Isn't Timidity able to load SF2 banks? Maybe that's a solution for you? If the
soundfonts could be loaded/unloaded dynamically like in Windows API you could just
load new soundfont bank when it's needed and unload when it's no more / not yet needed
to save memory. If you don't like SF2 format also the DLS or DLS2 formats are
available (you'll get specs from www.midi.org).

IMHO it's better to build a pure MIDI tracker (for Windows I haven't yet found a
pattern-based MIDI sequencer like the one on Ensoniq EPS/+/ASR/ESQ samplers/synths
which I've also used live, it's simply great) and send the BANK LOAD and BANK UNLOAD
commands from the sequencer as SYSEX data to the synth part of application.
-Mikko