"David Gerard Matthews Jr." wrote:

> I run a really stripped-down Blackbox when doing audio work.  For
> general tasks (websurfing, etc.) I usually use Gnome, but as you pointed
> out, it's way too bloated for audio (and KDE is even worse). Some people
> also like XFCE or IceWM.
> -dgm

Could someone please elaborate on why KDE is too bloated for audio.  I'm
using KDE with 256MB and two 400 MHz processors and X averages about 10%
of system memory and about 1% of CPU usage.  For "real-time" audio apps,
I would think the main issue would be appropriate use of OS facilities
(e.g. scheduling, interrupts, etc.), and I don't see how downgrading
your window manager will do anything more than make available a few more
megs and clock cycles.

I suppose if you're really doing real-time programming and don't want to
have as many low priority tasks to worry about, of course it's easier to
have a light-weight window manager, or better, no window manager, but
are there other significant advantages?

Please inform...