Linux-Advocacy Digest #741, Volume #34           Wed, 23 May 01 22:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Single sign-on authentication for Novell, Windows and Linux? (Yak)
  Re: Hypothetical ("Paolo Ciambotti")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (Rick)
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (Rick)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Win2k Sp2 Worked perfectly ("Joel Barnett")
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the  (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Win2k Sp2 Worked perfectly ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Win2k Sp2 Worked perfectly ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: RIP the Linux desktop ("Paolo Ciambotti")
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! (Chronos
Tachyon)
  Re: XP 'Loctivation' was: Wintroll nonsense (Terry Porter)
  Re: Win2k Sp2 Worked perfectly
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! (Terry
Porter)
  Re: Win2k Sp2 Worked perfectly (Chronos Tachyon)
  Re: Linux Mandrake Sucks!!!! ("Paolo Ciambotti")
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (Terry Porter)
  errunt r kookla threatens lawsuit - oh my ribs! (Steve Chaney)
  Re: Linux Mandrake Sucks!!!! (Terry Porter)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yak)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.netware.connectivity,comp.os.netware.security
Subject: Re: Single sign-on authentication for Novell, Windows and Linux?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:14:14 GMT

>Hi!,
>
>> Is it possible to set up an authentication system that will allow
>> Windows PC users to connect to Linux, Netware 4.11, and NT/Win2K servers
>> with a single logon, and without having to change passwords on multiple
>> systems?

I asked this question a few weeks ago. So far I have not found an
elegant solution.

You have a number of options.

A) Install the netware client, and disable password profile saving
B) Install the netware client and change the nwgina.dll to msgina.dll
C) Tell all of your users, "That's how it is now, put up & shut up"
D) Install Zen Starter Pack
E) Formulate a proposal to management to migrate from Netware to Win2k

Option A:
Seems to work well, though my users are used to having the netware
client "remember" their name. Told them to see Option C
Password Synchronisation works with Win2K domain, but the windows
password cacheing seems to mess up some, It "breaks" the program we
use to access our AS/400 (Client Access) which uses the windows
username/password. CA reports incorrect password... (Hmmm!!)
If a notebook user forgets to tick the workstation box, 5 min wait
(lockup) while it looks for a server..
Documented in the knowledge base at novell, see tid # 10057660

Option B:
Login is quite painless and quick, if mismatched username/password for
Win2k & Netware starts up netware login box and prompts for username,
No problems with login script processing.
Password syncronising (Netware/Win2k) is messed up but password
cacheing now works properly (see CA above)
See the KB at novell, look for things like nwgina & msgina

Option C:
Oh man, would i LOVE to say this :)

Option D:
YABTTLICAM
(Yet Another Bloody Thing To Learn, Install, Configure, And Maintain.)
Hey, i already got 3 different LDAP dirs (Notes has one as well....)
why not throw some more things into the bargin, that way a PC when it
fires up has 3 masters to serve... AARRGGGHHHHHH PROFILE WAR!

LDAP dirs... going CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hmm, all i need is a Vax, a Mac, and a linux box & i think i will have
the WHOLE set of major OS'S... (mabye you could forget the vax :} )

Option E:
Hmm, buy some CALS, pay an outsourcing mob....
& you get the features of Win2k, but without the NDS VS AD warring....
Starting to look VERY nice... while i still have all my hair.. &
before the users form a lynch mob... :(

Ahh well.....
Hope that gave you somewhere to start in any case, If you DO find an
elegant solution or someone out there has one (& DON'T MENTION
ZENWORKS! or I'll scream) please let me know.

Seeya
Yak.

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hypothetical
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 18:27:34 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Terry Porter"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 May 2001 18:26:38 -0700,
>  Paolo Ciambotti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> One other thing about the 6300 series was an optional package where you
>> could run a virtual DOS machine under UNIX, much like today's VMware.
>
> Or much like todays Dosemu ?

That's probably a closer approximation.  Or maybe Win4Lin from Netraverse.
 I haven't used any of them, so I'll defer to you on this one.

> But it was still DOS, and 8.3 filenames drive me insane, as theyre so
> limiting.

The DOS apps could see the UNIX filesystem, but the name translations
sucked buffalo cojones.  I think UNIX filenames were limited to 14
characters back then, so the DOS emulator would interpret a directory name
like "informixlibs" to something like "INF~4579".  It was horrible.  I had
huge directories of UNIX files that were just the timestamp plus ".dat";
i.e. "1231852359.dat".  The thing ran just fine for six months and then
blew up.  It took me days to figure out that I had exhausted the 14
character UNIX to 8+3 DOS filename conversion subroutines.

