Linux-Advocacy Digest #188, Volume #35           Wed, 13 Jun 01 10:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? ("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and    ignorance...)
("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: "Re: KDE and Gnome are totally 80s ("Donal K. Fellows")
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job? ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Tim Adams)
  Re: IBM Goes Gay (pip)
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
(Stephen Cornell)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (chrisv)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (chrisv)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (chrisv)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (chrisv)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (chrisv)
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux          (Thaddius
Maximus)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux    starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (chrisv)

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 01:01:13 +1200

Well, lets us this scenario:

You own a small company, and want to setup a database server with all the
customer records on it. Now, all people in your organisation must be able to
access it, however, due to the nature of your organisation, you have not
only IBM-Compatible PC's, but a couple of Macs, and SGI boxes for hightech
research and development.  Now, the best way to ensure that all people can
access this information is to create a Java front end to interact with the
database. Thus, giving the organisation the flexibility which will allow
them to deploy more non-pc's and generic PC's, knowing they they too, as
long as they (the OS) has a JVM, can interact with the customer database.

That is one example of how Java can be used effectively.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the blue screen of death
nobody hears your scream's

Sepo is a cockney term for yank,
however, in New Zealand and Australia
a yank is a wank, well, same thing ;)

For AOL and earthlink lusers asking stupid questions:
Seek and ye shall find
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:06:15 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "drsquare"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:39:30 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>> There are many alternatives.
>>
>>There really wasn't one.  You overlook a point that was not really
>>pushed or reported on. The Japanese were also developing a nuclear bomb.
>> So it was either them or us. Truman really didn't have a choice.
>
> If you believe that you are more naive than I at first estimated.

it is true that the Japanese had developed a bomb. However, the them or
us is bollocks because the Japanese had no air force left and hence no
delivery mecanism for the bomb.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
ignorance...)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 01:06:23 +1200

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9g7njd$9ko$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Cultured? The French/Germans/Italians are cultured, the British are no
> > more cultured than the Americans.
>
> The average levelof culture is falling rapidly, but we've got a long way
> to go to catch you guys up. Still proud to be forging a new path at the
> head of the world?

The Conservative's had a crushing defeat :) well, it definately shows that
the British public aren't about to be sucked into the "lower tax" hype
created by the Bush admin. in the US. Well, hopefully Tony Blaire's second
term will be a good one. Oh, also, what's even better, we know who won!
unlike the US election that just dragged on and on. Mind you, I never
followed it, esp. when a nation that preaches democracy doesn't practice it
when election time rolls around.

Matthew Gardiner

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:09:28 +0100

> There are a few things to remember about the nuking of Japan.  Most
> importantly, the bombing was no worse than that which the British and
> the Germans had done to each other in Europe.  The only two real
> difference was that it used a single bomb at a time rather than a fleet
> of bombers, and that it left more people with permanent injuries from
> radiation rather than just killing them.  Do you know how "fire bombing"
> worked?  That was when a fleet of bombers dropped vast numbers of
> incendery and explosive bombs over a small area.  The massive fires
> caused by this lead to searing winds at hurrican speeds, inrushes of
> oxygen that cause people well outside the bombing area to sufficate
> where they stand (or hide in bomb shelters), and a vast mushroom cloud
> forms above the bombed area, and drops thick layers of ash and rubble
> over a wide area.  Barring the lack of radiation, doesn't that remind
> you of something?  This technique was used on a number of occasions - if
> I remember rightly, Dresden was fire-bombed to greater devastation than
> Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

You seem to be implying that because the British and Germans did the same
to each other it still wasn't a horiffic thing to to. It also does not
make it any more right that either of the events happened.

-ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:13:32 +0100

In article <sVAV6.790$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Stephen S. Edwards II"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Jasper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> On 20 May 2001 13:35:11 -0500, "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> >I thought you were educated? Time to go back to class...
>> >
>> >radio waves travel slower than light...
>> >

>> How embarrissing.  Radio waves are light.
>
> *sigh*  That comment is right up there with
> "patriotism is a stupid thing".

They are light. Same stuff: electromagentic waves and/or photons.

-Ed

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Re: KDE and Gnome are totally 80s
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:02:10 +0100

Rex Ballard wrote:
[...]
> XML is a protocol.

No.  You might as well say SMTP is a programming language or Perl is
practically human-readable...  :^)

[...]
> Some of these are compiled languges like Java, others are interpreted
> languages like PYTHON or TCL (plenty fast for most modern workstations),
> and others are compile-and-run like PERL.

