From: "fmc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Newbie Linux User Asks:
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 15:24:41 GMT

"Anonymous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> You just setup IP masquerading
> and you can connect every PC in your
> home to the Internet.

He could, but that's not what he asked about.  He simply wants to use
AOL/AIM with Linux, not connect  a LAN to the Internet.

fm

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:28:51 +0100

> I wouldn't say so. The problem is that the ones that you *meet* are the
> ones that are like that. Hell, I know of someone that *reinstalled* the
> OS just because he accidently activated the history side bar on IE, and
> didn't know how to turn that off.

The mind boggles. If he could figure out the whole reinstalling thing,
one wonders why on earth he didn't figure out how to turn it off.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s{15
}d f/t{240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage}d pop t

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aaron kulkis steals his brother ian turdboy's crack pipe
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 15:30:17 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina) wrote:

>>He lost all credibility when he got more ridiculous the next time around.
>>
>>No need to prosecute the matter when Steve off's himself.
>
>So, yes, you will pretend he didn't say anything. Nice to know you are
>as spineless as I suspected.

Well, in the Kook's defense, the guy did essentially admit that he was
not serious about the charge, when he brought out the "crack whore"
nonsense....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Date: 24 May 2001 15:37:30 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 15:30:17 GMT, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina) wrote:
>
>>>He lost all credibility when he got more ridiculous the next time around.
>>>
>>>No need to prosecute the matter when Steve off's himself.
>>
>>So, yes, you will pretend he didn't say anything. Nice to know you are
>>as spineless as I suspected.
>
>Well, in the Kook's defense, the guy did essentially admit that he was
>not serious about the charge, when he brought out the "crack whore"
>nonsense....

Whatever. Aaron barely lets a day pass without threatening someone in
some way. Of course all his threats are hot air, because he is
morally invertebrate.

Yes, Aaron, I am baiting you, because it amuses me to see you get
all anxious. And I wouldn't consider cheating in school to be
beneath you. After all, you seem to be completely ignorant of
anything computer-related, yet you say you managed to get close
to the end of a college career.

Cheating is one wy to explain that, you know.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:38:21 +0100

>> Which one works better ?
>
> Define 'works better'. The Windows one offers more features (3D sound
> for example), S/PDIF support etc.

Wow! part of this thread is still (if not on topic) about Windows vs.
Linux. Wierd.

-Ed

Oh:

Works better:

The latest Linux offering runs happily on my machine at a reasonable
speed and with no problems.

Do you think the latest version of windows does?

Another version of works better:

Under Linux, I can consistently burn CDs at 8x with no problems. UNder
windows, it produces coaster after coaster.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,sci.physics
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:46:20 +0100

> On major effect of the different frequencies is that higher frequency
> photons have greater energy than lower frequency ones.  This is why
> gamma rays can go through most substances, including thin metal, whereas

Gamma rays will go through quite thick metal. I heard an alternative
explanation to this recently (in a book called "The Physics of Vibrations
and Waves"), which explains it from an entirely different point of view.

The explanation is that at very high frequencies, the conductivity of
metals decreases greatly, especially in proportion to the permiability.
This increases the distance that a wave can propogate through the metal.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Doupnik)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.netware.connectivity,comp.os.netware.security
Subject: Re: Single sign-on authentication for Novell, Windows and Linux?
Date: 24 May 01 09:42:41 MDT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Flacco
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Flacco wrote:
>

>> Is it possible to set up an authentication system that will allow
>> Windows PC users to connect to Linux, Netware 4.11, and NT/Win2K servers
>> with a single logon, and without having to change passwords on multiple
>> systems?
>>
>> Ideally it would allow admins to maintain all user accounts in a single
>> location as well.
>>

