From: Tuomo Takkula <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux    starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: 18 Jun 2001 22:28:28 +0200

T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Said Tuomo Takkula in alt.destroy.microsoft on 18 Jun 2001 17:57:07
>    [...]
> >Seriously, if you step back and and consider the States just from the
> >news and how they treat their own population and other people, then
> >they are at times in an equivalence class with the worst war zone of
> >the planet or some corrupt dictatorship. [...]
>
> Seriously, you should rely less on other people's opinions and urban
> legends and myths, if you seriously want to criticize the USA.  All this
> kind of babbling can result in is dismissal of your obviously jaundiced
> opinion and patriotic defense of the ideals of liberty.

How do you define liberty? How do you define patriotic defense? What
is wrong to demand from a government to treat their citizens (and
others) well, and not to destroy the planet we are living on (Kyoto!)?

Do you think we should use a different measure for the US? Of course,
the US being a democracy, they have exactly the government they
deserve, but the problem is that the things the US botch tend to have
global consequences, and I do make use my right to criticize whenever
I feel affected or disturbed. Btw, the US interfere in a similar way
if peoples human rights are violated, and I welcome that.

> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

Hmmm, you seem to contradict your sig-line.

        Best regards
        Tuomo

___
   "Microsoft OS's are good because they encourage Intel to produce
    faster CPUs for the rest of us to run Unix on."
                                                         George Dau

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Thrippleton)
Subject: Re: New BSD Advocacy site!
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:04:50 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
GreyCloud wrote:
>Richard Thrippleton wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bracy wrote:

>> >The very fact that the BSDs aren't GPL'ed makes them inferior to Linux.
>>         Oh dear.... an RMS fanatic. The BSD license is also 'free', in that
>> it has all the freedoms of the GPL, but isn't quite so restrictive (or
>> 'viral' as some say). You can incorporate BSD code into anything, as long as
>> author credits are preserved. That sounds like free to me.
>>         As to the MS 'stealing' code, under the terms of the BSD license
>> it's called 'using'. I happen to think that MS using BSD code is a good
>> thing, as at least _some_ of their OS doesn't stink.
>>
>> Richard
>
>Why should we be paying for free BSD code then?
        You don't have to.... the bits that MS 'stole' are available from
the same place they got it from. Like the Free/Open/NetBSD download site.

Richard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Thrippleton)
Subject: Re: Is Linux for me?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:12:07 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, drsquare wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:21:22 +0000, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Thrippleton)) wrote:
>
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, drsquare wrote:
>>>On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 22:39:52 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>>And Opera is the supreme choice.
>>      Agreed it's a good browser, just a shame about the adverts. Or in my
>>case the ugly white space.... firewalls rock!
>
>Or in my case, nothing at all! Cracks also rock!
        You have a crack for Opera? Sweet! But does it work for PPC? This
way please.....

Richard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Thrippleton)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:18:57 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Donn Miller wrote:
>drsquare wrote:
>>
>> On 16 Jun 2001 23:55:29 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  (/p@ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
>> >Windows IE is a much better browser.
>>
>> Compared to what? Lynx?
>
>Heh!  I love w3m myself.  Only problem with it is that it doesn't handle
>JavaScript.
        ??? That's a _problem_ ? I've never witnessed Javascript do anything
that couldn't be done with _standard_ HTML. But then I don't consider flashy
glitz worthwhile.
        Oh, and if you like console browsers, you'll *love* Links :)
(http://links.sourceforge.net)

Richard

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:30:43 -0700

Thaddius Maximus wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Thaddius Maximus"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > In a "representative democracy" the people have sovereign power through
> > > representatives.  WE DON'T HAVE THAT HERE IN THE USA!!!  Seesh...
> >
> > I ahev tried to explain to you what a "representative democracy" is. You
> > realy do not understand. Please reread some of my more recent posts on
> > the subject.
> >

> Don't worry Ed, even US politicans don't understand the type of government
> in which they partake.

Trouble is, since 1900 or so, most presidents including Clinton will
admit that they were never in true control because of a secret hidden
part of the government.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:31:34 -0700

Thaddius Maximus wrote:

> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:3b2a2d2a$0$94313$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Thaddius Maximus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > fact

> > the

> > > Ask 10 people what the word Republic means, and you'll get
> > > varrying answers.
> > >
> > > IIRC, Jefferson referred to America's style of government
> > > as "Representative Democracy". If you wish to argue with
> > > him, feel free.
> > >
> > > -c
> >
> > One more thing, many states have Democratic-type election
> > processes for electing officials. This is the "Democracy"
> > part of Representative Democracy. We elect our officials
> > Democratically, but we don't vote on every single little
> > law or act. However, many states do have a Proposition
> > framework which is, in essence, Democracy. The people
> > themselves can vote on invidual laws and acts for the
> > state, rather than having representatives do it.
> >
> > -c
>
> please educate yourself on the form of government that
> is in place in the USA.
>
> http://www.indixie.com/indixie/Articles/Republic.htm
>
> Also, neither the Constitution nor the Federalists Papers
> even remotely suggect a democracy or democracy-like form
> of government.  The Federalist Papers in particular go
> out of their way to draw the lines between a republic and
> a democracy.
>
> Face it, terms like "democratic" and "represenative
> democracy" have no basis in US government are nothing
> more than buzzwords that you seem to not be able to
> neither get out of your head, nor let go of.