So much for nostalgia.  My head hurts now.  And I feel old.

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 21:25:49 -0400

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Daniel Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
> > >
> > > Pretty late. Much *too* late; it was up
> > > against 80286s by then, and the 386 was not
> > > far off.
> >
> > The only reason the GS was "too" late was Apple. Western digital could
> > have kept up refining the 65xxx family, but a a color computer that was
> > less expensive than the MAc would have cut into Mac sales.
>
> I know. Apple went for margin not
> marketshare. It's history. Depressing
> history, at that, if you liked the IIgs; and
> I did.
>
> [snip]
> > > Yes, I even programmed it once. It worked darned
> > > near exactly like the UI of a Macintosh, but in
> > > color.
> > >
> > > You could not ever use it on a //e however. There
> > > was a horrible bastardized thing involving a special
> > > font on the later Apple IIs, but it was not the
> > > same at all.
> >

> > WHen the Apple IIgs came out, you could use the desktop on a IIe. You
> > say you'ver "programmed" the GS, yet you dont know about this. You have
> > 0 Apple II credibility.
>
> You certainly could not use any IIgs system
> software on the //e. It was writen for
> the 65816 and make extensive use of that
> CPUs segmentation architecture.
>
> You had complete separate software
> for the //e, and it could sort of kind of
> emulate the Mac look-and-field with
> a special font. It was a pretty cheezy
> approach, really.
>
> What the IIgs had, on the other hand,
> was the real deal.

Yopu again show your 0 credibility. The GS original desktop was not 16
bit, but 8 bit. It ran under ProDos 8. Mousetext was used for the
graphics of the desktop and you could use it on a IIe. You had to pull
some files from the GS system disks, but it could be done. I know. I did
it. And it was documented in some of the Appl II magazines. Thats were I
learned about it.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 21:28:34 -0400

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Daniel Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
> > > There's a reason for this; Microsoft knows that if they
> > > jack up prices enough, they will create an opportunity
> > > for a competitor to supplant them, even if that
> > > competing product is not as good.
> > >

> > Digital tried that. They died. Go died. Netscape died.
>
> Microsoft didn't raise their prices for
> any of these guys; in fact they lowered them
> in some cases.

Microsoft lowered prices in face of Digital's competitoni, then raised
them again.

> Kinda rough on the competition, to judge
> by the bodycount. But good for consumers,
> certainly.

Rough on the competition? It's called predatory anti-compeitive pricing.

> > > If Windows becomes expensive enough, Linux on
> > > the desktop could actually succeed! Think of that,
> > > and tremble.
> >
> > Microsoft is already expensive enough. Linux can be had for media costs.
> > No licensing fees. How much cheaper does it have to get?
>
> MS Windows isn't expensive enough that Linux
> is justifiable, not on the desktop.

Why not?

> > > However, MS is not dumb enough to let this
> > > happen to them just because of some silly
> > > anti-trust theory.
> >
> > This shows how ignorant and arrogant you really are.
>
> Well, I could be wrong.

Duh.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:26:54 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 00:40:10 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
Ebert) wrote:

>THEY HAVE INTELLIMOUSE!!!
>
>OH LORDY LORDY LORDY!!!  WE DOOMED NOW!

Yep...

And you are stuck with an OS that supports less than half of it's
features....

Typical Linsux

flatfish++++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

------------------------------

From: "Joel Barnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win2k Sp2 Worked perfectly
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 18:26:11 -0700

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ome.com...
> On Thu, 24 May 2001 00:53:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >I installed SP2 under Win2k and it worked perfectly, just like SP1
> >did. Contrast this to the Mandrake update CD I was sent in the mail
> >thaty destroyed my entire system.
> >
> >Sorry but Linux still sucks and Windows ROCKS!!!!!
>
> Fuck off and die troll.  Win2k is pathetic for it's 40 year old file
system and
> the cpu and memory requirement of a super computer just to not run like a
dog.

NTFS is 40 years old ?
W2k will run fine on a P200 with 128 Mb RAM. Doesn't seem all that different
from running SuSE 7.1 with KDE to me.

> You may like having an OS with 30 million lines of brand new bug ridden
code,
> but I prefer something a little more mature.

If you like maturity, why do you have a problem with a 40 year old file
system ?

