From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:11:14 -0400

Dan wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > PLEASE GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL---No one has ever suggested that
> > it goes through Microsoft's servers.
> >
> > But Microsoft's software does change the structure of the web page by
> > adding hyperlinks that the author never intended. Microsoft is clearly
> > involved.
>
> PLEASE GET THIS THROUGH *YOUR* THICK SKULL--- I can make more
> "structural changes" to a page by changing fonts, colors, turning off
> graphics and sounds.   Hell, I can use a text-only browser.   Is the
> author of my text-only browser involved in a copyright issue?
>
> Dan
GET THIS THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL.. you may think you control the smart
tags, but micro$ft really does. They can add anything they want, in ways
you wont find. They can remove the optioin to turn the damn thing off.
They can add links to send people from yahoo, AOL or anyplace else to
MSN. They could add linke that sends people to competitors from my
pages. And you have no choice in the matter. Get a clue. Buy one if you
have to.o

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:12:05 -0400

Dan wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Go read up on Fair Use.
> >
> > You as the user have different rights than a third party would.
> >
> > Furthmore, Microsoft most certainly _did_ make a change. Copyright law
> > doesn't care whether you turned the feature on or not. The fact that it
> > exists at all is a violation of the author's copyright.
>
> Baloney.   The page has not been changed.   If you consider an underline
> to be changing the page, then what of changing fonts, colors, turning
> off graphics and sounds?   That's more of a change than this, yet no one
> is complaing about that.
>
> Dan

You know, you really are a one note song. get a new one.

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More microsoft innovation
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:14:55 -0400

Dan wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > No matter how you look at it (if you bother looking rationally), it is a
> > big deal.
> >
> > From a creative author's standpoint, it's very negative since Microsoft
> > is changing the content of the site. In fact, to the extent that the
> > links are one element of the author's intent, Microsoft is even changing
> > the intent of an author's site.
> >
> > From a practical standpoint, it's negative. Microsoft is now able to
> > steer ALL INTERNET USERS to their site -- regardless of what the viewer
> > wants.
> >
> > From a business standpoint, it's negative. It gives Microsoft the
> > ability to usurp the web sites of their competitors -- or even companies
> > they don't like much.
> >
> > From an advocacy standpoint, it's negative. Microsoft can effectively
> > deface the pages of anyone supporting alternatives to the MS monopoly.
> >
> > It has a huge number of negatives and few, if any positives.
>
> Relax, Joe.   Have you even seen it?   You sound *extremely* paranoid
> here.
>
> Dan

Really? Then prove these links dont deface pages, and prove that m$ CANT
add links to their pages from competitor's pages. prove that m$ wont
remove the ability to turn smart tags. And, if you dont know that m$
plays by all the dirty tricks they can muster ,you havent been around
too long, or you havent been paying attention.

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:18:47 -0400

Dan wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > If I wanted links to send people to differnt places in my page, I would
> > provide them. IF I dont, I dont want some third party sending people to
> > places I have no control over.
>
> But it's not about you.   It's about the *user*.   We don't expect you
> to anticipate *every* thing that I might be interested in.

It IS about me, and my web page. -I- should be able to decide what is on
my page, not micro$oft. And, maybe I dont care what you are interested
in. Maybe I only care about my particular message.

> > I dont control the fonts on my page, within the limits of HTML. You can
> > change the font family, perhaps, but generally not the sizing or
> > placement. You can turn graphics on and off, but not change them. This
> > little ploy of micro$oft's is nothing more than changing other people's
> > intellectual property, and the ability to start sending omore and more
> > people to more and more micro$oft approved sites.
>
> So Apple, Yahoo, Cisco and the University of Michigan are "Microsoft
> approved sites"!!!!

At the moment, yes. As well as m$'s own sites. They will be able to add
liks to their sites from competitor's sites. You just dont get it.

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Win/userbase!
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 01:27:27 +0100

Charlie Ebert wrote:
[snip]

Hmmmm. Interesting but a few points.
1) Virus scanners now should use heuristics rather than just "known
patterns"
2) You can write viri for Linux - it just does not do a much damage (if
you are lucky and not as root or an account with too many unchecked
privileges)

But I agree with you main point that Virus scanners are rubbish. If it
can't stop a simple VB macro in an Email then things are in a bad way.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Thrippleton)
Subject: Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell"
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 01:02:28 +0000

