From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:33:33 +0100

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Jet wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>homosexual

> > > EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT THE FUCK SEXUALITY HAS TO DO WITH T.B.?
> > > AND I WANT TO SEE A CAUSAL CORRELATION HERE.
> >
> > Let me explain something to you. Aaron is what I call a bitter boy. I
> > believe bitter boys are that way because they can't get laid. (Aaron
> > had to buy a mail order bride.)
>
> Really?  Who did I pay?
> Was it an auction, like in the old slave days?
>
> Or was she stored in a warehouse?
>
> What kind of package was she delivered in?  Were there any lavatory facilities
> inside the package, or are you alleging that the US Post Office made some woman
> sit in her own waste for several weeks?
>
> Be precise jet...because accuracy counts.
>
> >                                It also seems they tend to hate people
> > they view as getting sex when they are not, such as gay men and
> > blacks.
>
> I like SANE people.  Most black people I know are sane (unlike you).
> Gays are suicidal, which is not sane.
>

> > Look how irrational he is! He wants to make what gays do everybody's
> > business because of AIDS, but doesn't seem to care about diseases
> > spread mainly by heterosexual contact.
>
> which DEADLY, INCURABLE diseases are spread by heterosexual contact?

Well AIDS is a good start...
--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:30:52 +0100

>> It is in some ways. Print is much easier to read than a computer screen
>> due having a much higher resoulution and contrast. Also, the print
>> quailty from an expensive book is liable to be much higher than the
>> print quality you could get out of any printer you are likely to be
>> able to afford / have room for.
>>

> How right you are!  I used up four black print cartridges to print out
> the Solaris 8 System Administration Manuals.  My cost was about $150.
> Each was about 700 pages and there were three manuals.  Plus I had to
> buy the large D ring notebooks to make the pages last.  I think I'd
> rather have paid the money for the manuals.

OUCH!

For that kind of bulk printing its worth getting a heavy duty printer
like an HP4050.

Just one quesition...

How long did it take yoy to punch the holes for 2100 pages?

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:36:55 +0100

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:
> >
> > Nutshell: Personal Responsibility.
>
> And it's quite obvious that gays don't have it.
>
> That's why a mere 1% of the population constitutes more than 50% of the AIDS cases.

1%?  What fucking planet are you living on you?

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Here's a switch for a change
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:32:54 -0700

Greg Cox wrote:

> In article
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > This is off topic for this thread.... I went to ms website for the VC6.0
> > downloads...
> > I can't do it because its HUGE... 175Mb of downloads??? Over a 28.8K
> > modem line??
> >
> > Looks like I go to Metrowerks to get a compiler that works right.
> >
> Then go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/sp/vs6sp5/ordering.asp and
> order the service pack on CD for a service charge of a whole $5.
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you.  That helps.  Funny they must have an awful lot of screwups
to download 175Mb tho.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Subject: Re: The usual Linux spiel... (was Re: Is Open Source for You?)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:23:32 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Greg Cox wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>says...
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Greg Cox wrote:
>> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>> >As usual Max, you're wrong.  The 640K limitation had nothing to do with
>> >DOS and everything to do with where IBM decided to place hardware in its
>> >memory map for the IBM PC.  Before everyone standardized on IBM
>> >compatability there were several manufacturers making boxes that had
>> >more contiguous memory space available than IBM did.
>>

>> My recollection is that DRDOS 7 from digital in the UK made the extended
>> memory available for use by dos apps, whereas MSDOS 3.31, the competing
>> OS at the time did not.
>>
>> DRDOS was then adopted in large numbers (it also had a multi-tasking
>> capability and a gui in which windows could be run as a process).
>>
>> Microsoft then began another of its illegal campaigns to stamp out
>> the competition (in this case DRDOS), whilst desperately trying to
>> catch up with DRDOS.  MSDOS4 was complete junk, unreliable and generally
>> rubbish, MSDOS 5 was getting closer to what DRDOS could do, a *long*
>> time later.
>>
>> Bill G had seen no reason to deal with the 640k limitation in *MSDOS*
>> until it was fixed in a competing (and superior) OS.
>>

>I was talking about the 640KB limitation within the 1MB memory map
>directly addressable by the 8086/8088 CPUs but, on a second read of
>Max's rant, your interpretation is probably more accurate in that he was
>referencing EMM/EMS drivers to access >1MB memory.  However, I seem to
>remember that there were third party EMM/EMS drivers for MS-DOS available
>before DRI shipped them in DRDOS so his point is really moot.

