  Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed ("Jon Johansan")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush.limbaugh
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:05:37 -0400

Rick wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > GreyCloud wrote:

> > > If I recall right, San Francisco was notorious for gay bathhouses that
> > > ran all night.
> > > When aids became a problem, most of the bathhouses shutdown.  I suspect
> >
> > Ironically, it was RONALD REAGAN who was pushing for them to be
> > shut down....and the gay community later accused him of "not
> > doing anything" about AIDS.
> >

> Regan DIDNT do anything about AIDS. He was anti0homosexual. He he closed
> bathhouses, it had NOTHING to do with AIDS prevention.

Yes, it did, you moron.

At that time, the only thing the medical community had to go on was
a high correlation with something they called 'Gay Bowel Syndrome',
and so they advised Reagan that the best way to stop the spread of
AIDS was to shut down the bath houses.

This caused the fags to simultaneously howl that
a) nobody was doing anything to help stop AIDS
and
b) that shutting down the bathhouses, which is one place where the
        pathogen was being transmitted...wasn't right.

> > Left wingers are all about hypocrisy..
> >

> As opposed to you, all about ignorance and bigotry.

See above, idiot.

> > > that this helped in reducing the spread of aids some. Then public
> > > education on tv started via commercials, but the aids has gotten into
> > > every sector of life its starting to blur the lines.  Africa, at least
> > > what we've been spoon fed on the news, is suffering heavily from aids.
> > > Not exactly sure what their real problem is over there.  The news is
> > > sort of vague about it.
> >
> > I'm willing to bet that a LOT more of the men who get it are
> > picking it up through homosexual contact than are willing to
> > admit it.
> >

> You apparently do NOT have a clue about the AIDS pandemic. Look at the
> numbers. how can there be a LOT more?

I.e. a lot of Africans not admitting to engaging in homosexual behavior,
thus, the African AIDS stats are probably not in line with reality.

For the same reason...if you're going to argue that the USA is "homophobic"
then the true proportion of homosexual:heterosexual aids is EVEN HIGHER
than what the CDC numbers say.

> <large obnoxious sig snipped>

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: 15 Jun 2001 14:07:08 -0500

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 15 Jun 2001 10:13:04 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> What if the modem drivers were on the same disk!
> >
> >Hayes Generic Modem - nothing to download.
> >Perhaps, more likely, your modem is already on the list of thousands
> >supported.
>
> Not if it's a winmodem.

Hmm... if it's a winmodem then it's designed to work with Windows only and
it's acknowledged that if you don't have the disk then you are, indeed,
hosed UNLESS it's one of the several most popular brands that have drivers
included on the CD already.

And, tell me, how well does Linux work with a winmodem even with a disk
handy?

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 14:07:13 -0500

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:52:56 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] ()) wrote:

> >>What the hell are you talking about?
> >
> >whining and bitching and struggling for 16 hours vs. plopping $30 down
> >for a real modem. (albeit a used 56K modem)
>
> Why should I have to spend $30 in the first place?

To actually buy one?

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: 15 Jun 2001 14:12:10 -0500

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9gdcjb$e1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jon Johansan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> >> (And then they expect us to fall over wounded because some lame
> >> I'm-going-out-of-buisiness Windows magazine is doing a publicity stunt
> >> for some sustainted advertising dollars)
>
> > That's rich. Oh, that's precious. A linvocate trying to talk about
> > "going-out-of-business" and trying to make some dollars? given the
> > "performance" of EVERY single "linux" related company you can think of -
> > find that laughable.
>
> IBM makes the largest, fastest parallel clusters in the world.  See the
> ASCI series, also Blue.

Which isn't running Linux.

> If thats a little rich for your blood, you can get a single S/390 node
> running vm/linux (suse, ibm) with all the licensing you need (including
> DB2 and software) for right around 600,000 US dollars, not including
> shipping and installation.

Wow - just what I need to run my Free OS on - what a savings!

I would hardly consider IBM to be a "linux related" company. Lets say that
IBM is just a company looking to borrow some hype from Linux for the simple
reason it's "not-MS" and cause it was easy to port to their already running
*nix systems.

Then again, go ahead, include them. I see them spending money like water on
their Linux marketing and development and making $0 on it so far. Woo hoo -
it's a publicity and marketing strategy - you'll figure it out eventually;
the rest of us already have.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 14:13:14 -0500

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9gdcm3$e1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jon Johansan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> "Hello, Gartner?  Yeah, Miller from Microsoft again.  Look, we'd like
you
> >> to do another independent study for us.  You know, call up a bunch of
> >> system administrators and ask them if they've bought any Linux servers
in
> >> the last year.  Oh, no, not at all, we'll be more than happy to provide
> >> you with a cold-call list.  Just don't tell anybody we culled it from
our
> >> MSVP and MCSE mailings.  Good enough.  Pleasure talking to you again."
>
> > "Hello Netcraft? Yea, Linus here. Look, can we jigger those figures
again.
> > You know, publish some really high numbers for Apache, low ones for IIS,
> > jigger then around a little up and down and since there is no
independent
> > verification and no one else is even trying I'm sure no one will mind.
Of
> > course I won't be paying you anything, I don't have any money, but I can
> > guarentee you'll get mentioned on Slashdot again this month. Great ...
and,
> > please, wear that aftershave I sent you, it really turns me on."
>
> Are you accusing Linus Torvalds of bribing netcraft to skew results?
>
> You realize he does actually read this newsgroup now and then, dont you?

