From: flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 20:43:33 GMT

On 8 Jun 2001 20:21:17 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

>flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>heineken?
>
>> Too sweet and gives a nasty headache if I drink too much, especially
>> if it's a hot summer day.
>
>> Becks is ok.
>
>> I like Samuel Adams, or Michelob Lite.
>
>Ah, the absolute worst of the absolute worst.  I'm not surprised.

Ok, so what is on *your* A-list of recommendations ?

The worst would be Meister-Brau BTW :)

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 25% of computer users have physically attacked their computer
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:55:59 -0600

Too funny to bury in the earlier subthread on user mistakes:

<http://www.novatech.co.uk/NOVATECH/SurveyOutcome.html>

"We were surprised by the number of people who confessed to physically
attacking their computers - 25 per cent. But looking at some of the
answers, it's clear that in many cases people were actually frustrated
at their own lack of know-how."

"Hopefully as technology improves and computers become ever more
user-friendly, these attacks will become less frequent!"

[Too bad they didn't break it down by OS. I wonder whether Windows or
Linux machines gets attacked more often? <g>]

A piece of advice from one respondent: "Always remember to put the PC
case back together, that means that when you kick it out of
frustration as it refuses to come to life, your foot won't go through
the motherboard in the process."

They also have a brief list of what I call stupid user tricks. My
favorite: The novice employee who arrived for her first day at work in
a huge office and ran into trouble with her computer. After an hour, a
passing IT worker asked her what was wrong and she snapped: "Well I
pressed the f1 button marked 'help' ages ago but nobody came."

------------------------------

From: cjt & trefoil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: Linux on Itanium
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:16:45 -0500

Mike wrote:

> "Kenny Chaffin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > This could _really_ be the beginning of the end for Microsoft...
> >

> I'd like to follow up by predicting the end of Cobol. Yes! Really!
>
> Well, okay, I've been predicting that every year since... well, since before
> many of you were old enough to play video games... (oh hell, I've been
> saying it since _before_ video games) and it's going to come true one of
> these years... Just to be safe, though, I'm keeping all my old Cobol books
> for when the Y2038 bug strikes...
>
> What else can we predict the end of?
>
>    Cobol
>    Apple (as Ayende pointed out)
>    Amiga
>    comp.sys.amiga
>    8088 compatibility in x86 processors
>    ftp
>    archie and veronica
>    WordStar
>    Corel

MultiPlan
Microsoft Chart
Dancing Paper Clips
Microsoft Bob
MSNBC
FoxPro

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:19:26 -0400

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Jim Polaski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > http://public.wsj.com/sn/y/SB991862595554629527.html
> >
> > Now if I'm the owner of a website and someone using M$ software comes
> > along and alters my site, I should think my lawyer is going to be
> > contacting someone about what unauthorized actions they have done. I
> > want to think I' see a legal issue here.
>
> If you consider that HTLM is a very weak page layout format to begin with,
> you will realize that no two web browsers ever display a page exactly the
> same, thus *EVERY* web browser alters it to some extent.  It's possible for
> your page to be included in other pages via frames and many other things.
>
> This is the nature of the net.  It's also not all that different from
> Netscapes "What's related" function.  The only difference is that the smart
> tags appear inline (it doesn't change your actual page, just provides a way
> to hover over words and get more information).

It provides a way for links to be followed from a page that were not
intended to be there. If I write a page, I dont want m$ changing it.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 16:15:31 -0500

"Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > "Jim Polaski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Now if I'm the owner of a website and someone using M$ software comes
> > > along and alters my site, I should think my lawyer is going to be
> > > contacting someone about what unauthorized actions they have done. I
> > > want to think I' see a legal issue here.
> >
> > If you consider that HTLM is a very weak page layout format to begin
with,
> > you will realize that no two web browsers ever display a page exactly
the
> > same, thus *EVERY* web browser alters it to some extent.  It's possible
for
> > your page to be included in other pages via frames and many other
things.

> > This is the nature of the net.  It's also not all that different from
> > Netscapes "What's related" function.  The only difference is that the
smart
> > tags appear inline (it doesn't change your actual page, just provides a
way
> > to hover over words and get more information).
>
> It provides a way for links to be followed from a page that were not
> intended to be there. If I write a page, I dont want m$ changing it.

And how is that any different from the links available based on a page from
the Netscape "What's related" feature?

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win2k better than other MS OSes, but worse than Unix - report
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 23:22:19 +0200

http://www.gigaweb.com/marketing/home1.asp?q1=windows+2000+professional&c3=@ModifyDate&q3=+&q4=Marketing%2CEvents&c4=@Collection&sh=0&rn=1&mh=10&sd=ModifyDate&inc=bool&intKSQueryClassID=&intKSalonID=&urlContent=&intGContextID=25&salonsearch=false&st=quick&topicSearch=no

> 'And though Windows 2000 Server closed the reliability gap with all
>  versions of Novell, Inc.?s NetWare, the latest Microsoft Corp. server
>  operating system is still not as reliable as Unix. According to the
>  respondents; Windows 2000 requires 300 percent more unnecessary reboots
>  than Unix.'

