Linux-Advocacy Digest #848, Volume #34           Tue, 29 May 01 22:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (Michael Marion)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: Opera (drsquare)
  Re: Opera (drsquare)
  Re: A Newbie Linux User Asks: (drsquare)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (Donn Miller)
  Re: Time to bitc__ again ("Gazzard")
  Re: Who to install a .gz.tar file? (James Knott)
  Re: Article: Insurer Considers Microsoft NT High-Risk ("Paolo Ciambotti")
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news  (Michel Catudal)
  Re: ease and convenience (Terry Porter)
  Light waves beat radio waves?? (was Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)) (The Ghost In The
Machine)
  Re: Anyone holding their breath waiting for LSB? ("Paolo Ciambotti")
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (Michael Vester)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the  (Chris Ahlstrom)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 00:08:29 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Edward Rosten
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 20 May 2001 16:14:27 +0100
<9e8jfm$fqi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>> Of course a professional is required to go above and beyond the call of
>>> duty.
>>
>> So in order to use Linux you need to be a professional? In order to use
>> Windows you don't need to be. It just works.
>                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>pull the other one. It's got bells on.

No, he's right.  Windows just works -- if one sets it up properly,
as in "imaged straight from a known working system as part of
a replication run of thousands of PCs" -- in other words, bought
off-the shelf. :-)  (The vast majority of consumer equipment,
AFAIK, is bought that way.)

But if the user wants to upgrade it, or install "foreign" software
on it, then the fun starts.

(I've been there.  Apparently my version of Quake overwrote
a DLL with an older version, causing problems -- according to the
tech type who had to reimage [*] the system.  A little bizarre.)

Linux, by contrast, doesn't have the advantage (yet!) of being
replicated in thousands of systems and available "off-the-shelf",
but, as compensation, installs very easily (in most cases).
Slap in a CD and go...

[.sigsnip]

[*] for those remembering VMS days, this might be construed as
    a physical-block restore.  There is the faint possibility that
    it is a logical-block restore, however, depending on the
    sophistication of their installation equipment.

                    [select one]
                    I am, you are, he, she, and it is, but they're not.
                    No electrons were harmed during this message.
                    This space for rent.
                    This is my other .sig.
                    No neutrons were harmed during this message.
                    The EAC doesn't exist, but they're still watching you.
                    Most advice is free.  Sometimes, it's worth it.
                    Yes, uptime & wall clock aren't in synch; I don't know why.

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 00:10:39 GMT

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Don't forget; you're thinking about Linux, but Chad's talking about
> Solaris.  He's got a commercial company to complain to if anything isn't

Actually no.. I'm talking about Solaris too.  I admin Solaris machines at
work, and have two at home.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Senior Engineer-Qualcomm-http://www.miguelito.org
"Because right now, developing software for Microsoft is like brushing the

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 01:20:58 +0100

On Tue, 29 May 2001 15:28:25 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"wrinkled shirt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:<3b13b4c3$0$94307$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>> > Don't forget security, of which the MacOS has none.
>>
>> I don't know about that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but last
>> time I checked they didn't support VBScript files. That's better
>> security than some right there.

>VBScripts end up being executables which only run with as much
>or less privilege than the user.
>
>How is this different from perl scripts on Unix?

I doubt someone running as root is going to run a perl script someone
has just e-mailed them. On the other hand, on Windows, even the
thickest, least knowledgeable user has complete priveliges over the
system, and Outlook makes it piss easy for an unknowing user to run an
attachment.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Opera
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 01:20:59 +0100

On Wed, 30 May 2001 07:48:26 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >software and help support a small software company, in

>> >When you can get a better browser for free, why pay?

>> Name a better browser than Opera.

>Internet Explorer 5.x

HAHAHAHAH. Good one. Now come on, seriously, name a better browser
than Opera.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 01:21:00 +0100

On Tue, 29 May 2001 21:36:08 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Tue, 29 May 2001 20:49:24 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>>Name a better browser than Opera.

>IE 5.0...
>
>I don't like MS nor it's tactics any more than any other semi sane
>person but they make the best browser no contest.

I was being serious. I didn't want a joke answer.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Newbie Linux User Asks:
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 01:21:01 +0100

On Wed, 30 May 2001 09:10:47 +1000, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Interconnect" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

>> >Now, for that same real price (a loaf of bread), I can talk
>> >to anyone ANYWHERE in the USA, Canada, or the United Kingdom
>> >for at least 15 minutes (or longer!).