I do not recollect any third party mem drivers for DOS3.31 until long
after DRDOS had be released, but I could be wrong.  DRDOS, however,
certainly came with this capability as part of its standard distro,
along with a utility for maximising memory and tuning it depending on
what you were expecting to use the PC for.  Memmax, I think?

There was certainly no multi-tasking process manager available for DOS3.31,
as there was for DRDOS7.  Taskmax I think it was called.

There was definitely no GUI, DRDOS came with Viewmax (aka Gem).

You could run windows as a process in taskmax.

If we're talking about the memory map issue, then that is surely a
real-mode issue, fundamental to the rather broken design of MSDOS?

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:36:31 -0700

Mark wrote:

> >> Maybe we should do him a favour and send him copies of Tuxkart, tuxracer,
> >> flightgear, chromium and all the other good linx games ( or suggest he
> >> looks at www.linuxgames.com).
> >
> >I'd be wary of anything with that stupid fucking penguin in it. If he
> >wants good games, send him over to Loki's sight for some REAL games.
> >

> I like the penguin.
>
> --
> Mark Kent

I wonder where we can get some stuffed Octopi to sell to the
Windanistas?  We could make a good profit!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Subject: Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:24:17 +0100

In article <9g5svc$2100$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Stuart Fox wrote:

>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >No, but then neither is Mr Devlin
>>
>> Yes I am.
>
>"monopoly crapware" is hardly an unbiased term.  It pops up in every second
>post you make.  You also contend that every action Microsoft takes is that
>of a monopolist, because they have a monopoly in one area.  You are so
>biased against Microsoft it's not funny.

Well, this isn't a Microsoft advocacy group, what did you expect?

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:39:26 -0700

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > If linux really is slow in penetration... maybe some more KY jelly ought
> > to do it! :-)
>
> Mabwy that would get Aaron kookis to finally, uh, take it.
>
> -Ed

Nah.  He's young yet. I wouldn't do that to him.

------------------------------

From: Colin Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Desktop Linux
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:47:41 -0400

Robert Morelli wrote:

> I've been using LaTeX daily for well over 10 years.  I can pretty easily
> visualize what it's going to do most of the time,  but including graphics
> is definitely one of the weakest points.  In fact,  the TeX system on
> which LaTeX is based doesn't have even a single graphics primitive.
> The only way you can include graphics is by using driver specific
> extensions or using one of a variety of bizarre kluges (like converting
> an image into a character of a gigantic bitmapped font).

Ever try PStricks?

> TeX was conceived in the 1970's and retains most of the limitations
> that 1970's computing placed on it.  One of those was lack of a
> common graphics standard,  but there are lots of others.  On the
> whole,  TeX is a hopelessly primitive and wacky typesetting system.
> Unfortunately,  TeX is one of the standards for document
> publishing under UNIX,  but its development was basically abandoned
> in the 1980's.  Development of LaTeX has continued,  but at an almost
> imperceptible pace.  The LaTeX of today is only marginally better
> than the original LaTeX of 20 years ago.  That slow rate of progress
> is mostly because the TeX foundation on which it's built is such a
> poor technology.

