Nick Lanham wrote:
On 02/14/2012 06:49 PM, thijs van severen wrote:
i must say that i agree with Sebastian (yes, i am biased ;-) You might end up rewriting a part hydrogen. Maybe not at first, but gradually the number of feature requests will go up and you might end up doing duplicate work. There is nothing wrong with that of course, but it just doesnt seem like the most efficient way to go. On the other hand i am also _very_ much a fan of the plugin model rather than individual apps that are glued together using some type of session manager... I'm no programmer, and i do realize that it takes more than a one-liner to but -allow me to dream for a second- would it not be great if we could combine the effort that goes into various apps that all do more-or-less the same thing ?
grtz
Thijs

Yes, I'm very aware that I'm duplicating a certain amount of hydrogen effort here. I'd love it if hydrogen had a nice api to plug it into a module like this, and I know there's already an effort to turn hydrogen into an lv2 plugin (composite). However, the sad fact is that at the moment, there's nothing that fills the niche the DrMr is in (composite is similar but has no real control interface). So yeah, a libhydrogen would be great, with all the code to read hydrogen files and load up drum kit data, and somehow play/process samples, and DrMr and Hydrogen and anything else could share that, but I somehow don't see that coming anytime soon (unless someone who knows the hydrogen codebase better than I wants to tackle it).
Hi Nick!

You're always invited to discuss the technical details on the hydrogen development list, as i think they don't really belong here. We have already a very modular architecture, and i believe that it would be possible to create a shared lib for the reading of drumkits without big trouble. The playing/processing samples part is definitely more complicated.
- Sebastian