From: JamesW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:12:05 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> I know of NO computers that have a DVD and CDRW installed.  EVER.  I
> have browsed stores, sites, and catalogues, and have never ONCE seen a
> computer offered with both.  Typically, it is an either/or decision,
> though occasionally only one alternative is available.

Apple PowerMac G4 733 - DVD-R / CD-RW combo
Compaq Pressario 7000 - DVD-R / CD-RW combo

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:43:39 +0200

T. Max Devlin wrote:

> Said Peter Köhlmann in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 11 Jun 2001
>>T. Max Devlin wrote:
>>
>>> Said Peter Köhlmann in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 10 Jun 2001

>>Note that you wrote "if the GUI "crashes", that means the GDI crashed".
>>
>>You did not write "it could be the GDI that crashed".
>
> You seem incapable of understanding the point that it truly does not
> matter.

You seem to be incapable of understanding that *you* answered to a correct
statement of Stuart Fox with your *incorrect* version that GDI is the GUI.
It is *not* so, and it *does* matter.
You are wrong. And I´ve got the destinctive feeling that you are just
BShitting here because you know that quite well and wont admit it.

Peter

--
Your depth of comprehension may tend to make you lax in worldly ways

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:26:32 +0100

>> But seriously, how do you define a "real" array.  AFAICT the only
>> things C arrays do not do that other languages do is bounds checking.
>
> Don't underestimate bound checkings. That is the #1 reason for software
> failure these days. Beside, real arrays gives you size as well as just
> bound checkings. Yes, C has it with sizeof for static arrays, but static
> arrays are *boring*. Beside, as you noted, it handling of multi
> dimentional arrays isn't very good.

I still don't follow why C doesn't have arrays. All I can tell is that it
doens't have arrays with bounds checking. About multidimensional arrays:
it's not quite what I said. The built in method for dealing with
multidimensional arrays is a bit bodjed, but you can use an alternative
method that even uses the same syntax to access arrays that works
perfectly well.

>> You can even have arrays with negative subscripts if you feel like it.
>
> Yuck! I remember once seeing someone present me an Ada style array class
> in C++.
>
> IIRC, it went like this:

<snip>

> I'm sure you can understand why this sucks, but it's certainly efficent.

Seems like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut:

int * foo  = (int*)malloc(10*sizeof(int)) - 10;

>> int bar[10][10]
>>
>> This is defined as an array of arrays (note, bar is not of type int**).
>
> I think it's of type int*** (yeah, sucks). I once got to five levels of
> pointers, but those are really rare.

I'm sure its not. Arrays are a seperate type from pointers. If you read
the backof K&R it says that functions can't return arrays, for instance.
the difference, however is so small that you'd almost never know it was
there

>> This is allocated as a contiguous block of memory. With this type of
>> array, all but the last subscript size has to be passed to any function
>> using the array.
>
> Yes, it caught me off guard once. Does it *do* anything with the
> subscript size, BTW?

Yes. It needs the size to calculate the position on the array.

int array[5][n]

The arrays are subscripted using the following formula: (assume array
will double as an int* for the moment)

array[a][b]

roughly goes as:

*array(5*a + b)

This needs the size of the array to be known before hand. OK, so there
isn't a seperate case for 2D arrays by the 2 different methods, and the
above method actually uses the same method as below, but the above
method uses a wierd type (an array which is _not_ a pointer) to make the
method below work like the method above.

Using the other method, ie an array of pointers, the accessing goes like
this:

*(*(array + a) + b)

Ad you can see, the size of the array does not need to be known before
hand in any way.

> The nice thing is that you can define it like this, and have the
> functions takes int***
>
>> Basically, it is a horrible, nasty piece of syntax and I always avoid
>> these arrays at all costs because they do not allow for dynamic memory
>> allocation.
>
> Indeed, C really need this:
>
> int* i,j,x; //all are of type int *, not just i.

Heh! I've been caught out by that rather a lot. It's a little
unintuitive. I always put the * next to the variable now, because it
makes more sense to me, ie the variable, not the type has the *
assosciated with it.