Or maybe (LA)TeX just works.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: Sky King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:43:30 -0400

says...
> Ed Cogburn wrote:
>
> > You just suddenly made it "pertinent to North America" because you know
> > you're wrong and are back-pedalling.  AIDS is on the increase in most
> > places in the world, even North America, but its no longer restricted to
> > the gay community anymore.  AIDS is spreading among heterosexual
> > teenagers here because they've bought into the stupidity such as what
> > you spew out and think they don't have to worry about AIDS since "it
> > only happens to gays".  Ignorant people like you are **MAKING** it
> > pertinent to North America.
>
> I have stated on several occasions that in North America AIDS is
> currently more prevalent among homosexuals.
>
> This does not mean that in the future, heterosexual transmission rates
> will not increase.
>
> Shawn Pickrell

And even that can be misleading.  For example if we had 100,000
cases of aids among gay men one year and 110,000 the next year
we could say its only increased by 10%.  Now if we have one het
get it one year and two the next, its doubled among hets.
Still the majority of aids cases in the developed countries comes
from homosexual behavior. sky

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-032 : SQL Query Method Enables
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:42:03 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> Matt, if you want to get into a pissing match about bugs, thats your
> perogative, but all products have them, and the 60 or so security patches
> for Red Hat 7.0 are a good example.

Hehehe... I thought I heard heavy feet stomping toward this post!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:30:58 +0100

In article <9g5ruq$20r5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Stuart Fox wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:59:46 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>>
>> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>with
>> >16MB

>> >I got it installed, and  configured X - I hardly think that classes as
>> >"don't know what you're doing"
>>
>> I thought you said you couldn't get it working properly.
>
>No, my words were "Linux advocates told me that Linux would run fine on a
>486 with 16MB memory so I tried it.  It didn't".
>
>There's nothing there about getting it working properly.  It was working
>properly, it was just fucking slow with X.  Of course, XF86Config didn't
>actually work, so I had to adjust the config file myself, but yes, it worked
>properly, slowly.

I've never had a problem with that arrangement.  Obviously a 486 with 16M
of ram will be a little slower than a PIII with 512M of ram, but then,
even a Windows advocate would be aware of that?

I've managed to get usable xterms with twm and Xfree 3 running on a 386
machine.  It's not really quick, but it does work.

>> >Are you saying I shouldn't use X, even though it's flexibility and
>> >customisability and usuability make it far superior to Windows? (sarcasm)
>>
>> No, I'm saying you should use bash.
>
>That's fine for me, I work with computers for a living, I can figure it out.
>Not so good for ordinary Joe User though

Why not?

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance...
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:45:37 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Mark"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Yet another worthless assertion with ZERO evidence to back it up.
>>
>>The computer originated in europe in case you didn't know. The first
>>ever device that could be classified as a modern computer (ie it was
>>Turing complete) was built in Germany during WWII by Konrad Zuse (do a
>>google search, it shows up a lot of stuff) and was complete (IIRC) in
>>1943.
>>
>>If you look at a bit of history, you will realise that the development
>>of the computer is a truly multinational phenomenon and will quit with
>>"The US is better than... because they invented...".
>>
>>BTW, you're completely wrong and there is plenty of evidence.
>>
>>-Ed
>>

> Just curious why Colossus doesn't rate being classified as a computer -
> it was certainly computing before 1943 and was certainly modern and was
> very complete.......

Oops, my mistake. The Z3 was assembled in 1941. Also, Colosus was not a
"Turing complete" machine. If you are talking about non turing complete
computers, then the Z1 probably counts as the first general purpose non
turing complete machine. That mechanical marval was built (by Zuse) in
1938.

Personally, I think Collosus does count as a computer. If so the Z1 does
too.

-Ed

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux    starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:38:10 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Thaddius Maximus wrote:
>drsquare wrote:
>>
>>  On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:33:59 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >Now we are supposed to feed them too?  Why don't the Dutch do it?
>>
>> Typical American attitude. Let the children starve to death whilst we
>> send pieces of metal into space for fun.
>

>Sheesh man, you Dutch have genocide going on in your neighbor's
>backyard and you do nothing about it.

Err, which neighbour?

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:37:13 +0100

In article <r_xV6.26580$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chad Myers wrote:

>"Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:NtvV6.44486$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> simultaneously.

