From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Newbie Linux User Asks:
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 03:05:35 -0400

WJP wrote:

> I have relatives in another state that use AOL software exclusively for
> their internet connection.  This appears to me to be a stumbling block
> for me to completely get rid of Windows from my PC's. (Those relatives
> have no intention of switching to Linux or getting away from "AOL
> Hell").  I am vaguely familiar with VMWare and wine, however, those
> programs still require Windows to be installed ( unless I misunderstand
> the way these programs are "set up"). Heck, if I have to have Windows
> installed to run either one of those, I might as well continue using the
> AOL software "within" Windows.  Does anyone know if there is Linux-based
> software which can be used to provide interface with AOL's software?
> Does Netscape for Linux have the AOL Instant Message capability?

i know you said you can't get them to switch...but try this:

Get them to convert to cable modem
approx same price as telephone connection, and no phone tie-ups.

> You may be wondering why I asked these questions in a Linux advocacy
> news group.  The reason is thusly:  I agree that most Linux
> distributions provide numerous applications in their "bundles", however,
> unless there are program capabilities included to cover situations such
> as described above, the requirement for Windows installs will continue -
> regardless of what a person, such as myself, would prefer to install. In
> other words:  I cannot "safely" tell my wife that she can no longer talk
> on-line with her sister just because I want to be "Windows free".
>
> Regards,
> Bill Powell
> USAF/USA (Ret) Management Systems Analyst
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to hack with a crash, another Microsoft "feature"
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 03:13:37 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Edward Rosten
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sun, 13 May 2001 23:46:14 +0100
> >>
> >> If you take a random number, then modify it, it's no longer random.  If
> >
> >That is not true. I can take a random number and multiple it by two, the
> >result still being random.
>
> But with different characteristics.
>
> Take a random number, uniformly distributed from 0 to 1 [*], and multiply
> by 2.  One gets a random number, uniformly distributed from 0 to 2.
>
> It gets worse.
>
> Take two random numbers which are both uniformly distributed from
> 0 to 1 and add them together.  One gets a "tent"-distributed random
> number, which starts at 0, peaks at 1, and ends at 2.
>
> Take two uniformly-distributed random numbers from 0 to 1 and multiply them
> together -- one would probably get a weird-looking thing.  I'd have
> to work out what it looks like, but it would still be random -- just
> not uniformly-distributed.
>
> And then there's the bell curve... :-)
>
> This is admittedly leading to an interesting, if slightly goofy, utility,
> just to check my statements... :-)

http://ECE.www.ecn.purdue.edu/ECE/Undergraduates/Courses/coursede.pdf

Go down to EE302 and see the references for the various density functions.

> [rest snipped]
>
> [*] to be precise, the area under the range (x, x+Dx) would be the
>     probability that a random number would fall in that range.  This
>     means that the area under (-oo,+oo) has to have area 1.  For
>     a uniformly-distributed random number from 0 to 1, this isn't
>     much of an issue as the curve is 1 from [0,1] and 0 everywhere else.
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- who knows just enough statistics to be dangerous
> EAC code #191       24d:19h:53m actually running Linux.
>                     I am, you are, he, she, and it is, but they're not.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Time to bitc__ again
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 03:15:57 -0400

Anders Lund wrote:

> daniel wrote:
>
> > Its time to do this again.  Im not receiving enough spam, havent
> > alienated enough people who know me, and, well, need to get this off
> > my chest.
> >
> > Im really disappointed with the current sorry state of three of the
> > major distributions of Linux.
> >
> > Redhat 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0 are laughable in terms of how buggy they
> > are.  Under both of them Gnome and KDE work like crap.  Mandrake 8 had
> > a serious install problem with mice which was know several
> > pre-releases before the final release but wasnt fixed (their
> > developers never saw the gazillion threads about this?)
> > The latest Gnome and KDE both are funky.  Gnome has a serious problem
> > with window focus.  KDE likes to freeze and is basically unusable.
>
> Well for most of us both work like a charm. I prefer KDE to gnome because
> of it's better GUI and integration, but whenever I log into GNOME it works
> fine.
>
> > I also havent been able to sucessfully compile a kernel on either of
> > these.  Everytime I read the threads I see that there are broken libcs
> > because they are rushing to get 2.4 releases out the door and using
> > unstable libraries.
>
> Again, many of us don't see those problems. The glibc have funny habits,
> but nothing that can't be easily solved if you can read.

