Linux-Advocacy Digest #166, Volume #35           Tue, 12 Jun 01 18:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: Windows makes good coasters (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (GreyCloud)
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? ("Joseph T. Adams")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Quantum Leaper")
  Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Quantum Leaper")
  Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job? ("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (GreyCloud)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (GreyCloud)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux      (GreyCloud)
  Re: IBM Goes Gay ("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Quantum Leaper")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux      (GreyCloud)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux         (GreyCloud)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals ("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: Windows makes good coasters (Peter Hayes)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (Nigel Feltham)

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance...
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:01:15 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:24:14 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:

>> >Brutality and genocide in your own neighborhood and you never once tried
>> >to do a damn thing about it.
>>
>> Actually, we have.
>
>Mmmm 'kay, right. Remember Kosovo? The US had to fucking go in there and
>put a stop to the killing... most Europeans were too busy hiding in
>their houses and counting their money (although some actually gave a
>fuck). Europeans were also against the idea of letting the Bosnians
>defend themselves (they wouldn't let them import arms), but, as usual,
>were more than content to let innocent people be slaughtered.

Wow, you really know absolutely NOTHING about the Balkan situation.
Mind you, I don't expect an American to know anything outside his own
country.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:01:16 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:30:38 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Rotten168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > Please explain.
>>
>> Drugs, alcohol, sex; things are MUCH more libertarian (freedom) in
>> Denmark than in the US. It's all about personal responsibility.
>
>And pedophilia.

Well, if that's the best you can come up with, you may as well not
bother posting at all.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:01:17 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:31:44 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Rotten168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > Canada, Ireland, France, Germany, Spain, Holland, Denmark, Belgium,
>> > Italy, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Mexico, Poland...
>>
>> Ireland - abortion is illegal
>
>So they don't kill their own young. Sounds much more enlightened than
>the U.S. or Europe.

No, it seems more backwards and fucked up than the US or Europe.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:01:18 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:46:32 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:3b2637f3$0$94309$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> 32MB of RAM was fairly standard then, wasn't it? I remember I had a 200mhz
>> with 128MB and that was pretty high end (about how 256MB of RAM is seen
>> today, since most comps ship with 64 or 128MB these days).
>>
>> 16MB seems a little low, even for then.
>
>There's a few very low end computers in there with 16mb of RAM most are
>equipped with 32 or 64. Not a single computer has a 1gb HD though, even on
>the 133's.
>
>I think he should have gone down to the main library microfisch department
>before making spec claims that don't live in the same time zone.

Look, I think I know what's in my own computer.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:01:19 +0100

On 12 Jun 2001 13:42:04 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> >Since Windows 95, I have *once* had to download new video drivers for a
>> >particular video card I've owned (ATI Rage for Windows NT 4) and *those*
>> >were included with Service Pack 4.
>> >
>> >With *every* version of Windows since, the drivers were either included
>with
>> >the OS, or included with the hardware.
>>
>> Yeah, but if you've lost your disk...
>
>Download them? DOH

What if the modem drivers were on the same disk!

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:01:20 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:32:03 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("S.T. Pickrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:
>
>> That part that they're equally transferrable through homosexual and
>> heterosexual sex.
>
>In Africa and Asia you're certainly right.
>
>In North America, it seems more homosexuals get it. Whether the
>gap will close or not is another issue.

Do they? Have you got any EVIDENCE? No, you haven't. So fuck off until
you have.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:59:07 -0700

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <3b2612aa$0$94313$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Myers"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > It's not quite the same. You don't have rabid moronic Windows guerillas
> > > who set up web sites to flame Linux....<rest snipped for comic effect>
> >
> > Oh no?
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/NTServer/nts/news/msnw/LinuxMyths.asp
>
> Exactly what I'm talking about. Penguinistas are so far removed
> with the truth, that when smacked by it, they think it's flaming.
>
> -c

I wish your comments were true... but you see any corporation will
protects it own and it's only natural to do so.  Currently, Calderas
offering now enables 64 cpu smp(sp?) due to their purchase of SCO UNIX.
The landscape keeps changing so what was yesterday a fact is not a fact
today.  You can say it is not flaming but I say it borders on it.  Why
should MS waste web space talking about Linux Myths?