>> > Now we are supposed to feed them too?  Why don't the Dutch do it?
>> >
>> The world thinks the USA should feed the poor and  protect them but most of
>> them don't want to lift a finger to help,  since it not their problem.
>
>But they're just fine criticizing the US for all manor of the world's problems.
>It's all our fault, remember? How come you don't see the French or the British
>sending all sorts of humanitarian aid to Africa?
>
>-c

You do.  Lots of aid.  Do you remember the band-aid thing (live aid aka),
where do you think that started?

It's probably not reported on your local TV, so you probably don't know
about it.

US aid is never reported here, so anyone in the street probably genuinely
believes that there isn't any.

Nor is aid from France, Germany, Japan, etc.

I think the phrase '...you don't see...' is very telling.  Maybe you
just didn't look in the right place?

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:54:27 +0100

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <sVAV6.790$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Stephen S. Edwards II
> wrote:
>>"Jasper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>>> How embarrissing.  Radio waves are light.
>>
>>*sigh*  That comment is right up there with
>>"patriotism is a stupid thing".
>>

> Err, try reading Maxwell's Equations - there is no difference,  they are
> the same thing!

And God said:

div(D) = rho

div(B) = 0

curl(H) = J + dD/dt

curl(E) = dB/dt

And there was light.

Of course, you could always write it using the action principle:

delta(F) = 0

-Ed

From: "Stephen Fuld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:55:43 GMT

"Bill Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9g8jgt$gjh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Maynard Handley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <x9EV6.79268$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > "Stephen Fuld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > > Wait a minute here.  Let's take a step back.  In response to Maynard's
> > > original question, I pointed out that there are several third party
> packages
> > > that purport to do pretty much exactly what he wants.  They do this by
> > > "cloning the disk" across any one of several interfaces, after a
floppy
> or a
> > > CD is booted into the new (presumably blank) machine.  Yes, you may
have
> > > fiddle with the drivers for some non standard peripherals, but for the
> most
> > > part, it is supposed to be painless.  In Maynard's original post, he
> talked
> > > about his e-mail environment and, if both systems use standard control
> > > modems, this should work easily.  Then someone asked if I had actually
> done
> > > this.  I haven't, but someone else said they have and it worked pretty
> well.
> > > We then got off into a whole bunch of Linux stuff and other packages
> that
> > > don't work and other even less related things, but I believe that
> Maynard's
> > > original request was answered affirmativly, even if the answer was
> buried in
> > > other rants :-(.
> >
> > I still don't see how cloning the disk solves my problem.
> > I don't want an IDENTICAL copy of machine A on machine B. After all,
> > machine A is running an OS from 2 yrs ago on a CPU from 4 yrs ago. I
want
> > a "conceptually" identical copy, but with the OS and hardware targetted
> > bits replaced. This means doing the right thing with all the pre-loaded
> > apps along with shared material like fonts and DLLs plus, of course, the
> > registry.

OK, I didn't understand that you wanted a different OS version as well.  In
that case, what Bill proposes below should do the trick.  and I have (at
least once) upgraded the OS on an existing machine :-).  It was pretty
straight forward.  Put in the upgrade CD answer the obligatory "I agree to
the licence" questions, and sit and watch.  It took a few minutes.

> Perhaps you missed the post where I explained that the way to accomplish
> this (with the caveat that there may be some manual tweaking required in
> *some* cases, though in many there won't be) is then to perform an
*upgrade*
> installation of your new OS version on the new hardware after moving over
> the cloned original system.
>
> Microsoft certainly attempts to make this easy, and in at least many cases
> succeeds.

Yes.  I guess you could do it either way.  That is, clone the old system to
the new one then upgrade the old OS on the new system, or upgrade the old OS
on the old system, then clone that to the new system.

In any event, assuming you are running some relativly recent varient of
Windows, you should be able to do it pretty easily.  If you want to "take a
giant step", that is from say 3.1 to ME, you probably have to go through
some intermediate level(s) though.

--
    -  Stephen Fuld