Just as you accused MS of bribing Gartner (and whomever happens to print
something favorable about MS or disfavorable about Linux)?

I'm sure Linus would recognize both paragraphs as being utter crap and not
even bother with it. GET IT?

------------------------------

From: robert$#-- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting used to Linux
Date: 15 Jun 2001 11:41:14 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, drsquare says...

>On 15 Jun 2001 03:02:25 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (mark34-@- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>says...
>>

>>>Why did you buy a card with no Linux support, if as you say,
>>>you wanted to use Linux?  Seems a bit unlikely to me.

>>May be because he liked that specific card?
>

>So even if he liked it, he should buy it even though it wouldn't work?

It seems that the card works. It is just that Linux does not
have the software and the drivers to use it.

Linux seems to be always playing catch up. Once drivers are written
to the card, a better card comes up with windows ready drivers, and
by the time Linux can support the new card, another newer and better
card comes out.

So, for multimedia and graphics, linux remains a generation behind windows.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 13:29:39 -0600

Todd  Merritt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 15 Jun 2001, . wrote:
>
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jon Johansan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > That's rich. Oh, that's precious. A linvocate trying to talk about
> > > "going-out-of-business" and trying to make some dollars? given the
> > > "performance" of EVERY single "linux" related company you can think of - I
> > > find that laughable.
> >
> > IBM makes the largest, fastest parallel clusters in the world.  See the
> > ASCI series, also Blue.
>
> Err, ASCI Blue is an SGI.

Nope; the 'Blue' is for IBM and the mountain in which it lives.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 14:30:03 -0500

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9gdd68$e1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jon Johansan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "JS \ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> I wasn't aware that netcraft was counting physical servers. When did
that
> >> start happening?
> >> The way they count has nothing to do with server market share.
> >> No more than counting houses shows the amount of cities.
>
> > Netcraft has never claimed nor is it even capable (or anyone for that
> > matter) of counting physical servers.
>
> > So, a mom&pop ISP running a single BSD box using Apache with 2000
virtual
> > hosts (those little 5 meg sites that joes diner and franks car repair
puts
> > up their one or two pages created in dreamweaver or frontpage)
>
> Apparently youve never had to deal with such a box.  Heres an example:
>
> I can run 3500 of those websites *easily* on a dual PIII 600 w/1 gig of
ram
> and freebsd 4.3.

Um, thank you. You've even further proven my point. 3500 of _those_ sites
easily - I believe that because I've seen it. Some are name only virtual
hosts. Only 3500?? I've seen more.

> IIS cannot handle 3500 websites, no matter what kind of hardware its
running
> on, and never has been able to.  Microsoft likes you to pile em on
lightly,
> or buy one box per site.

"That is completely untrue. Here is a little tool from MS that will assist
you in creating and managing up to about 5000 virtual hosts on a single
server (Scalable Hosting Solutions):

http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/IIS/shsover.asp

Depending on the application, a single IIS 5.0 server can host up to 5,000
sites due to the amount of storage required in the Metabase for each
additional site. SHS however, is designed to support many more sites because
all virtual site subdirectories share the same configuration of the root
directory web site. Therefore, with SHS, you can create and maintain tens to
hundreds of thousands of parked and/or virtual sites."

http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/IIS/shsadmin.asp

Beats apache any day ...

<snip some kinda mine is longer than yours thing...>

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell"
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:30:34 +0200

Jon Johansan wrote:

> Well, "DLL Hell" is no longer a valid concept or issue in Windows 2000 or
> XP. Looks like that legacy has been taken up by linux - taken from the
> front page of Linux Weekly News (http://www.lwn.net/):
>
> "gnucash 1.6 and the dependency nightmare
>
> gnucash is perhaps the prime example of shared library dependency hell.
> The executable requires no less than 60 different shared libraries, all,
> of course, with the right version."
>
> I'm sorry but... har! har! har!
>
> "Upgrading to GNOME 1.4 addresses many of those dependencies, but not all
> of them."
>
> Sure, just upgrade
>
> "Dealing with the rest has proved tricky, even for people who are
> accustomed to this sort of problem. "

Hmmmm... some end user app needs 60 libs and you talk about DLL hell....
What the heck.. ill program soem fancy "hello world "for Windows using 200
libs and break the record....

