:41 -0600, Jerry Coffin at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote

>I'm not sure what I was thinking there -- you talked about the PDP-
>10, and I replied about the PDP-8.  In any case, I'm pretty sure the
>PDP-10 didn't predate the PDP-8, so the same basic idea applies...

No, but the PDP-6, which essentially defined the -10's architecture,
may have.  I don't know if the LDB, DPB, ILDB, IDPB and IBP instructions
were supported by the -6 or were new on the -10.

Since many alphanumeric applications could get by with 50 characters
(26 single case alphabetics, 10 numerics, and 14 punctuation and
"carriage control" characters), "radix50" was a common encoding on the
early PDP machines.

len.

a common encoding scheme

------------------------------

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 21:51:45 +0100

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Interconnect" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9eeplc$rc4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > Besides apart from compatibility reasons what percentage of MS users
> > would use the ADVANCED features of Office? I believe business would take
> advantage
> > of some of these components however the *AVERAGE* user, we are so fond
> > of talking about, would hardly use any of the advanced functionality of
> > WORD, EXCEL let alone MS Access, Powerpoint and Project Manager.
>
> Compatability? I can get a WordViewer for free, and it will let me cut &
> paste to any half-way decent word proccessor.
> Certainly to older versions of Word.
> I don't need to buy new versions for that.

I can get a package for linux that not only views Word and Powerpoint files
but can also edit them and re-save them in Word and Powerpoint compatible
file formats - Staroffice, Openoffice or Koffice can do this.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 20:41:01 GMT

On Wed, 23 May 2001 20:19:29 GMT, "~¿~" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> JS \\ PL wrote:
>
>> > You can't walk in to any store and buy a
>> > piece of hardware and assume it will work with your OS.
>>
>> As long as it says "For Windows xxxx" on the box <grin>.
>> I bought a printer (HP 820Cse) that said "For Windows"
>> on it.  How was I to know it didn't mean "Windows NT"???!!
>
>Hmmm...No driver for NT huh?
>
>Try here:
>http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/software/dj380en.exe.html
>
>File date is 020298
>That's > 3 years ago. When did you purchase the printer?

I found it in 5 seconds with Google with "820Cse".

Funny thing about these Linvocates, for all of the reading they have
to do to install and maintain Linux, they always seem to panic when a
Windows install is in their future.

flatfish++++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.law-enforcement
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 16:45:15 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> On Wed, 23 May 2001 16:06:00 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Roberto Alsina wrote:

> >> With permission.

> >> Sure.

> >> And they will still not be a law enforcement agency.
> >
> >Bzzzzzzt! Wrong.
> >They can do anything the President orders them to do, within the limits
> >of the Constitution.
>
> If the law says a presidential order is enough to enter a person's house,
> the presidential order *is* permission to enter such a house.
>
> Yet, the marines and the army are not a law enforcement agency. If you say
> they are, please feel free to explain yourself.
>
> Can the president ask that the investigation of a murder be carried on by
> the marines in all cases, for example?

> >> Above, you said the governor can give permission for them to become
> >> a law enforcement force. Not that they can enter your house without
> >> permission.
> >
> >is it not the gun-grabber's wet dream to get universal gun confiscation
> >WITHOUT the necessity of a search warrant...
>
> I don't know. I am not a gun grabber. You are the one who is grabbing
> a gun and getting a hardon about it.
>
> >a) no
> >B) YES!
>
> I don't know. Is it a wet dream of yours?

> >> Right now, possession of certain kinds of pronography is forbidden,
> >> and if found it is to be confiscated. Guns are not any different.
> >
> >is it not the gun-grabber's wet dream to get universal gun confiscation
> >WITHOUT the necessity of a search warrant...
>
> Once more, Aaron. If you want to argue with the voices in your head,
> you can do that using a puppet teather, and there is no need to do
> it over usenet.
>
> >a) no
> >B) YES!
>
> No or yes what?

Thank you for demonstrating that you can't even follow the conversation.

Game
set
match

you lose.

> >> Stop arguing with the voices in your head. You said that if a
> >> gun banning law is passed, you would invade another person`s
> >> house. That would be illegal, unless certain OTHER laws are
> >> passed. You could just as well say that you will blow his
> >> brains with a bazooka, because in your mind a law will be
> >> passed allowing you to shoot people with one.
> >
> >is it not the gun-grabber's wet dream to get universal gun confiscation
> >WITHOUT the necessity of a search warrant...
> >
> >a) no
> >B) YES!
>
> Perhaps you feel repeating yourself makes you look less insane. Let me
> warn you that is not the case.

> >> Of you? Man, if I were jealous of you, I would go to Chicago with
> >> the intent to jump off the Sears tower.
> >
> >Now's your chance.
>
> Only if I were jealous of you. Which would be such a display of poor
> taste I would collapse into antimatter.

> >> Coward? I say that blind retaliation is the chicken's path.
> >> Dare live peacefully, if you have the balls to do it.
> >
> >Why should I STUPIDLY attempt to live peacefully with those who REFUSE to be
>peaceful.
>
> Well, obviously you don't dare do it. Are you a christian by chance?
>
> >If they want war, then I will give them war like they have never imagined
>
> The basis of your madness, obviously. Perhaps you:
>
> a) Lack imagination
> b) Feel a need to threaten strangers
> c) Have a severe inferiority complex, that you hide by posing over usenet
> d) Were kicked too often in 3rd grade
>
> >Hope that helps.
>
> Oh, it does, Aaron. It's always nice to show casual readers what kind
> of nutcase you are.
>
> --
> Roberto Alsina

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.