All three of these languages compile internally, though there are some
technical differences (that don't matter here.  :^)

Donal.
--
"Windows is a car with square wheels (architecture) and a huge engine (hype,
 etc.), capable of of making the car move despite the square wheels.  Linux

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:15:20 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Donal K. Fellows"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
>> Bacause every BASIC other than BBC basic is a steaming pile of
>> ***********.
>
> BBC BASIC is a steaming pile too.  HTH!

It's the best BASIC there is and it gets in the way least. Besides this
is a religious issue.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:18:03 +0100

> Do you remember the good old days of computers when companies took pride
> in producing the best software and hardware they could? Amiga was one of
> those pieces of hardware, and I never once had a hardware fault in the 8
> years I owned the Amiga 500 w/ 1.5MB RAM. Software was compact, fast,
> easy to use. Software Applications like Fusion Paint, Workbench 1.3.2,
> AMOS, AmigaBAIC, KindWords, Wordperfect, all of them second to none. The
> games, they were awsome, Great Giana Sisters, Bubble Bobble, Rainbow
> Islands.  No one I knew, who were newbies, never had any problems
> getting their computer up and running.

I do remember these days. Fortunatley, I am just old enough too. Also, I
remember how people were a little bit more prepared to use their head
than they are now.

Read the manual!

-What's a manual?

Er, a book that tells you how to use it...

-Oh! I thought you were talking about a computery techy thing!

<strangle>

-gakk. uuuuhr.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:18:59 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Sky King"

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:52:43 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >That's a rumor being spread by.... homosexual activists
>>
>> The same way all your rumour are spread by paranoid right-wing nuts
>> like yourself.
>>
> Except we "right wing nuts" have the stats to back us up.  Do you? sky

Such as the vast majority of AIDS is spread by hetro activity.

-Ed

--

Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
From: Tim Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:13:23 GMT

in article IIwV6.78543$[EMAIL PROTECTED],
Daniel Johnson at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 6/12/01 6:28
PM:

> "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:08:49 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>> ("Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>>
>>> "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>>
>>> Hmm? You haven't noticed all the cites
>>> with the little "get Acrobat Reader free"
>>> badges on them?
>>
>> Nope. Give me some URLs.
>
> Hmm. Well, Apple uses quite a few of them.
> Check out, for instance:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/macosx/gettingstarted/
>
> A bunch of the links on this page are to PDFs.

but the original claim was 'using PDF's to create web pages, not 'having
links to PDF files on a web page.

Now show us a link to a PDF web page.

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:34:57 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> I have recently been singing the praises of BBC Basic. Will that do?
> >
> > The Z80 was the best processor ever made.
>
> Gak!
>
> 6502 rules OK!

What are you two on about ???? There is no debate here : it was the
MC68000 (and is the processor where I tried my hand at assembly coding).
Not your 8-bit junk in a 1-bit computer.

:)

------------------------------

From: Stephen Cornell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
Date: 13 Jun 2001 14:34:09 +0100

"Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Brits were speared because Hitler changed his tactic from Britain to the
> eastern front.  Even without the US involvement, Germany would have
> collapsed anyway due to a combination of economic, social and polical
> problems. On several occasions the economic minister warned Hitler that he
> could no longer continue the war longer than 5-10 years, or else Germany
> would fall into dire financial problems. Hitler, however, believed, it would
> be a short, sharp war. The Eastern Front was the turning for the Second
> World War.

I suspect you're more up on this stuff than I, but my understanding
was that the Battle of Britain was a key moment in the war.  Had the
Luftwaffe managed to overwhelm the RAF, the Nazis would have been in a
position to invade Britain swiftly before opening up the Eastern
Front.

> I actually live in New Zealand. In the past I have lived in Australia for 3
> years, and the US for a year.  I wouldn't want to stay another year in the
> US. Its bloody expensive trying to get descent food, like REAL cheese and
> REAL milk, all having to be imported from Australia/New Zealand and Europe.

I had a similar experience in Canada.  The necessities of life are
very cheap in North America, but if you want something with flavour
then you're stuffed.  Cheap crap also abounds in the British food
market, but at least decent things are available.