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: 12 Jun 2001 21:01:12 GMT

mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: You should grow up. You write software to do something. Most of the time you
: want it to sell, or succeed.

It has to be first to market or it is VERY unlikely to succeed, no
matter how much "better" you might think it is.

Using a combination of higher- and lower-level languages, each where
appropriate, you will get to market much faster without sacrificing
performance.

Joe

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:04:45 GMT

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> drsquare wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:40:47 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine))
> > wrote:
> >
> > >In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare

> > >Let me count the ways.  Some of these are of course ancient, but...
> > >
> > >[1] Tamed the West -- an internal matter, to be sure, but quite
> > >    an accomplishment given the primitive technology at the time.
> >
> > What? Are you referring to how you went round driving people out of
> > their homes, and skinning them alive etc?
> >
> > >[2] Helped defeat the Nazis *and* the Japanese, more or less
simultaneously.

> > Yeah, you sent a couple of men over to Europe after the Nazis were on
> > their last legs, and then wiped out hundreds of thousands of innocent
> > women and children in Japan. Now THERE'S something to be proud of.
> >
> > >[3] One of the highest GDP/capita in the world.
> >
> > Which about 10% of your population benefit from.
> >
> > >[4] First man on the moon.
> >
> > Wow, you spend billions of tax payers money on taking someone to a
> > large piece of rock, acheiving what? Meanwhile, children are starving
> > to death across the world...
>
> Now we are supposed to feed them too?  Why don't the Dutch do it?

The world thinks the USA should feed the poor and  protect them but most of
them don't want to lift a finger to help,  since it not their problem.  It
true the USA has been on the wrong side of things sometimes but hind sight
is always 20/20.  Alot of those 'wrong' sides were trying to fight the
Commies,  when the 'wrong' side is the lesser of two evils.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:06:19 GMT

In comp.os.linux The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> More likely it's a combination of factors.  The Windows system is
> adequate for desktop use, and is rich in functionality -- when it
> isn't crashing.  By contrast, Linux is excellent for server use,
> and is also rich in functionality -- but the two aren't compatible,
> which cases some problems in a mixed shop.  (However, things like
> Samba help.)

> How much does desktop reliability factor into theoretical language
> research and/or compiler design?  Not a heck of a lot, I'd say.
> Although it doesn't help when the computer BSODs right when you're
> about to put the finishing touches of a project.  But many Windows
> tools have autosave -- a bodge to get around a problem -- and
> therefore this isn't quite as damaging as it could be.

> Then again -- there are those with horror stories of losing half
> a day's work, and I for one have been lucky.  So who am I to say?

clearly you are not a seasoned unix user, otherwise you will utter
otherwise. Unix with tools like bash,perl,apache, grep and syslog
is far more powerful than windows. It encourages personalism,
in way things are done. You are given as many options as it is
possible, thus allowing for flexible environment.

Windows on other hand is great for games, limited text composition
and some image manipulation. Macs are far better at last two,
so leaves Windows as a game platfrom with most games written for.

So Dennis is an avid gamer, eh?
;-)

--
              "They that give up essential liberty to
          obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:07:25 GMT

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:09:52 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>Typical American attitude. Let the children starve to death whilst we
> >>send pieces of metal into space for fun.
> >
> >Typical Dutch attitude.  Blame someone else for all the world's
> >problems.
>
> How is starvation a Dutch problem?

Starvation is EVERONES problem,  you can tell just one country to fix the
worlds problem,  it doesn't work.  We all have to fix the problem,  atleast
the USA is trying unlike some people,  it seems....

> >Sounds like a severe case of jealously, to me.  (Gee, I wonder if
> >he'll deny it.)
>
> Yes, I'm jealous that I don't hoard up food and resources whilst
> children starve to death.

I don't see you helping,  the USA can only do so much and yes the USA does
aid in feed the hungry around the world,  be we can't be everywhere....