>> One of my favourite types of array are associative arrays. This is one
>> reason i really like AWK. It is like C with some really neat features.
>
> You mean surname["ayende"] = "rahien"; ? I know that C++ has it, I
> believe it's std::set, or something like it.

Yep, that's exactly it. It is a wonderful feature for some things.

>> I don't know VB but I know it is descended from QuickBasic (which I
>> used to program in a lot). In QB, you could define arrays to start and
>> end at pretty much arbitrary points if you wished.
>>
>> <checks> (gotta love DOSEmu)
>>
>> the syntax is
>>
>> DIM foo(-10 to 50)
>
> VB require all arrays to be 0 based. Which is *really* stupid. Because
> Dim foo[N] will NOT define an 0 .. N-1 array, like most other language,
> nor it define 1 .. N, like it would be *logical* to do (avoid 0 based
> problems). It define an N+1 array, 0 .. N Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Is't to make it usable by people who expect either 0 or 1 indxed arrays
hilst allowing those people the ability to not have to bother to worry
about which it is :-)

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:27:25 +0100

In article <9g3ahi$ik9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Brian Langenberger"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> <snip!>
>
> :>C is certainly not easier, C is one of the hardest languages in
> existance.
> :>It's popular, I'll give you that, but it's not easy.
>
> : Hard? Are you joking? It's one of the easiest languages there is.
>
> C is a very small language; smaller than most languages that preceeded
> it, and most that have come after it.  By virtue of being small, its
> compilers are easy to port and it takes very little time to learn its
> basics.  But since it is so small, C also requires a great deal of
> programmer effort to get the program from point X to point Y. So, one
> could say that C is both hard and easy at the same time, for different
> reasons.
>
> I like C, but not for everything.

Very well put. I entirely agree.

-ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More funny stuff.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:31:32 +0100

In article <9g3146$j41$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
<don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9g2o7n$5oq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>

>> But *this* is rich, *really* rich.
>

> This is even more.
>
> At my previous job, we were porting a UNIX system to Windows NT using
> Microsoft VC++. A colleague of mine, that was in the process of porting
> his portion of the code, came to me, looking really upset.
>

>   a.. Colleague: "Hey! I hate these Microsoft guys! What a rotten
>   compiler!
> It only accepts 16,384 local variables in a function!"

That is one of my favourite!

16384 local variables? What in hells name was he doing, I wonder.

-Ed

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:31:06 +0200

GreyCloud wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>David Brown wrote:
>>
>> Todd wrote in message <9fttp8$i7k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>> >(hehe), we invented the light bulb, transistor, microprocessor, we
started
>> >the Internet, and a whole bunch more.
>> >

>> Of course, the light bulb was originally Scottish, most of the practical
>> work on the foundations of computing was done in Britain (with a number
of
>> prominent Dutch theorists as well), the web was Swiss, and a whole bunch
>> more.
>>
>> Where would you be without your TV and your Cola, your antibiotics and
your
>> steam engine?  All are Scottish inventions, but I could hardly claim that
>> Scotland is a "better" country than the US because of it.  Nor could I
claim
>> it as a personal achievement, as you seem to.
>
>Keep dreaming.... without Tesla none of these electronic marvels would
>have happened.

What do you mean by that?  I am not saying "my country's inventors were
better than your country's inventors", you know.  Tesla was a great inventor
and made a number of major contributions, as did many other Americans and
non-Americans who moved to the US.  My point is merely how silly it is to
claim the US is so great, since its past citizens have invented lots of
useful things - other countries (even small ones like Scotland) can produce
lists of equally essential inventions.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:32:43 +0100

> OMG this is so funny. I can see why so many people *need* Windows.

Execpt that for really inept people, Windosw does not halp in any way.
they remain just as clueless.

-Ed

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:34:24 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "macman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <9g276l$btn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >  "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> saw

> > > It's not just another color for a hyper link.
> > > It's a totally different mecanism.
> > > You *can't* get confused between them.
> > > http://www10.ewebcity.com/ayende/SmartTags.png
> > > Here is a screen shot.
> > > news:9fua39$1ek$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > So what if you can't get confused?
> >
> > I'll add my own hyperlinks, thank you. I don't need or want Microsoft to
> > do it to my web pages -- no matter what color they make them.
>
> To be quite frank, there is little you can do about it.
>
> If I want to create a web browser that replaces all instances of macman with
> moron, I can do so, and there is no legal leg for you to stand on.