By the way, can you get unpasteurised cheese in NZ?  I couldn't get
hold of it in Oz.
--
Stephen Cornell          [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Tel/fax +44-1223-336644
University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:35:36 GMT

drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:06:13 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
>>>Yeah, you sent a couple of men over to Europe after the Nazis were on
>>>their last legs, and then wiped out hundreds of thousands of innocent
>>>women and children in Japan. Now THERE'S something to be proud of.
>>
>>You see, you lose all credibility with statements like this.  It only
>>shows you to be totally ignorant of history, or that your just an
>>anti-american a-hole, or, more likely, both.
>
>Yet you neglect to refute my statements. Now YOU'RE the one losing
>credibility.

Wrong again.  Anyone can look at your summary of America's
achievements during WW2, and see what an ignorant a-hole you are.
This is not opinion, this is fact.  When you make statements as stupid
and biased as this, you lose all your credibility, sorry.

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:36:20 GMT

drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>I'd expect that kind of response from an unpatriotic
>>coward.
>
>And I'd expect that kind of response from an ignorant, nationalistsic
>fool.

Sheesh.  From the king of spouting ignorance.  Buy a book and read it,
ok?

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:38:52 GMT

drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>the USA can only do so much and yes the USA does
>>aid in feed the hungry around the world,  be we can't be everywhere....
>
>No they don't.

I don't know who you think you will convince with your obviously
anti-american attitude.  No one takes seriously the rantings of a
fanatic.

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:39:27 GMT

drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Because there was no point?

Jealousy is an ugly thing...

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:45:20 GMT

Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>drsquare wrote:
>> Yet you neglect to refute my statements. Now YOU'RE the one losing
>> credibility.
>
>Because it's like trying to reason with a rabid chipmunk.
>
>The US had a significant role in Africa in 1942 and made up the majority
>of daytime air-raids in 1943. The Nazis were still strong enough that we
>didn't attempt an invasion of Europe until 1944.

And to summarize the entire Pacific war, which the US won
single-handedly, into the dropping of the two A-bombs...  Sheesh,
what an idiot.

Buy a book and read it, dumbsquared!

>> >Try to choose your battles.  Not everything about America is bad,
>> >obviously.
>>
>> Yeah, one good thing is that it's thousands of miles away.
>
>Again, what pissant nation are you from again?

A severe case of country envy, if ever I saw one.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 01:44:16 +1200

> > I actually live in New Zealand. In the past I have lived in Australia
for 3
> > years, and the US for a year.  I wouldn't want to stay another year in
the
> > US. Its bloody expensive trying to get descent food, like REAL cheese
and
> > REAL milk, all having to be imported from Australia/New Zealand and
Europe.

> I had a similar experience in Canada.  The necessities of life are
> very cheap in North America, but if you want something with flavour
> then you're stuffed.  Cheap crap also abounds in the British food
> market, but at least decent things are available.
>
> By the way, can you get unpasteurised cheese in NZ?  I couldn't get
> hold of it in Oz.

I think you can, if you went to a shop with a good range of cheese. It is
normally located around the Deli section of the supermarket. oh, btw, we
also have unpasteurised  beer as well :) In regards to the food, did you
ever hear the CEO of Be Inc complain that the food in the US is not as nice
as it is in France?

Matthew Gardiner

From: Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:43:43 +0100

drsquare wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:13:34 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> There is nothing outrageous about the petrol tax. We use far too much
> >> petrol in this country. As for your low petrol tax, where has it got you,
> >> oh yeah, the worlds biggest polluter. Great.
> >
> >My point is proven: the majority of YOUR paycheck goes to YOUR
> >government.  In America, Americans work for themselves, not the
> >government.  The fact that the majority of your paycheck is taken
> >from you by your own government reveals a population that feels
> >themselves inadequate to solve their own problems on an individual
> >level, ie, sheep.
>
> That's all well and good, if you're within the top 10% earners.
> Otherwise you're fucked.

Where do you get this 10% figure?  I have never heard of such a
thing.  You sort of just make things up as you go along, dontcha?

> And you can hardly talk about people being
> sheep when you look at how many Americans are religious.
>
> >And yes, your petro tax IS outrageous!  It's called robbery here in
> >the states and has been known to cause historical revolutions.
>
> And cleaner air.

Sure, I get your drift... why don't we all just forsake all
technology and progress and sit in the dark for fun.

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:47:49 GMT

drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>This just gets funnier every day.

Are you trying to replace Kookis as the chief newsgroup idiot?  Don't
try.  For one, he's a lot smarter than you are.  He's not totally
ignorant of the most basic facts of history.  Maybe read some books,
go to college, then come back.

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:49:00 GMT

drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Americans do have a habit of being ignorant of historical facts.

LOL!  What irony!