In article <A_uW6.15206$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>"Zsolt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I see you still don't get it...
>> In Linux (and Unix in general) the version number is part of the name and
>it has
>> always been like that - Windows just copied that in XP lagging behind a
>few
>> decades as usual. So, installing the required specific versions does _NOT_
>> impact other applications (that require other specific versions) at all!
>> So, _you_ in XP might be just past that, but _we_ in Unix world have never
>> been there (in DLL hell)... sorry to disappoint you!
>
>That only goes so far.
>
>When dealing with common libraries this can cause many problems.
>
>Consider an application which uses 3 libraries.  liba, libb, and libc.  The
>application and libb require liba version 3, but libc requires liba version
>2.  When you link the libraries together, only one version of liba will be
>linked in, and that will be liba version 3, because the libraries themselves
>don't have linkage information.  libc breaks because it expects liba version
>2, and isn't compatible with version 3.
        You fail to see the point. In unix these libraries would be called
liba.so.2, liba.so.3 etc. So the older versions would be there when
necessary.

Richard

------------------------------

From: "Joel Barnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:31:23 -0700

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

... a worthless diatribe that I have snipped.

The Windows user's biggest mistake wasn't using Windows, Charlie, it was
asking you for help.

jbarntt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:44:16 GMT

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:43:10 +0100, pip
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This seems rather crap. Libraries should provide a *single* binary that
> simply gets added to and bugfixed. Changing interfaces is EVIL, WASTEFUL
> and reeks of poor design and a bad philosophy.

Yeah, yeah, whatever.  Unfortunately, it is the real world we live in.
In that world, nobody is perfect, and systems do evolve.  People who
work on shared libraries should be more careful about making changes,
but often they aren't, particularly for works in progress like Gnome.

Static linking has problems too, BTW, just a different set of them.

> In other words it sucks big time and you should admit it!

What solution would you propose?  Note that "be a perfect programmer" is
not a viable solution.

> I am not defending windows dll hell, just that this "solution" is crap.

Shared libraries have certain inherent problems, just like everything
else.  The Unix solution at least makes it possible to use an old
library if you have to.

I actually don't have that many library problems, even on Windows.
OTOH, I don't go running around downloading the latest and greatest of
everything either.  If you want your system to be stable, you have to
avoid gratuitously changing it.  This applies to all computer systems.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:44:14 GMT

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:09:56 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Caldera OpenLinux 2.4 does... it came with GnuCash and it worked.

It does?  Where?  COL doesn't even have a Gnome desktop, just the
libraries.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:44:20 GMT

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:34:48 -0400, Seán Ó Donnchadha
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The Unix scenario is exactly the same, except that it wastes disk space on
> no-longer-used minor library revisions. It doesn't matter how many versions
> of libfoo.so.1.* are on the disk, because the libfoo.so.1 symbolic link can
> only point at one of them.

That's why God made LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  See, you can put libfoo.so.1 into
the app directory and make a link to it called "libfoo.so".  Then make a
wrapper that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH and launches the app.

Yeah, it requires some effort.  But at least it is possible to make it
work even if the app developer didn't help you out.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: MySQL?
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:44:26 GMT

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:30:53 +0200, Henrik Andersen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there a distribution where MySQL is included???

Probably most of them.  Caldera has it for sure.  It isn't hard to
install in any case.

> And PHP support of course....

Same there.  Probably all of them that have Apache have PHP.

> Write me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Nope.  Post here, read here.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:44:28 GMT

On 15 Jun 2001 14:07:08 -0500, Jon Johansan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> And, tell me, how well does Linux work with a winmodem even with a disk
> handy?

If it is one of the ones that are supported (e.g. Lucent), then about
the same way as Windows.  Winmodems are still a bad idea though.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:48:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 pip wrote:
>Charlie Ebert wrote:
>[snip]
>
>Hmmmm. Interesting but a few points.
>1) Virus scanners now should use heuristics rather than just "known
>patterns"

Well that's fine.  So after the virus has infected the machine,
you will get a warning from the 'heuristics' device then?

Still, I fail to see what good this does.

Further, you include the words 'now should use'

This sort of leaves a blanket taste in my mouth with the meaning,
it doesn't yet.

>2) You can write viri for Linux - it just does not do a much damage (if
>you are lucky and not as root or an account with too many unchecked
>privileges)

I believe the point is, within Windows every user is the root.
And there's nothing they can do about that.

>But I agree with you main point that Virus scanners are rubbish. If it
>can't stop a simple VB macro in an Email then things are in a bad way.

And I'm happy to hear you agree with me.
Everybody has a right to an opinion.  Even if that
opinion leads them to travel in circles, forever appearently.

But this IS the Windows effect on people...

