On 01/21/2014 04:31 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 16:16 +0000, Filipe Coelho wrote:

How do you backup an installed application?
Using another Linux install (a live media would be ok too) I backup my
complete Linux DAW.

hm, so you're saying users should boot a live media everytime they want to compile some software?

For a new Linux user, I understand this is when they start thinking
about going back...
Going back to where? Are you talking about users who first used Apple or
Microsoft based systems?

Yes, Linux is still only 1-2% of global pc users.
It should be expected that most new Linux users come from other OSes.

2. Even if people come from e.g. Windows, why did they
decide to switch, if they like it e.g. the Windows way?

Everyone will have different reasons.
Speaking for myself, I wanted to try something different and also stop with the piracy.

starting to clone e.g. Windows is the wrong way.

I believe this too. Each OS works in different ways.

My post is not about this though.
It's about new linux users are having a very hard time getting new software to work for them.

Subscribe to *buntu list, if somebody has got a problem

I still have issues with mailing lists...
I never liked them, and don't believe I ever will.

I might be wrong on this, but I believe most "non-techie" users have never used mailing lists (or even IRC).
It was surely a surprise to me at first.