You must remmeber.  Daniel is a product of American schools.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 03:19:34 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2001 11:42:03 +0200, "David Brown"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message ...

> >>Yep...
> >>
> >>And you are stuck with an OS that supports less than half of it's
> >>features....
> >>
> >>Typical Linsux
> >>

> >The features of my Intellimouse are a ball, three buttons and a wheel.
> >Mandrake supports all of these - without needing to download or install
> >extra drivers.  What other features does your Intellimouse have?
>
> Some examples: Viewing a webpage I can click on the wheel and then
> scroll the page in extremely fine increments (not a line at a time
> like Mandrake does) up down / left or right.

not worth the disk space, let alone the resident memory consumed.

in fact...not even worth my fucking time.

> In applications that have multiple windows within a window on the
> screen (like Agent for example), if I move the mouse over the other
> window I can scroll immediately without having to click the button
> first.
> I know Linux supports the active Window focus but you still have to
> click to make the wheel work.

horrors!

> I can also assign commands to the wheel or buttons EASILY.
>

> flatfish++++
> "Why do they call it a flatfish?"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 09:59:20 +0200

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:oLlP6.6571$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > If you bought bought Win2K just to run this spesific DLL...
>
> Yes, that is the sole purpose of 8 machines, replacing the 2
> Linux/Apache boxes that used to do the same work.  The
> whole point of changing the servers was to utilize xsl formatting
> of our xml data.

U, that is very... unwise of you.
There are plenty of XML/XSL formatting software around.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: article on Windows 2002
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:05:17 +0200

"Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Keeping SQL server 2000 until XP comes out and then it might end up
> >> being SQLXP
> >>
> >> Don't even have any vowels in that one, lol.
> >>
> >> I'm right in assuming SQL server 2000 came from SQL server *2.0* right?
> >> There is a nomenclature change right there.
> >
> > No, SQL Server 2000 is SQL Server 8.0
> >

> there is still a change in naming convention is there not?

Yes, but there are a lot of products that does it.
MS does it more often than most other people.
Win95 - Windows 4.0
Office 97 - Offuce 8.0
Windows XP - Windows 5.1
Visual Studio .NET - VS 7.0

Now, if you want to get to version hopping...
Windows NT started as 3.1, IIRC, VS had been jumped up twice, too.
There are probably other things there that I missed.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Warning to new users of Windows XP
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:08:03 +0200

"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9ejv6e$3cgqb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
>

> > "David Kaczysnki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > on
> > >
> > > .NET will never (be allowed to) succeed.
> >
> > It will.  US senators have already been paid off, there is a large mass
of
> > idiots, Chad Myers is having an orgasm over the whole issue, why
wouldn't
> > it succeed?
> >

> Because most countries don't have free broadband internet - why should I
> have to pay by the minute to load and run all my applications over a 56k
> modem ( it will probably still be slow with an ISDN line) when I can run
> better software for free under a more stable alternative operating system.

That is not .NET, you know.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:09:49 +0200

"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9ejvrt$3fup8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > That aside, the above software do encounter a failure, don't they?
>
> I haven't found any word files yet that at least one of these packages can
> read.

I'm going to qoute you on this one next time somebody complains about being
forced to buy MS products for compatability.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:12:09 +0200

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9ek4ai$k62$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> The mind boggles. If he could figure out the whole reinstalling thing,
> >> one wonders why on earth he didn't figure out how to turn it off.
> >
> > On, reinstalling is quite easy. You shove the CD in the drive, and then
> > you click keep clicking next.
>
> Then install drivers, applications, etc etc.