> You and MS deserve each other.

jbarntt

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:27:38 GMT

green wrote:

> um just a question
>
> how would I set up linux to work like (not using winframe or citrix
> metaframe)
> to keep a users programs running even though they logout so they resume
> where they left off
> but have the option to close the session (close programs if they aren't
> coming back)
>
> just a link would be fine. (setting up xterminal servers)
>
> thanks
> bye.

See the "nohup" command.  "man nohup" or "info nohup" will
explain.

Control-Z and control-Y suspend execution.

Chris

--
Please enter your Message Activation
Code now to read this message

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 04:24:48 +0200

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ome.com...

> Fuck off and die troll.  Win2k is pathetic for it's 40 year old file
system

40? NTFS is about 10  - 15 years old.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:30:24 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 00:58:56 GMT,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>On Thu, 24 May 2001 00:53:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I installed SP2 under Win2k and it worked perfectly, just like SP1
>>did. Contrast this to the Mandrake update CD I was sent in the mail
>>thaty destroyed my entire system.
>>
>>Sorry but Linux still sucks and Windows ROCKS!!!!!
>
>Fuck off and die troll.  Win2k is pathetic for it's 40 year old file system and
>the cpu and memory requirement of a super computer just to not run like a dog.
>
>You may like having an OS with 30 million lines of brand new bug ridden code,
>but I prefer something a little more mature.
>
>You and MS deserve each other.

I don't care if it has 30 trillion lines of buig infested code as long
as it works for ME.

I clicked on setup.exe, it saved my current config and installed SP@
and it all worked perfectly.

Compare this to Mandrakes update CD which destroyed a perfectly
working system....

SOrry....Linux loses again....

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RIP the Linux desktop
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 18:37:16 -0700

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On my desktop, Windows is 'once ran, now consigned to the wheelie bin of
> history'.

I like to keep a copy of Windows on my second drive so I can do a "strings
-a | grep 'Regents'" whenever someone asks me why Microsoft hates the GPL
so much.

------------------------------

From: Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:34:41 GMT

On Wed 23 May 2001 07:35, green wrote:

> um just a question
>
> how would I set up linux to work like (not using winframe or citrix
> metaframe) to keep a users programs running even though they logout so
> they resume where they left off but have the option to close the session
> (close programs if they aren't coming back)
>
> just a link would be fine. (setting up xterminal servers)
>
> thanks
> bye.

Something like screen(1) would work great for terminal programs, and with
some juggling VNC can do the same for X apps.  I assume you mean "program
is exactly as I left it" and not just the usual state management stuff,
correct?

--
Chronos Tachyon
Guardian of Eristic Paraphernalia

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: XP 'Loctivation' was: Wintroll nonsense
Date: 24 May 2001 01:37:39 GMT

On Wed, 23 May 2001 11:24:37 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 23 May 2001 12:03:43 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 23 May 2001 02:27:17 -0600,
>> Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> One thing I was wondering here is, will making it harder to steal just
>>> turn casual pirates into serious pirates?
>>
>>Why steal when there is a free alternative ?
>
> People are strange. There's a group I lurk in now and then,
> alt.comp.freeware, where everyone gets all excited over silly little
> Windows freeware programs. I told them once that if they want the
> ultimate in freeware, they ought to switch to linux. But nobody
> listened. :(

Thats just amazing isn't it?

Linux is the ULTIMATE source of free, unrestricted and bug free
applications.

Just yesterday, I installed the GTK visual developer 'Glade',
and that is just so cool!

Then I installed the TCL visual developer, 'Visual TCL', another
very cool development environment.

Finally I installed 'Gtktalog' a CD reading database, and began
databasing all my CD's.

Total Freeware    = 0
Total Sharware    = 0
Total Demoware    = 0
Total Crippleware = 0

Total Free Software (GPL) open and unrestricted = 3

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:43:16 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 04:24:48 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>ome.com...
>

>> Fuck off and die troll.  Win2k is pathetic for it's 40 year old file
>system
>
>40? NTFS is about 10  - 15 years old.

Actually I exagerated a bit.  The technology is only 30 years old.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 24 May 2001 01:42:32 GMT

On Wed, 23 May 2001 20:41:01 GMT,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I found it in 5 seconds with Google with "820Cse".
>
> Funny thing about these Linvocates, for all of the reading they have
> to do to install and maintain Linux, they always seem to panic when a
> Windows install is in their future.

Hahahaha, GOOD point Flattie, and something even you could learn from.

I personally *hate* installing Windows, because of all the EXTRA work
I have to do, compared to installing Linux.

I have felt this way for about 2 years now, as Windows hassles
stayed the same, and Linux distos got easier and easier.