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:49:53 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:26:34 +0100
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:32:53 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> ("Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
>>Question:  Why are you using such enormous indents?  :^)
>>
>>I'd prefer doing:
>>
>>  char *function(char *string) {
>>      char *buffer = malloc(strlen(string)*2+1);
>>      char *ptr = buffer;
>>      char current;
>>      do {
>>          switch (current = *string) {
>>          case '@':
>>          case '\'':
>>              *ptr++ = '@';
>>          default:
>>              *ptr++ = *string++;
>>          }
>>      } while (current);
>>      return realloc(buffer, ptr-buffer);
>>  }
>
>Are you TAKING the piss??? All indents should be like THIS:
>
>char *function(char *string) {
> char *buffer = malloc(strlen(string)*2+1);
> char *ptr = buffer;
> char current;
> do {
>  switch (current = *string) {
>   case '@':
>   case '\'':
>    *ptr++ = '@';
>   default:
>    *ptr++ = *string++;
>  }
> } while (current);
> return realloc(buffer, ptr-buffer);
>}

This could get into a religious war :-), but...

I for one prefer something like the following:

char * function(char *string)
{
  char * buffer = maloc(strlen(string)*2 + 1);
  char * ptr = buffer;
  char current;
  do
  {
    switch(current = *string)
    {
    case '@':
    case '\'':
      *ptr++ = '@';
      /* and drop through */
    default:
      *ptr++ = *string++;
    }
  } while(current);

  return realloc(buffer, ptr-buffer);
}

mostly because { and } line up.  IMO, it makes matching things
a little easier.

I tend to just hit the TAB key, though, for indentation.
At some point, I'll have to cobble up some VI magic (there's
a line one can put near the top of source code) to autoset
the tabs for me -- or just use .virc or .vimrc or something.

Some other users might do:

char *
function(char * string)

or

char *
function(
  char * string  /* this is something useful */
)

although it depends in part on how many arguments said function needs.
One nice feature about the last: one can document the arguments, a line
at a time (although in C++ and Java it's easier to use //, but the idea's
the same).

Also, one can search fairly easily for function headers:
/^[a-z][a-z0-9_]*(/

(although in my case /^\{/ would work almost as well).

                    Microsoft.  When you're not aggravated enough.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:52:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joel Barnett wrote:

>"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>... a worthless diatribe that I have snipped.
>
>The Windows user's biggest mistake wasn't using Windows, Charlie, it was
>asking you for help.
>
>jbarntt

Well,

Better than this, perhaps you might as well tell us all what we
can do to make Windows safer.  Show me what I should have said
to this USER.

I'll give you 1,000 sheets of paper and the next 10 years to
come up with something.

In the mean-time, I think it's a crime that hundreds of Windows
USERS are reading this follow-up you've posted, and concluded
there is a solution to this man's problem.  The worlds problem -
with WINDOWS.

Finally, I'd just like to say, if you felt it really was
worthless diatribe as your so proud of saying, then why did
you so quickly reply to the man you obviously think so highly
of?

Could it be your full of shit?

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:06:44 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Forgive me for mentioning this - BUT THE POINT OF SHARED LIBS ARE: 1)
> REDUCE CODE SPACE
> 2) REUSE CODE
>
> having multiple versions of a library is violating point 1. Sure it
> works - but it also sucks as a design decision.
>
> comments ?

"Memory is cheap."

I borrowed that comment from a review of Windows XP I read on C|Net.  If
the extra memory requirements are not seen as a problem for XP, why harp
about a few wasted megs under Linux?

And down the road a short piece, maybe by RedHat 7.2 or 7.3, this
particular problem will be history.  It's the price we pay for progress;
bleeding edge software always requires more effort and more resources than
legacy stuff, and it doesn't matter whether it runs under Windows or Linux
or Irix or Solaris.  It's been that way since the UNIVAC arrived on the
scene a half century ago.

But in the meantime, it can be made to work, and in harmony with what we
already have.  And that's really all that matters, isn't it?

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:57:30 -0500

Charlie, it's really easy to tell when you're lying.  You always give these
long drawn out stories in which you insult everyone you talk to, yet they
never seem to understand that you are insulting them.

If you talked the way you claim you talked to this person in this message,
nearly anyone would have either left, or punched you in the face.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux wins again....
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:59:01 -0500

"Rex Ballard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> This is a very interesting article.  Interesting first because
> Microsoft even allowed the benchmark to be run and then published.
> Since the NT Server license
> requires Microsoft approval of all benchmarks I'm surprised it was
> ever published.

The NT Server EULA doesn't have any such limitation.  You are thinking of
the SQL Server license, which does (as does Oracle and every other major
RDBMS).