He didn't format first, he reinstall on top of existing install.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft to Linux
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:17:12 +0200

"Interconnect" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9ek2b9$q6s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> > since when has FTP and Samba worked over the NetBEUI protocol?
>
> Who said FTP and Samba worked over NetBEUI protocol???
>
> The poster said in "it won't be sharing as in mounted drives, but it will
be
> two way whole file transfer"
>
> NOW do you get it?

And it will be accessible via Explorer.
The path would be a little strange to the user, but you can put it in
Networking Neightberhood if you want.
A shortcut on the desktop is the easiest way to do it.
It takes a little savviness, but you can put it in My Computer like another
drive, too.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 03:20:53 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Unknown"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Typical Linux, there is always "something" extra that needs to be done
> > > in order to fully utilize a piece of hardware.
> > >

> > > flatfish++++
> > > "Why do they call it a flatfish?"
> >
> > That was the point flatty. The *hardware* is fully supported, the most
> > important *extra* functionality is in the driver. Obviously there is not
> > enough demand with Linux users to add the rest of the features you want,
> > otherwise someone would have added them to the X Input drivers a long
> > time ago.
>
> Or they've just got used to having sub-standard support for their hardware,

Considering that most of the people who WRITE hardware drivers
are also Linux users, your accusation fails.

> they don't care.
>
> -c

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 09:16:52 +0200

Jan Johanson wrote in message <3b0d8277$0$56152$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Said Chad Myers in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 23 May 2001 13:43:22
>> >"David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:9efs03$9ar$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>The
>existance -
>Linux
>> >
>> >Um, Win98 supports the intellimouse. There are updated drivers which you
>> >can get from Microsoft.com, but last time I used Win98 it found my
>> >intellimouse just fine.
>>
>> Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!
>
>Laugh? Why? Are you that embaressed at the truth.
>Intellimouse support was available on Windows before any other platform,
>period. And, Win98 finds an intellimouse without any difficulty. Of course
>linux played catch up later...

MS has support for their own mouse on their own OS before anyone else?  Now,
that's a surprise.

Win98 finds an intellimouse without any problem - it calls it a standard
2-button mouse.  What it doesn't do is include drivers for the extra bits
(the wheel/middle button) on the CD - this is an extra.  Windows CDs tend to
have a bare minimum of usable drivers - e.g., they have drivers for lots of
video cards, but only for low res, non-accellerated modes.  Everything else
in an installation relies on a pile of 3rd party CDs.

------------------------------

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,sci.physics
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 09:25:47 +0200

Edward Rosten wrote in message <9ejac2$60u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>> On major effect of the different frequencies is that higher frequency
>> photons have greater energy than lower frequency ones.  This is why
>> gamma rays can go through most substances, including thin metal, whereas
>
>Gamma rays will go through quite thick metal. I heard an alternative
>explanation to this recently (in a book called "The Physics of Vibrations
>and Waves"), which explains it from an entirely different point of view.

It all depends on how "thin" or "thick" metal you have, the type of metal
(e.g., lead vs. aluminium), and the energy (frequency) of the gamma rays.

>The explanation is that at very high frequencies, the conductivity of
>metals decreases greatly, especially in proportion to the permiability.
>This increases the distance that a wave can propogate through the metal.

That's an interesting explanation - it definitly sounds sensible, but I'm
afraid it's getting a bit beyond my understanding, so I'll have to take your
word for it.

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: errunt r kookla threatens lawsuit - oh my ribs!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 01:00:37 -0700

Brock Hannibal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 24 May 2001, jet wrote:
>

> > Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > with
> > >
> > > It's kind of hard for Aaron to find the type of woman of his caliber
and
> > > intellect in the area where he lives.  After all, there are no trailer
> > > parks, ghettos, or projects in his area.
> >
> > What do you have against women who live in trailer parks, ghettos and
> > projects?

> They usually don't have enough money to treat me right.
>
> --
> Brock

Maybe they could pool their funds.