I once found a web site while I was using IE 5.0 and that site refused
to serve me up the web page.  A message followed that said they don't
serve to the IE kind only Netscape.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:36:41 -0700

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > >How about PDF?
> >
> > PDF? Hardly the sort of thing suitable for a web site.
>
> Lots of webs sites do use them, and quite
> successfully. What's the problem with them?
>
> They do provide the control that HTML patently
> does not.

I agree.  I used the PDFs provided by the IRS and found it quite nice
and was able to quickly print several copies from that PDF once I
finished filling in the forms.

Works fine last long time.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:40:17 -0700

Jon Johansan wrote:

> "Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:7FSU6.761$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <%4uU6.12535$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >You mean like Nasdaq? They're running Microsoft and I haven't heard a
> peep
> > >from them about any crashes.
> > >
> > >Well, I guess there goes your theory. Perhaps NYSE should look at NASDAQ
> > >and see what they're doing.
> >
> > Contrary to MS marketing hype, the role of Win2K is non-critical front-end
> > stuff like the web site.
> >

> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nasdaq+win2k+rockville&btnG=Search&meta=si
> te%3Dgroups
> >

> Given that your source is a single post from "alt.destroy.microsoft" - you
> don't think that it's FULL OF SHIT?
>
> It is. NASDAQ continues what they started in July of 2000 - converting to
> W2K on the floor, web AND the back server room. You can try to deny it but
> it's true.

Gee... now that must explain why the NASDAQ is falling thru the floor
then.
:-)

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:42:33 +0100

> Hahaha, honestly I feel so sorry for the English re internet access, not
> that its a lot different here in Australia :(

<begin rant>

I don't know why the hell BT didn't get everyone on to ISDN?

OK, I know ISDN isn't that great, but it's a hell of a lot better than a
modem, especially since the connection seed is much more consistent.

It isn't as if the entire bloody phone network runs at 64 kb per second
anyway. All ISDN does is skip the A/D converters in the RCU (remote
concentrator units). Esentially what everyone has to do is send an
analogue signal down a line that then then gets didgtised at the speed
ISDN runs at anyway.

But for some reason, they claimed ISDN was something `special' and
charded a bloody fortune if you waned to use it.

Fools.

-Ed

Note, the entire network is a plesiochronus network that gives a like at
64kb/s (fixed for the duration of the call) between any two RCUs. The
RCU's then digitize or anaolgueize the data and chuck it down a twisted
pair ot the telephone.

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Arabs and Palestinians    Was: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:40:22 +0200

"Chris Street" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:08:58 +0200, "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

> Sounds like you mean the West Bank. As I recall in the late Eighties,
> the late King of Jordan actually gave the relevant chunk of land to
> Yassar Arafat as a gift to the Palestinians.

Probably, it has a similar name in Hebrew. I wonder who owns the east bank.
And what banks are they.

Remind me of a song:
"Two banks to the Jordan,
This is ours and the other as well..."
You could literally freak some people out if you sung this near them. Worse
than having a RMS vs Mondie argument.

I don't think that I've heard about this giving to the palestinians,
wouldn't surprise me though, it's fits right in with

> Sadly however the Israelis had been occupying it since 1967 when they
> invaded it and they are a little reluctant about giving it back......

LOL!
Oh man, this is just hilarious.

Intersting piece of statistic, before we tried to have peace, we have
roughly 15 dead people a year from terrorist actions, last 8 months, over
150 dead people from terrorist actions.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:43:36 +0200

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9g4k1d$97e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9g3146$j41$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"

> >   a.. Colleague: "Hey! I hate these Microsoft guys! What a rotten
> >   compiler!
> > It only accepts 16,384 local variables in a function!"
>
> That is one of my favourite!
>
> 16384 local variables? What in hells name was he doing, I wonder.