>> Why the fuck have you replied twice to the same post?

>Because he can.  Free country and that sort of stuff...

So? I can type this:

foiswfhcnwqtyew98vyb598y5bv95b39fh
jrvyn986497643r£"$£"!£"!

but it still wouldn't make any sense.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 01:21:02 +0100

On Wed, 30 May 2001 00:31:03 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Peter Köhlmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:

>>>Most of the stuff you mentioned has better alternatives in Windows
>>>(like cmd.exe instead of bash, IIS instead of apache, ASP instead of PHP,
>>>Windows instead of X, jesus christ, etc) so you wouldn't need to download
>>>most of it.

>> Are you actually TAKING the PISS?

>Well, you have to be quite insane or thorougly intoxicated to claim that
>CMD.EXE is *better* than bash.
>As well his other examples are quite loughable. In each case I would prefer
>the none-windows-version.

You can get bash for windows.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 20:35:39 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Chad Myers wrote:

> VBScripts end up being executables which only run with as much
> or less privilege than the user.
>
> How is this different from perl scripts on Unix?

Because Perl scripts can't touch "normal" users' files.  It's obvious:
Windows 98 is a wide-open system, and most unices are not.  The only way
to delete users' files on a unix system is if someone compromised the
system, and put a rogue Perl script where it shouldn't be.

From: "Gazzard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Time to bitc__ again
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:36:50 +1000

hehe, this is some funny shit.
listen to you all.

but since we are here, i will put my two cents in. Mandrake is shit, always
has been. Ever since it was copied from redhat, anyone who uses mandrake but
says redhat sucks is kidding themselves because all they are using is a
buggy version of RedHat.

Debian is good, redhat (prior to 7.0) is good, Slackware is good and any BSD
system is good, apart from that, everything else sucks.

hehe, sorry i had to do it. But it is really funny.
Go Team Shoe
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Who to install a .gz.tar file?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 01:03:31 GMT

Fred K Ollinger wrote:

> Scsi ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : Yeah ... why should I be penalized through levied taxes and taxation because
> : someone else downloads copyrighted materials? Too much government = slavery.
> : Down here in the US the government = big business and we have all become
> : robots and slaves to a group of captialist and greedy folks. Uh ... not all
> : of us but 90% perhaps. So blind.
>
> : Scsi2
>
> : "James Knott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> : news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> : > Mladen Gogala wrote:
> : > >
> : > > Voila! Mkisofs is installed into /usr/local/bin.
> : > > Make sure that you do not burn copyrighted music to your CDs as it is
> : > > bad for your soul and for the recording industry profits.
> : >
> : > FWIW, Canadians can now legally copy copyrighted music, for their own
> : > use.  The copyright owners get reimbersed through a levy the government
> : > slapped on blank CDs, audio cassettes etc.
>
> Do the taxes apply to hard drives? You can always go over border and buy
> blank cds.

No, just stuff blank CDs and tapes.

--
Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly ignored.
To reply, replace everything to the left of "@" with "james.knott".

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Article: Insurer Considers Microsoft NT High-Risk
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:31:05 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dave Martel"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Wurzler found that system administrators working on open source systems
> tend to be better trained and stay with their employers longer than
> those at firms using Windows software, where turnover can exceed 33
> percent per year.

That paragraph, to me, was the most intriguing part of the article.  I can
personally attest to the high turnover - at my last job, we had 100%
turnover in the NT group in eighteen months.  Regionally, it was a
medium-sized employer, with about a dozen employees doing NT
administration fulltime.  The wages and benefits for our geographic region
were well above average, so that wasn't the reason they quit.

The funny thing is that when these people quit, they didn't go to another
sysadmin position.  Most of them went to tech support for various hardware
vendors, a few more went into sales, and one is a finish carpenter (his
original profession).  My guess is that they all suffered from burnout. I
know I did; I left because their work kept piling up on me, and I was just
just too damn old to be a pager-slave again.

Anyway, I thought that was a very thought-provoking statement.  I wonder
if there are any good studies on turnover in the technology fields?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 01:26:47 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, T. Max Devlin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 21 May 2001 15:45:00 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Strictly OT: The subject line should be changed to "FTL Drives", but I
>don't change subject lines much anymore.
>
>Said Charlie Ebert in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 20 May 2001
>>In article
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>GreyCloud wrote:
>>>
>>>Possibly... but in a nuclear reactor there is a phenomena known as the
>>>"Blue Light" effect.  The gov. has concluded that the blue light are
>>>photons travelling faster than the speed of light... sort of a doppler
>>>effect.
>
>"Apparently" traveling faster than the speed of light.  It really is
>impossible to do so, to a degree beyond "we don't know how to do it".
>
>>Funny thing.  The last physicist from a sub I met told me the same
>>thing.  They were particles which never slowed down below the
>>speed of light.
>
>Those were called "tachyons", and as a part of serious physics theory,
>they disappeared at least a dozen years ago.