> There is a fairly new product from Novell called Novell Single Sign-on
> that supposedly does exactly this.
>
> I found it shortly after posting the original message, and
> coincidentally the next morning I received a message on one of the DL's
> at our University that they're having Novell demonstrate Single Sign-on
> next week.
>
> Seems there are plans afoot to put the whole university in a single
> sign-on directory, which would solve a lot of my immediate issues.
>
> I'd still be interested in any other solutions that you might come
> across, so please post anyway...
=========
        Novell has a Single Sign-on product, about to be released at a
higher version number. It has been two components: SSO and optional V-Go.
V-Go handles intercepting login popup boxes within web browsers, SSO does
the grunt work and handles applications which do their own login boxes.
The NW server runs the Secret Store in NDS (each user has its own, and
it can be shielded from even the system manager). A cached copy can reside
on the workstation (it's updated from the server, and restored on the server)
for quick reaction.
        Clients run NMAS and SSO (and optionally V-Go), servers get the
server part of NMAS. NMAS is creeping in many places, not just with SSO.
NMAS is Novell's modular authentication services, a clever bit of code
for secure and authenticated end to end credential handling.
        As an example, if I bring up a web page to say Amazon.com where
a login is requested then V-Go detects it, provides a short time for me
to cancel V-Go, then fills in my credentials. I just watch. It's per web
site. If a new site has a login box V-Go asks if it is to participate and
if so provides a box to specify credentials. I can look at my Secret Store,
edit what's there, etc. Works fine on my desktop and laptop with Win98 and
Win2K. Just think of how many such credentials we have today.
        You can read more about it by visiting Novell's web site and asking
about Single Sign-On. While there also read about iChain, which is moving
similar technology to a proxy web server rather than having an interceptor
on the desktop.
        Joe D.

------------------------------

From: JS \ PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 11:59:17 -0400

T. Max Devlin wrote:

> Said JS \ PL in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 23 May 2001 03:07:03
>    [...]
>>> Another admission that Mafia$oft is over 30 years behind in basic
>>technology.
>>
>>I was wrong. It's a post install regedit in WINNT that I didn't know
>>about.
>
> Neither did anyone else.

Obviously, they did. And I'm sure if I would have scanned through the
thousands of utilities in my Resource Kit disk I would have known about it.
And thousands of other things.

>Was the sock puppet handler one of the recent
> executive refugees?  You guys seem to be falling behind.
>
> Given the lack of any knowledge of this regedit key that supposedly
> allows applications to 'keep running when the user logs out' (no telling
> if this is the case, or if NT/2K/XP is just re-starting and reloading,
> as Unix desktops have been doing for decades), I would suggest that the
> chances are very likely that the damn thing doesn't work very well to
> begin with.  Letting everybody know you can try it would just prove the
> point.
>
> MS has a lot of this kind of stuff in their monopoly crapware.  Can
> anybody think of any reason they would not inform people these features
> are available, besides the fact that they are even worse than things
> like the Registry itself or the PPP dialer in Windows.

Obviously they HAVE informed people, since people know about it.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: rad50 character set (was Re: Blame it all on Microsoft)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leonard Fehskens)
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 16:18:52 GMT

On 23 May 2001 14:01:39 -0700, Eric Smith at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote

>rad50 was 50 octal, so it had fourty (decimal) characters.  26 alpha, 10
>numeric, four symbols, and no carriage control.

No wonder I never got it right!

Hey, it was 30 years ago.

len.

------------------------------

From: Techno Barbie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intermediate user who left Windows for Linux
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 16:25:41 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> When you lie, you should at least attempt to provide believeable lies.
> Here is why you are lying:
>
> 1)  MS doesn't know your email address, so they can't send you an email if
> you try to install Office on more than one PC.  Activation is an all or
> nothing process, you will simply not be allowed to activate if you are
> over your limits, no emails will or could be sent.

And before you start throwing flames, better make sure you know what your
talking about. We are talking MS Word not MS Office. And we are talking
about the 2000 (US) version, which does require you to either e-mail MS or
call them. So on those points alone, your accusation that I'm lying is
null. It appears to me you just want to start a flame, and I will ignore
all future flames from you.

Techno Barbie

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 18:35:00 +0200
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Unknown"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2001 11:42:03 +0200, "David Brown"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message ...

>>>Yep...
>>>
>>>And you are stuck with an OS that supports less than half of it's
>>>features....
>>>
>>>Typical Linsux
>>>

>>The features of my Intellimouse are a ball, three buttons and a wheel.
>>Mandrake supports all of these - without needing to download or install
>>extra drivers.  What other features does your Intellimouse have?
>
> Some examples: Viewing a webpage I can click on the wheel and then
> scroll the page in extremely fine increments (not a line at a time like
> Mandrake does) up down / left or right.
>
> In applications that have multiple windows within a window on the screen
> (like Agent for example), if I move the mouse over the other window I
> can scroll immediately without having to click the button first.
> I know Linux supports the active Window focus but you still have to
> click to make the wheel work.
>
> I can also assign commands to the wheel or buttons EASILY.