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:05:34 +1200

Do you remember the Amiga? That too was a great system, esp. programming
with AMOS and AmigaBASIC.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the blue screen of death
nobody hears your scream's

news:9g5cec$pfn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:06:26 -0700

Daniel Johnson wrote:

<snip>

> Well, MS development tools are not bastions of perfection;
> by releasing crud like MFC and a C++ compiler that is
> so weak, they have left some opportunities for other
> vendors.
>
> Personally, I don't think they meant to do that. :D

You are quite right on this one.  I'm still waiting for some big bugs in
VC6.0 to be fixed.  Maybe I'll move over to Metrowerks stuff instead.
If I could afford it I'd buy Sun Forte C/C++ set.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:09:55 -0700

drsquare wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:07:28 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> Please explain.
> >
> >Drugs, alcohol, sex; things are MUCH more libertarian (freedom) in
> >Denmark than in the US. It's all about personal responsibility.
>
> The US will never have personal freedom whilst their people are still
> continuosly brainwashed by Christian ideology.

That's starting to change slowly.  The christians over here are now
bellyaching about being persecuted.  One church was confiscated for not
paying their employees taxes.
Most christians are now calling the new age movement the devils work.

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:08:51 +1200

"Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3b265ebd$0$2648$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> lesse... $1000 for hard copy of Encyclopedia that is never updated and
> contains no "live" data or links.
> $damn-near-free for CD ROM Encyclopedia that is live and can be updated
and
> contains more diverse types of information?
>
> there is a decision to be made here?

For date specific items, yes, however, in most cases, this information (that
is date sensitive), or is being constantly reviewed, can easily be obtained
via the net.  Question is, will the Russian Revolution ever change? no.  So,
on historical events, books are great, however, the cutting edge information
needs to be updated and reviewed regularly, hence, the net is the best
option.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the blue screen of death
nobody hears your scream's

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:11:51 -0700

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > The first thing that Americans are proud of is their proper use of the
> > word 'there'.  The second thing that we Americans are proud of is both
>
> Spelling flames are the lowest form of flame.
>
> > our level of education and the fact that we pay for our own education.
>
> Is that something to be proud of? I don't see how either way.
>
> > Americans learn a sense of  accomplishment and independence at an early
> > age.
>
> Through their parents paying for education? How does that teach
> independence?
>

> > Unlike your country, we Americans do not feel the need to have our
> > government take the majority of our income and then dole it back out to
> > us as seen fit.
>
> maximum of 40% is not a majority.
>
> > Most all medical programs in Eurpoe are a complete disaster.   The NHS
> > in the UK should be disbanded immediately.
>
> Well, I'm glad you don't live here, because I do not want to see the NHS
> disappearing any time. I think it is a quite amazing service and
> something we should be proud of.
>

> > Nowhere in the world does an individual have a greater chance of success
> > building a small business than in the USA.  No other nation on Earth
> > puts more money into research and development than the USA.
>
> Do you have any evidence to back this up, or are you just spouting?
>
> > Without the USA, mother Russia would have gobbled up most all of Europe
> > long ago.
>
> Without mother Russia, the Nazia would have gobbled up the "land of the
> free" long ago.

Thats true.  If I recall it was in the civil war that Russia sent over a
fleet that stopped England and France from picking up the pieces.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:14:03 +1200

"Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
>
> >Hmm, yet another typical American Bigot.  No wonder shooting spree's
> >happen in the US with that sort of anti-social, bigotted belief system.
> >Maybe you, Flatfish, should buy a big cupboard and hide yourself in it
> >for ever, whilst the rest of the world moves forward without your
> >insecurities.
> >

> Sorry, I think you're in the wrong thread, the US vs Europe one is over
> there ...

Its not a Europe vs. US argument, its a reality check.  Here in New Zealand
for example, no body gives a toss if you are gay/bi/tri/uni/trans.  However,
an easy way to put it is in the words of Monty Python, at the end of "The
Meaning of Life: Scene, Death".