You're both wrong; the light is from Cherenkov radiation.
The master speed of light (in vacuum) can never be overridden,
at least by current theory; however, that doesn't mean that
one can't go faster than the speed of light in local media,
such as water, plastic, or other such transparent material.

That much I know, anyway. :-)

[rest snipped]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random physics here
                    This is a .sig.

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news
Date: 29 May 2001 20:39:05 -0500

wade blazingame a écrit :

> Instead of a friendly, easy to use, self-archiving, self-threading news
> reader interface, most OSS projects use mailing lists to connect their
> community.
>
> Signing up for mailing lists is a hassle.  Getting off some of them can be
> a freakin nightmare.  Your in-box is stuffed with every message whether
> you're interested in the subject or not.  Threading is almost never
> supported as well in mail clients as it is in news readers.  If the
> mailing lists are archived at all, they're archived using terrible HTML
> interfaces that are illogically presented, painful to use and inflexible.
>
> This really discourages participation and strengthens the misperception
> that OSS packages are difficult and unapproachable.
>
> Why must it be this way?  Can someone explain this to me?

Get a webmail account at netscape and Netscape 6. Setup the newsletter on that one.
With netscape 6 you can use the messenger to read your webmail. During installing
of Netscape 6 you are given the opportunity to sign up for free EMAIL at netscape.

--
Tired of Microsoft's rebootive multitasking?
then it's time to upgrade to Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: ease and convenience
Date: 30 May 2001 01:41:32 GMT

On Tue, 29 May 2001 21:47:37 +0200,
 Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9esohj$ed3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>

>> With Windows, there is a *central* help system for all OS related things
>> that is *fully* text indexed for easy retrieval.
>
> Hi, that is not fair, Linux has one too, it's called "man"
Correct ... and good of Ayende to point that out :)

> As in, the man is after you, I'm presuming.*
Hahahah!

> Of course, people** think that they should be obsolete, they seem to think
> so for a very long time, but nothing has popped up so far  that can replace
> them.
When I first discovered manpages, back around 1993, I thought they were the
biggest pile of nonsense I had ever failed to comprehend!

Now... several years later, man pages are allI want,I even shun the info system.

Man pages are for people who already know UNIX, but need a quick, concise
list of command switches etc.

> [*] Or manual, but I like my version better.
Watch it Ayende,with your sense of humour the good side of the force will
have you .... soon!

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,sci.physics
Subject: Light waves beat radio waves?? (was Re: Linux beats Win2K (again))
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 01:47:18 GMT

Might as well add sci.physics, just for the hell of it.... :-)
They might know...

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 21 May 2001 02:21:00 -0700
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Gary Hallock wrote:
>>
>> In article
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Radio waves are not light!  Radio waves have been measured by the NBS at
>> > 88%.
>>
>> 88% of what?  The speed of light?   But what light?   Visible light?
>> Infrared?  Ultraviolet?  Does the speed of light depend on the frequency?
>> You do realize that is exactly what you are saying, don't you?
>>

>Of c.
>
>Radio waves are not the same as light waves.

I have a dumb question.  My understanding is that radio waves,
apart from the wavelength (an FM station, for example, has
a frequency of 88 to 108 Mhz, which translates into a wavelength
of (very roughly) 10 feet, or 3 m; blue light, by contrast, is
about 300 nm or so -- 7 orders of magnitude smaller), or energy,
or frequency, are more or less identical to light waves.  To suggest that
the speed of travel in vacuo is dependent on either energy, frequency,
or wavelength (take your pick; they're interdependent) is an
interesting one; the 88% might be applicable for two specific
frequencies, but not for a whole range.  For example, one might
state that a 100 Mhz signal would have 88% of the speed in vacuo
to blue light at 1E15 Hz. [*]  (I have no idea whether this is true or not!)

So, now my question: what is the relationship between
frequency/quantum energy/wavelength and wave speed in vacuo,
expressed as a formula?

I can see where speed in *NON* vacuo can vary -- think of a standard
glass prism with a white beam of light going into it, for example -- but
that's a different question.