It used to be that if you didn't own property you couldn't vote.

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: PC power switch wont shut down Windows
Date: 18 Jun 2001 15:36:13 -0500

"Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 10:25:39 -0700, "Stephen S. Edwards II"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "LShaping" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Windows slimey tenticles to my power supply.  I can't wait to find out
> > > what "PCHealth" is going to do to my other hard disk partitions.
> >
> > *sigh*
> >
> > I find it quite amazing that we live in an age where
> > people actually complain about convenience.  Go fig.
>
> If I use Start -> Shutdown -> Shutdown my machine shuts down and powers
off
> so fast that at the next switch on Scandisk goes through its thing and
gives
> me a row. (Win98).
>
> On windows 2000 it shagged it good and proper.
"winnt\system32\config\system
> is missing or corrupted".
>
> Reiserfs seems to have survived so far...
>
> I now select restart and switch the UPS off when the reboot starts.

I love stories likes these from the (your pick) a) incompetent or b) liars

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:36:49 +0100

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 23:18:16 GMT, "Daniel Johnson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On 17 Jun 2001 09:55:04 -0500, Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Nothing gets changed on *your* page.
> >
> > The page on the server, yes, but not the page as seen by the user. And the
> > web page author is entitled, in law, to expect that the user's browser
> will reproduce their page as accurately as possible within the constraints of
> the technology employed.
>
> What law says that?

Copyright law.

> > This expectation extends to the assurance that
> > additional, supplementary information will not be added by any third
> party.
>
> The "expectations extends"? Does that mean that
> the law does not?

The  expectation is that his creation is protected by copyright law.

> > This is copyright law.
>
> No, copyright law is not concerned with what
> you do with something once you have it; it is
> concerned with redistribution.

Precisely. And the redistribution occurs when someone displays a web page
that they've downloaded.

> If I have a legitimate
> copy of a copyrighted work, I can mutilate
> it to my hearts content- provided I do not distribute
> the result.

Correct, in the context of this discussion anyway.

But *you're* not doing the mutilating, a *third party* supplied SmartTag is.
That's the essential core point. It breaches copyright law, and possibly
leaves the third party open to criminal charges.

> > It can also be argued that adding additional information is
> >  unauthorised access to computer data, [1] which is a criminal
> > offence punishable by a fine or inprisonment in many countries.
>
> That, I think, is quite a stretch.

Whose data is it? The web page author's. It's unlikely he'll authorise third
party SmartTags over which he has no control. Ergo, it's unauthorised access
to his data. That's a criminal offence.

> > [1] The data is the property of the page author, nobody else.
>
> Presuably this would apply to ordinary links that the web
> page author put on his page, as much to SmartTags.

The hyperlinks are placed there by the page author, just as a reference in a
book is supplied by the book's author, and are therefore the property
(copyright) of the page author. What it links to may be copyright someone
else, as in the book, that's irrelevent.  OTOH, the web page author had no
hand in supplying third party SmartTags, therefore they aren't the author's
property or copyright.

> [snip]
>
> > >   *I* just get some new navigation options that *I* might find useful.
> > > That's all there is to it!
> >
> > Would you like it if links on your business pages were defaced by
> adverising for competitors' products?
>
> I wouldn't like it if the user turned off my advertisements, either,
> but they do that.

So you wouldn't like it.

QED.

> There's nothing that can be done about it-
> copyright law allows such defacements, so long as they
> are not redistributed.

Third party SmartTags are redistributed.

> > And the links that you say you might find useful are links that M$ and
> > anyone who've paid M$ hope you'll find useful - which is something
> > completely different.
>
> Paying MS is not required, it appears.

How do you know (just asking).

> Certainly if
> it were, SmartTags would not be successful.

It would seem that the death of the WWW will come cheap.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Seán Ó Donnchadha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell"
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:39:12 -0400

"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > So?  An application can link against minor revisions.
> >
> > Well yeah, except they never do, because the whole point of using
> > shared libraries is to allow your app to inherit library bug fixes
> > in the field. If you're going to link against a minor revision, you
> > might as well link statically.
>
> ... unless there are a whole suite of programs using said minor
> version (ahem, like ORBit with GNOME perhaps?).
>
> [...]
>
> It happens all the time; especiall with pre-1.0 libraries.

There is absolutely no compelling reason to link against a minor revision
unless you assume that the library is full of bugs and won't be
back-compatible when revised. Only then (and only if static linking is
impractical because you'd be pulling in too much bloat) does linking against
a minor revision make sense. That would explain your examples with GNOME and
pre-1.0 libraries. But these are freak cases, not the accepted Unix norm,
which is to use shared libraries the way they were intended to be used.