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the blue screen of death
nobody hears your scream's

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:17:23 GMT

"Thaddius Maximus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> drsquare wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, (The Ghost In The Machine) wrote:
> >
> > >[4] First man on the moon.
> >
> > Wow, you spend billions of tax payers money on taking someone to a
> > large piece of rock, acheiving what? Meanwhile, children are starving
> > to death across the world...
> >

> scooter, that starving is going on in your Euro backyard, along with
> some genocide but you don't seem too bothered by it.  You also never
seemed
> too bothered that your eastern euro brothers have lived for decades under
> brutal regimes while you lavished in a western europe lifestyle.
>
> Brutality and genocide in your own neighborhood and you never once tried
> to do a damn thing about it.

The problem is most of the starvation around the world is in a WARZONE.  I
guess they want the USA to grow the food,  ship the food,  distribute the
food,  protect the starving people when they come for the food.   While they
sit back in their lavish western European lifestyle.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:16:12 -0700

Thaddius Maximus wrote:

> I paid for my college education but even for those who have had their
> parents pay for their college education the point being that in either
> case a college education was accomplished independent of the government.

I was paid to study and it wasn't in the military either.  Once in a
while there are special government programs that pay people to educated
in a specific field of knowledge.  They call it an apprenticeship
program by the military but you don't answer to the military.  You
should see the long lines of college grads wanting to get into it.
Most don't make it in.  They only take on between 40 to 60 per year and
it is a four year program, and the usual number that apply are around
4,000 to 5000 per year.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:18:21 -0700

Edward Rosten wrote:

> There is nothing outrageous about the petrol tax. We use far too much
> petrol in this country. As for your low petrol tax, where has it got you,
> oh yeah, the worlds biggest polluter. Great.

I think China qualifies at number 1 right now, since just about
everything we get in the stores are marked "Made in China".
The Chinese don't have a Ralph Nader banging at their back door to clean
up.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:19:01 +1200

> >Are you trying to spurt the typical homophobic legacy, off spring, family
> >name bull shit.  How is your son being gay going to affect you? apart
from
> >getting told his new boyfriends name, what will change? he will have the
> >same personality, the same characteristics, he will still look up to you
as
> >a father.  Please, give me an insight into the mystical "father-son
bond",
> >because aparently, you have problems expressing yourself.
> >Matthew Gardiner
>
>  Actually he was quite clear. Your scenario of if I had a son
>  I wouldn't be the least bit dissapointed that he loved having guys
>  ramming there cocks up his ass like he was steve chaney and the family
>  line is dead, like steve chaney is mindless PC babble.

Don't you think the comment regarding "family line" sound very primitive and
primal?

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the blue screen of death
nobody hears your scream's

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:20:06 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 01:41:07 GMT, A.M.F. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Peter Hayes wrote:

> > But anyone who thinks PSP is even close to Gimp needs their head examined.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> I guess the old saying "One man's meat is another man's poison" (One man's
> trash is another aman's treasure) fits here.
>
> I used photoshop for years as a graphic arts designer and most definately
> think that gimp is much better, Of course if you want to spend 600 bucks
> everytime they update their product then by all means go ahead and make
> adobe rich.

Photoshop is better if you want to send stuff to a print shop because of its
performance with CMYK.

Otherwise I guess it's down to personal preferences as you say, like getting
used to gimp's slightly eccentric menuing system.

PSP isn't even in the same league, but for those who want to spend 90 quid
on a basic Wintel image manipulation package it's good value.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:35:51 -0400

> read, 'known for his personal and corporate contributions to charity and
> educational organizations.'"

Are those 'Corporate Contributions' the software which costs MS almost
nothing to produce ( how much does a pressed CD cost now) yet they claim
back the full retail value of this donated software off their tax bill.

These software donations are nothing more than an elaborate tax fiddle and
doing this in any other business would be known as fraud - e.g. if you had
a company making pencils which cost under $1 to produce yet you put a
brandname on them and get away with charging $80 each for them then give
1000 pencils to charity and claim back $80 tax rebate per pencil you would
soon find yourself in the law courts accused of fraud yet this is exactly
what MS are doing with their software.