Exactly what i, as a user of Windows 2000, have been claiming for very long
time.
Its actually a joke that some of the people surveyed regard W2K as a
realliable OS and compare how much more stable than Win95 it is.  "83 %
more reliable than Windows 95", "64% more reliable than NT".... This is a
JOKE... how can this OS even compare to ZX81 OS? :-)

Cheers

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any lICQ users here?
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 23:23:33 +0200

Richard Thrippleton wrote:

> If so, questions need answering. Is it just a problem with my
> version, or have the protocols on WinICQ clients been changing recently?
> Recently, I've been unable to send messages directly to more and more
> Windows users. Some ICQ servers kick me off saying invalid protocol
> number, and file transfers to me result in errors in the log about 'TCP v6
> encryption'. What the f*ck are AOL playing at?

Works very well with LICQ - or at least ICQ worked fine yesterday.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:32:46 -0400

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>man is
>nor

> >> Oh and by the way, how exactly were you defending my constitutional freedom
> >> in saudi arabia?
>
> > Simple.
>
> > Freedom to conduct business without your fuel prices being subjected to gouging
> > by a Moscow-created Hitler-style dictator.
>
> Instead theyre subjected to gouging by a US created hitler style OPEC.

Actually, they cut back production at the request of committed Marxist, Bill Clinton.

> Your brain doesnt work, aaron.
>
> Also, I use natural gas, mined right here in the united states.  Nothing I use
> utilizes oil or its residuals in any way.
>
> -----.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:34:07 -0400

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>man is
>nor

> >> Yes it is.  And you are irretrievably stupid for not understanding it.
>
> > Wrong.  Any soldier who dies is a FAILURE.
>
> Yeah?  You wanna come with me to Rolling Thunder next time?  I'll be the one in the
> leather pants and the "fuck you" shirt standing at the point of the vietnam war
> memorial.
>
> Say it again, there.  Dont forget to say it loudly.  I'll bring a bullhorn if you
> need some help.
>

> >> You couldnt have been an officer in your imaginary tour during the "gulf war".
>
> > Decorated 6 times in theater.
>
> Not an officer.  Officers generally have a clue about whats "really" going on.  And
> I know, because my family is full of them.

ONE of my many duties was to brief visiting flag officers (1-star and higher)
about what was going on in-theater....viz a viz my unit's activities.

> -----.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:35:04 -0400

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> He wont answer you.  Or if he does, hell tell you to go look them up yourself.
> >>
> >> Then when you dont find ANY evidence to support his wild, paranoid, delusional,
> >> insane claims, he will tell you that its because you didnt look hard enough.
>
> > Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
>
> I see you dont actually have any evidence.
>
> Its too bad you arent actually a soldier (and never were)---you are an army
> officer's wet dream.  Brain turned off, reaction turned on, ready to believe
> anything they spoonfeed you.

Actually, for a while, I used to spoon-feed Generals at the Theater Commander's
briefings.

> -----.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:36:01 -0400

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> You are asking me to document your twisted, entirely incorrect definition of
> >> right wing, conservative bigot.
>
> > Wrong.  EVERY right wing regime has been....one based on fascist principles.
>
> > Fascism is a form of socialism, which is distinct from Communism (which is
> > another form of socialism).
>
> Yet another thing that aaron knows exactly nothing about---historical
> chronology.

Your research is deficient.

> > Now, quit being an ignorant retard, and accusing free-market people of
> > supporting socialism.
>
> I never said that, you complete moron.  I didnt even *imply* it.

You said I'm right wing.

Right wing ideology is a form of socialism

QED, shit-head.

> >> NO IT DOES NOT.  You live in a consequenceless dreamworld, you closetted
> >> faggot.
>
> > I thought you liked fags.
>
> > Now you're calling me one as an insult.
>
> > Got contradiction?
>
> Got a brain?  It was a layered insult, calculated to strike exactly in your
> soft, faggoty nutsack.
>
> And apparantly it did, brainless as you are.
>
> -----.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 21:35:39 GMT

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:36:39 -0500, Chad Myers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On 7 Jun 2001 23:02:03 -0500, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > Can you embed a spreadsheet application within a word processing document
> > > all within a slide show presentation?
> >
> > You can.  Would you like to play again?
>
> Can you open any Windows logo compliant application and embed a StarOffice
> wordprocessing document in it?

I don't know.  Do you?

--
 -| Bob Hauck