> > > I must be crazy then, because I did this exact same thing with libc
> > > just last week to install Oracle 8.1.7 on our new ten-thousand dollar
> > > box.
> >
> > Did what?
>
> I Installed an earlier minor revision of glibc to make Oracle happy
> under RedHat 7.0 (which has a known buggy glibc).

Did you have to clobber the symbolic link, or is Oracle linked against a
minor glibc revision?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: 18 Jun 2001 20:39:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chris Street wrote:
>My win2000 SQL and Exchange server, running on a lowly AMD K62/350 VIA
>board shows an up time of 72 days at the moment.......

did MS finally have the courage to add an 'uptime' function?

Hans

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:40:51 -0700

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Thaddius Maximus in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 18 Jun 2001
>    [...]
> >Naw, you see only what you want to see.  Thomas Jefferson help establish
> >a Republican form of government.
>
> ...in a democratic society.  Thus, a "democratic republic".
>
> >You should seriously give this a full read:
> >http://www.chrononhotonthologos.com/lawnotes/repvsdem.htm
>
> Any government founded on the theory that all [persons] are created
> equal, and every citizen has a vote, is by definition a democracy,
> regardless of how much epistemological quibbling may occur on the
> subject.
>
> Now get a real identity, dufus.
>
> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

You forget that in the very early days if you didn't own property you
didn't vote.
And only Abraham Lincoln came out with this "all men are created equal"
stuff.
The old democracy of the greeks embraced slavery, which this country did
have in the beginning. Later it was removed when people started to wake
up to what they were doing.
Some have yet to wake up.  So I can only suppose that in the beginning
it was a democratically formed republic.  Today the word "Democratic"
has been twisted and bent to shape various agendas of many governments.

From: LShaping <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:37:56 GMT

"Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 10:25:39 -0700, "Stephen S. Edwards II"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > "LShaping" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > *sigh*
>> >
>> > I find it quite amazing that we live in an age where
>> > people actually complain about convenience.  Go fig.
>>
>> If I use Start -> Shutdown -> Shutdown my machine shuts down and powers
>off
>> so fast that at the next switch on Scandisk goes through its thing and
>gives
>> me a row. (Win98).
>>
>> On windows 2000 it shagged it good and proper.
>"winnt\system32\config\system
>> is missing or corrupted".
>>
>> Reiserfs seems to have survived so far...
>>
>> I now select restart and switch the UPS off when the reboot starts.
>
>I love stories likes these from the (your pick) a) incompetent or b) liars

or...
c) someone who has turned on his computer

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Will MS get away with this one?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:58:10 -0700

JamesW wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > That's as maybe, but Apple's behaviour suggests that given the opportunity
> > they'd be the Mafia twice over. Anyone who sues over the "Qube" has to have
> > megalomaniac tendencies.
> >

> Er - weren't Apple the ones threatened with legal action by Cobalt over
> the 'Qube'?
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2609260,00.html

It seems Apple is threatened with a law suit... but over a simple look
of a square block?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Kennel)
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:02:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:36:48 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:drsquare wrote:
:>
:> On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 10:22:30 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
:>  (Sky King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
:>
:> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
:>
:> >> >Really?  Methods used to study the transmission of other STDs don't work
:> >> >with AIDS?  Why is that?
:> >>
:> >> For a start, AIDS is not an STD.
:> >>
:> >Aids can be and is transmitted sexually. sky
:>
:> No it can't.
:
:AIDS is merely the name for the SYMPTOMS which were later found to
:be cause EXCLUSIVELY by the HIV virus.
:
:Therefore AIDS and HIV are two sides of the same coin.
:
:Do you know of _any_ other disease where the pathogen and the symptoms
:of infection by said pathogne are considered SEPERATE issues?

gastric ulcer

--
*        Matthew B. Kennel/Institute for Nonlinear Science, UCSD
*

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:03:17 -0700

Woofbert wrote:

> In article <9gkgt2$91e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > Well, I can't be a judge yet, but I have read the thread on smart-tags.
> > > But I know nothing about the smart tags.  If I have a vax using netscape
> > > 3.0 will I still be able to view all of the contents of a web page with
> > > smart-tags on it??
> > > Just making sure.
> >
> > Yes, NS will ignore all tags that it doesn't understand.
> > At least it should ignore them.
>
> The SmartTags aren't necessarily in the web pages. What some of us here
> object to is the SmartTags that are stored in the browser's own files.
> They're put there by Microsoft, and presumably could be updated over the
> Internet. These tags are added to web pages by the browser itself,
> without the knowledge or consent of the web page author.

Sounds like another lawsuit coming up to me!
May even hit the DOJ docket.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:07:04 -0700

Woofbert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, drsquare
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:40:43 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >  (Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> > >Infernsoft would be better.
> >
> > What's Infernsoft?
>
> I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
>
> Or you could check out the web site.
>
> --
> Woofbert: Chief Rocket Surgeon, Infernosoft
> email <woofbert at infernosoft dot com>
> web http://www.infernosoft.com/woofbert

Nice Logo. :-)