I don't know and I'm afraid to ask.
I can't think of a single good reason why you would need so many local
variables. The reason for functions is to *break* the program to little
pieces, if you need many local variables, you aren't breaking it to little
enough pieces.
I mean, the human brain can only hold 7 or so items at one time, and
programmers has to juggle enough in their brain as it is.

Well, I *can* think of *one* situation where you would need so many
variables, if you wanted to handle large amounts of data and wasn't aware of
arrays ;-D

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:44:02 -0700

Jon Johansan wrote:

> "Dennis G. Allard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:<84aU6.9834$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > >
> > > Well, their web site runs under AIX, so one would assume that they're
> > > probably a big IBM shop, and are probably running trades under AIX
> and/or
> > > OS/390.
> >
> > If they were running anything Microsoft, they would have crashes so much
> > more often it would make this little down time look like a holiday!
>
> You might want to consider that the NASDAQ runs MS for 90% of their
> operation and has had 0. That's zero MS related downtime since their
> adopting NT. They continue to convert their backend operations to W2K but
> are not completed. This is not an operation you take lightly or race ahead
> quickly but they are doing it. Converting from archiac Unix mainframes to
> W2K servers.

That all depends on what you mean by "archaic".  Do you mean the old
hardware boxes or the o/s?  From my viewpoint I consider Win2k a kludge
compared to unix.  Some consider unix to be very old and win2k as a
modern o/s... I kept checking into many reviews from different sources
on Win2k and find it is more of a kludge... can't call that modern.
At least Unix is structured and has some good reasons for its design.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:45:07 -0700

Jon Johansan wrote:

> "spam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 18:47:39 GMT, "Chad Myers"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > >"Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> unfortunately, runs

> isn't
> > >
> > >About a year ago it was still Unisys. Last year they announced they were
> > >moving to Win2K Datacenter. I'm not sure if they actually did it, or if
> > >it's complete yet or not, but I would imagine we would've heard about it
> > >if it went south.
> > >

> > Do you have a link to this announcement? I can't find it anywhere
> > using google and altavista or at MS's or Nasdaq's web sites. I'm sure
> > MS PR would trumpet this loudly if the exchange moved to datacenter.
>
> Wait for it - it's not done. When it's done you can be certain there will be
> trumpets blaring...
>
> What's worth more: "NASDAQ is trying to convert to datacenter" - yea,
> imagine that on /.
> Versus: "NASDAQ switches to datacenter, saves money, improves performance."

When they are finished converting I'm going to put all my money in a
mattress.
Watch for the Stockmarket Crash of 2002!

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:46:15 -0700

Chad Myers wrote:

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Chad Myers wrote:
> > >
> > > "Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > unfortunately, runs

> isn't

> were
> if
> it

> > > Well, I don't know about your "losedos", but Unisys seems to be
> > > convinced that Win2K Datacenter is where their company needs to be.
> > > http://www.gartner.com/webletter/microsoft/article4/article4.html
> > >
> > > Abbey National decided to give their old mainframes the boot:
> > >
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/datacenter/evaluation/casestudies/abbey.asp
> > >
> > > Financial services? Unix won't cut it here.
> > >
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/datacenter/evaluation/casestudies/ragnarok.
> > > asp
> > >

> > I highly doubt that... as UNIX and Apache are primarily the predominant
> > O/S and webserver software out there.
>
> Not in business, which is what we're talking about. NT/2K/IIS and
> Solaris/IPlanet
> are the predominant OS/Web server software. Apache holds <20% share in the
> Global 1000 market.
>
> > You need big iron for heavy volume trading.
> > So far that is all that is running,... BIG IRON.
>
> ES7000.
>
> -c

Go over to comp.os.vms and say that chad my lad.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:47:10 -0700

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:3b24fa1e$0$94311$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
> > > You need big iron for heavy volume trading.
> > > So far that is all that is running,... BIG IRON.
> >
> > ES7000.
>
> Well, it's certainly big, but I think it's mainly made of silicon :-D

(Lets hide out by the dumpsters when they junk those mainframes...
there's gold in them thar boxes!)