One might also compare speed of electron conduction in, say, copper,
with the speed of light in vacuo.

What are we comparing here?  (And how does it relate to Linux? :-) )

[rest snipped]

[*] I forget the term after "tera".  The one lower than "pico" is "femto".

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random quantum here
                    This space for rent.

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone holding their breath waiting for LSB?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:53:03 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "wrinkled
shirt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> (LSB = Linux Standards Base (see www.linuxbase.org))
>
> Just curious.

It sounds good in the press, it looks great on paper, but I just have this
nagging feeling the LSB will be just as ineffective at solidifying Linux
as the Open Group has been at promoting UNIX.  Too slow to react to
changing markets and ignorant of the advance of technology.  It'll cost a
lot of money and take an extraordinary amount of time to get blessed by
the LSB as a standard, and just in time to join the ranks of all the other
mothballed legacy systems.

I've been a pessimist all my life, and I've yet to be disappointed.  Just
this one, I'd like to be wrong.  Time will tell.

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 19:21:25 -0700

Chad Myers wrote:

> "wrinkled shirt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:<3b13b4c3$0$94307$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > >
> > > Don't forget security, of which the MacOS has none.
> >
> > I don't know about that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but last
> > time I checked they didn't support VBScript files. That's better
> > security than some right there.
>
> VBScripts end up being executables which only run with as much
> or less privilege than the user.
>
> How is this different from perl scripts on Unix?
>
> -c
Unix executables have to be chmod u+x bfore anything can happen. losedos
executable files are executable by default.
--
Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

"The avalanche has started, it is
too late for the pebbles to vote"
Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 01:56:11 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> Yes, and?
>
> Win2K Pro is a workstation. If you want full server technology, then use
> Server.

He forgot to include "pay for and" before "use Server".

> There are other free NAT apps, as well as DHCP and DNS server for Win2K
> Pro. If you want all that and don't want it to act as the main server,
> then just download the stuff seperately.
>
> Jesus

You called?

Yeah, why not use a workstation product as a server.  Actually,
with  libpcap ported to Windows, you would indeed get better
service from your windows workstation "server".

Chris
--
Please enter you Microsoft Client Access Code now,
or tattle on your system administrator

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 01:56:54 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 22 May 2001 00:26:39 -0700
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Gary Hallock wrote:
>>
>> In article
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Of c.
>> >
>> > Radio waves are not the same as light waves.
>>
>> If that were true, it would be a major upset to all of physics.  Where is
>> the evidence?  What papers have been written about it.   Has there been
>> the proper peer review?
>>
>> Gary
>
>Here I go again... and may get into trouble soon too. No unclassified
>papers were written about it.  But DOD provided a classified physics
>class on the subject.
>Look at it another way... in waveguides, the EM waves act like light
>waves. The energy travels along the metallic surface of the waveguide...
>not in it.  Conversely, lower frequencies, the EM waves travel thru the
>conductor and at a slower speed.
>Peer review is not what the gov. really cares about, just results that
>work.

That's not free space, that's waveguides.  Slightly different
environment.

If one could fabricate sufficiently small waveguides (that would
be a bit tricky, as a waveguide has to be either lambda or
lambda/4 -- I forget which -- and the wavelength of blue light
is all of 300 nm; the radius of an atom is about 10 nm, if I'm
not mistaken.  (Or was it 1E-8 cm = 100 pm?  Crap, now I'm going
to have to look -- either way, it's damned tiny. :-) )

That result makes some sense; one has to be precise in
stating it, however.  Stating that "radio waves travel at 88% of
the speed of light" means nothing without the context you just gave.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random wave guide here

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 19:28:35 -0700

Burkhard W=F6lfel wrote:
> =

> > > Guffaw.  If you think NT is stable, you don't know what stable mean=
s.

> > Most Windows users think 'Stable' is where horses live ;-)
> =

> Some people let Microsoft define what's stable.
> Some people even complain to the software manufacturer, as this standar=
> crash message states. (in german it is "Bitte wenden sie sich an den
> Hersteller")
> Some people think that stable means less than one or two reboots per
> day.
> =

> Burkhard W=F6lfel
> v e r s u c h s a n s t a l t (at) g m x . de
> pubkey for this adress @ pgp.net

Sounds very stable by losedos standards.  7:24pm up 44 days, 2:51, 3
users, load average: 0.06, 0.04, 0.00  for my desktop. the server is over=

140 days now.  My uptimes would be remarkable in the losedos world. They
are hardly worth mentioning here.
-- =