Am 13.12.2012 07:35, schrieb David Robillard:
On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 07:08 +0100, hermann meyer wrote:
Am 13.12.2012 04:15, schrieb David Robillard:
On Wed, 2012-12-12 at 21:34 +0000, Chris Cannam wrote:
On 11 December 2012 16:31, David Robillard<d...@drobilla.net>   wrote:
Looks like you are building against a static library. Since you are building
a shared module, pedantically you can't do this
A static library is just a pile of object files. Of course you can
build a shared object against them. The problem is just that the
objects in this particular static library were built without PIC.
Well, yes, "pedantically" was not quite the right word.  It is more of a
sweeping generalization.

If you're building them yourself, ensure they're PIC, and it will work,
but it's reasonable to expect static libraries from elsewhere to be
non-PIC, particularly things that aim to be small since PIC code is
larger.

So if I add -fPIC to the static lib build flags for libgxw/mm, it will
work on 64bit also?
Right now I prefer the static build, as long no other application or
plug use it.
Yes, you should be able to link a shared library to a static library
compiled as PIC even on 64-bit.  Hence the "recompile with -fPIC"
message from the linker :)
Thanks for confirm it.

Probably fine if it's part of the same build process, maybe not so much
if it's from another package.  If it is, on Lignux at least, plugins
depending on shared libraries isn't really a big deal anyway.

-dr

Well, just if packagers like to split the package, which they often like to do :-) , it will be handy to reduce the dependency. So that the LV2 plug is installable even if guitarix itself isn't installed.
As long libgxw/mm only lives in the guitarix package.
As well, the plug just use a small amount of the lib, so we can avoid loading it, even if it increase the plug-so.size So I will add the flag, and anyone could decide self what build method is preferred.

regards
hermann