Maybe you should know a bit more about DLL Hell.. its not about the number
of libraries but about the versions of the libraries installed.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 14:31:04 -0500

"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I so LOVE it when someone claims to have killfiled (or better yet,
actually
> > done it) - it is the ultimate proof that that person is not willing to
> > consider anything but what they believe is true - very blind indeed...
>
> Aaron is an exception, though.

You are absolutely correct. :)

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 14:31:11 -0500

"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > (And then they expect us to fall over wounded because some lame
> > > I'm-going-out-of-buisiness Windows magazine is doing a publicity stunt
> > > for some sustainted advertising dollars)
> >
> > That's rich. Oh, that's precious. A linvocate trying to talk about
> > "going-out-of-business" and trying to make some dollars? given the
> > "performance" of EVERY single "linux" related company you can think of -
> > find that laughable.
>
> Like IBM and Oracle?
>
> Hrmmm.

I don't consider them "Linux related" because they have a product or two
that happens to use linux so they can ride the bandwagon of hype and
anti-MS-ism.

------------------------------

From: Zsolt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:31:45 GMT

Jon Johansan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 15 Jun 2001 13:54:15 -0500 presented us with the
wisdom:

> > Wow, that is a lot of dependencies.  Good thing the
> > package manager takes care of it all automatically.
> >

> Well, you make it sound as if that's all there is to it. You just install
> the specific versions of the libraries this application needs.  ... uummm,
> what about the OTHER applications you have that might need OTHER specific
> versions of libraries? Oh yea... DLL hell....   you are welcome to it, we're
> past that.

I see you still don't get it...
In Linux (and Unix in general) the version number is part of the name and it has
always been like that - Windows just copied that in XP lagging behind a few
decades as usual. So, installing the required specific versions does _NOT_
impact other applications (that require other specific versions) at all!
So, _you_ in XP might be just past that, but _we_ in Unix world have never
been there (in DLL hell)... sorry to disappoint you!

Zsolt

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 14:32:09 -0500

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9gdhd9$p6f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > That's rich. Oh, that's precious. A linvocate trying to talk about
> > > "going-out-of-business" and trying to make some dollars? given the
> > > "performance" of EVERY single "linux" related company you can think
of -
> > > find that laughable.
> >
> > Like IBM and Oracle?
> >

> What precentage of IBM/Oracle resources is directed at Linux?

Then ask; what percentage of income do they derive in return for these
resource expenditures...

------------------------------

From: Greg Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:34:00 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > You as the user have the right to do that under fair use doctrine.
> > >
> > > Microsoft does not have the right to do that for millions of users.
> >
> > Again Joe, Microsoft didn't do anything.   *I* did by turning on the
> > feature.   Just as *I* can "change your page" by changing fonts, colors,
> > turning off graphics, sounds, etc.   There is no difference.
>
> Go read up on Fair Use.
>
> You as the user have different rights than a third party would.
>
> Furthmore, Microsoft most certainly _did_ make a change. Copyright law
> doesn't care whether you turned the feature on or not. The fact that it
> exists at all is a violation of the author's copyright.

Hey, if this is such a slam-dunk then Microsoft will immediately face
thousands of lawsuits and lose billions of dollars in judgements...

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush.limbaugh
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:32:41 -0400

Rick wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Rick wrote:

> > > You miaght also like to know, that according to lates statistics, we
> > > havnet seen the median case yet. Do you have any idea what that means?
> >
> > Define median case.
> >

> Um, thats whaT I wanted you to answer. Can we assume you dont know what
> that is?

Since YOU are the one introducing the term into the discussion, then
the burden is on YOU to define it.

Hope that helps, loser.

> > > == In this country== the largest percentage of HIV infected people ( as
> > > far as we know) are homosexuals. In the rest of the world, they are
> > > overwhelmingly heterosexual. In this country gay activists are quite
> > > vocal and some are quite prominent, so they get noticed.
>
> NOTE: no response.

The rest of the world recognized HIV-infected in-DUH-viduals to be
the suicidal IDIOTS that they are.

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
>
> <Large obnoxious sig snipped>

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 14:34:11 -0500

"Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jon Johansan wrote:
>
> > I so LOVE it when someone claims to have killfiled (or better yet,
> > actually done it) - it is the ultimate proof that that person is not
> > willing to consider anything but what they believe is true - very blind
> > indeed...
>
> No, it simply means that someone will not read any longer the
> talkings out of the ass of someone, like Aaron Kookis, which I
> have killfiled (that jerk is really dumb, racist and a wintroll to boot)
> Your postings are not at all more intelligent, it just happens
> that you do not use a sig as annoying as A. Kookis.
> Otherwise you would have been a long time in /dev/null

Why, that is quite insulting. I take offense that you lump me with Aaron.
Given he is a linvocate as are you - can I do the same with you? I don't
think you'd like that.

Sorry to hear that you consider anything that doesn't agree with your own
way of thinking or preferences as "not at all more intelligent" but I hope
you'll grow out of this phase.

You might like what I say but I don't see you disproving  or effectively
countering it without resorting to childish insults.