Sorry flatty,

Those are functions of the driver, not of the mouse itself. As for me, I
have a Logitech Optical Wheelmouse, and it performs your second example
perfectly fine, ie I can scroll a window without first activating it, and
it works in almost all applications (the ones that don't I have to hover
the cursor over a scrollbar).
The other examples I don't need, nor do I particularly miss them, but I
imagine it wouldn't be too hard to hack them into the X Input drivers.

mart

--
Gimme back my steel, gimme back my nerve
Gimme back my youth for the dead man's curve

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: EXTRA EXTRA MS ADMITS!!!!
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 16:37:44 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> Modules are not CPU pins.  The CPU can have any pinout and still be
> compatible with a module if there is enough logic on the module
> circuitboard.

I know.. that's why I said "not that it matters, since the HP workstations use
CPU modules..."  I was inferring that the CPU pinout could be different, but
perhaps adapted to a compatible module.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Senior Engineer-Qualcomm-http://www.miguelito.org
"PCMCIA - People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms"

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 16:58:32 GMT

Said Chad Myers in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 23 May 2001 19:03:11
>"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> > "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > They're not afraid of anything. No one would use IE on Linux
>>
>> As opposed to the endless masses using it on Solaris and HP-UX?  Linux/BSD
>> easily have 100 times the number of desktop users.
>
>A current fad. MS waits until there's a solid base. In 2 years they'll all
>be gone.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!  Solaris is a current fad?  No, no... there's
a solid base of IE on HP-UX!   Fucking guffaw, man.  You're a god-damned
lunatic.  "MS waits until there's a solid base."  What the fuck is that
supposed to mean?

From: Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win2k Sp2 Worked perfectly
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:00:34 GMT

On Wed 23 May 2001 10:23, Paolo Ciambotti wrote:

> In article <DIZO6.9323$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chronos Tachyon"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Too bad Micro$oft decided to screw their own customers with SP2.  I just
>> found out the hard way that you can't participate in a Samba 2.2.0
>> domain if you have SP2 installed -- everything instantly stops working
>> as soon as the service pack is installed.
>
> Jeremy Allison's already fixed it.  You need to grab the latest CVS.
> MSFT are being bastards again, but they're ineffective bastards.

I know, but I've gotta wait for the weekend after 2.2.1 is released for
stability reasons or the natives will grow restless.

--
Chronos Tachyon
Guardian of Eristic Paraphernalia

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:05:26 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> OTOH, Netscape 4.7x crashes regularly and now, I can't even get it
> to start up, it just core dumps.

Hmm.. it's rock solid for me.

> Netscape 6 requires practically reinstalling the OS, but it seems to
> fair a little better. Of course it's a usability and functionality
> nightmare and the news reader is a complete pile of ****.

I only had to install 1 patch for NS6.. hardly reinstalling the OS.

It actually works ok for me here.. been running it for a few hours now, but
the newsreader is definately slower then 4.7x, so I'm sticking to it for news
for now (plus I have my NGs all picked, cached and caught up to where I am).

> Hmm, I'm on my second Solaris 7 install on this box, and both times I've
> had the exact same experience. Netscape seems to fall apart after only
> a few uses until it no longer runs at all.

Funny, win advocate always claim that people reinstall windows when they don't
need to.. the only time I've _ever_ had to reinstall solaris was either due to
a hardware failure, or due to wanting to completely redo my disk slicing.

If you re-installed for any other reasons, you don't know what you're doing.
You can always backout patches (unless you didn't install them properly or
have small disks), and Solaris boxes don't degrade like windows appears to
over time.

> Again, NS 6 seems better in this regards, but only if you manage to install
> it without hosing your OS.

Which is simple since it's difficult to actually hose solaris.. unless one
wants to deliberately.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Senior Engineer-Qualcomm-http://www.miguelito.org
"Bill Gates is a white Persian cat and a monocle away

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
From: Paul Repacholi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 May 2001 00:12:18 +0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Pop) writes:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Eric Smith
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leonard Fehskens) writes:

> >> Since many alphanumeric applications could get by with 50
> >> characters (26 single case alphabetics, 10 numerics, and 14
> >> punctuation and "carriage control" characters), "radix50" was a
> >> common encoding on the early PDP machines.

> >rad50 was 50 octal, so it had fourty (decimal) characters.  26
> >alpha, 10 numeric, four symbols, and no carriage control.

> The whole idea being to be able to pack 3 characters in a 16-bit
> word: 40 x 40 x 40 = 64000.

No, the original reson was to be able to fit a 6 char symbol name into
2x18 bits, and have some flag bits as well. It was fully compatible
with all 1963 C compilers and code. For the 6, the double 18 bit word
became a single 36 bit word. The name chaange from Mod40 to Rad50 was
when a 6 came out I believe.

Later it was used in the 11 family for file names as well.

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.