In fact the Yggdrassil Linux disto I installed in 1993
was easier than Win95 which came out 3 YEARS LATER, and
on the same hardware!

From: Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:45:07 GMT

On Wed 23 May 2001 07:53, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I installed SP2 under Win2k and it worked perfectly, just like SP1
> did. Contrast this to the Mandrake update CD I was sent in the mail
> thaty destroyed my entire system.
>
> Sorry but Linux still sucks and Windows ROCKS!!!!!
>

> flatfish++++
> "Why do they call it a flatfish?"

Too bad Micro$oft decided to screw their own customers with SP2.  I just
found out the hard way that you can't participate in a Samba 2.2.0 domain
if you have SP2 installed -- everything instantly stops working as soon as
the service pack is installed.

Also, I fail to understand how you could possibly have installed Win2K
without repartitioning and reformatting as NTFS.  In that respect
(destroying existing data), Linux and WinNT/2K are on equal footing.  Be
warned, if you installed to a FAT32 partition, you had better keep the
machine behind a very tight firewall...

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake Sucks!!!!
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 18:59:27 -0700

In article <g6uN6.593$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "~¿~"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Uh, ... yeah. As in:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=terry+porter+linux&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&btnG
> =Google+Search&meta=site%3Dgroups
> Relevant Messages for terry porter linux    Results 1 - 10 of about
> 4,330. Search took 0.56 seconds
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=flatfish&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&meta=site%3Dgr
> oups
> Results 1 - 10 of about 2,800. Search took 0.38 seconds
>
> Now then. Who is spending 'their entire lives posting ..." ????
>
> Idiot.

Here idiot, try this.

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=&num=10&as_scoring=r&\
btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=&\
as_usubject=&as_uauthors=Terry+Porter&as_umsgid=&lr=&as_drrb=q&\
as_qdr=&as_mind=29&as_minm=3&as_miny=1995&as_maxd=23&\
as_maxm=5&as_maxy=2001

This is from Google's advanced search page, plugging "Terry Porter" into
the author field.  Just to save you some time, the total is 1990.  That's
a shitbundle off from your fictitious figure of 4330.  Learn to use the
tool correctly before you quote the tool's results as authoritative.

Idiot.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: 24 May 2001 01:50:15 GMT

On Wed, 23 May 2001 17:33:46 +0100, Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> With Linux on 4 different virtual desktops,
>
> Just 4? I've got 8. My SO seems happy with about 20.

I've got 10, but really need 20. Ice WM dockbar gets a bit clogged
with more than 10 :(

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Chaney)
Subject: errunt r kookla threatens lawsuit - oh my ribs!
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:56:08 GMT

On Wed, 23 May 2001 18:50:54 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Steve Chaney wrote:
>>
>> Errunt R Kookla wrote:

>> >Let's see...if you're a man, and you have sex with a female infected
>> >with AIDS, your chances of contracting AIDS is....
>> >

>> >                               zero.
>>
>> LOL holy shit you are a moron.
>> (Ok sorry for the redundancy there.)
>>
>> FYI folks this Aaron Kulkis thingy got kicked out of college for cheating.
>
>Bzzzzzzzt! wrong.  I ran out of money.
>
>Say that again, and I'll see you in court.

Not only were you kicked out for cheating, but you are also a crack whore -
- damn, what was all that shit I called Trish? -
and your momma wears army boots.

-- Steve, ya gonna burn down my house too, bitch?

===============================
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (remove the "-" to email me)
This site is just TOO COOL for a counter! http://www.self-acceptance.org
"As long as an enemy is judged solely by his appearance, his victory is assured." -
Outer Limits
STOP SMOKING NOW!!! ASK ME HOW!!! http://www.geocities.com/brenduh52/
The alt.bonehead.jim-dutton FAQ @ http://www.best.com/~paladin/jjd-faq.txt
"anybody that takes usenet to seriously deserves to be beaten to death." - Turtoni
"Let 'em eat eep" - Lady Veteran

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 24 May 2001 02:01:29 GMT

On Wed, 23 May 2001 16:09:19 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2001 02:45:35 GMT, "Richard J. Donovan"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>Actually, it is called the "flatfish."  Unless it's like Elvis, in which
>>case it's "The Flatfish."  Or perhaps it's like Elvis in the U.K.,
>>whence "The Flatfish".  But then, actually, one would call it `The
>>Flatfish'.
>
> And all this time I though Elvis was dead?
Didn't you see MIB ?

Elvis isn't really dead, or even really human!

--
Kind Regards
Terry