On 04/09/04 01:51:53, Clinton Ebadi wrote:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html . You are a bit off track, the
section on "Common Misunderstandings of the GPL" will get you back on
track. Putting the code on an FTP server is not enough. It is easier to
include the source on a CD with the binaries and also make it possible
for any third party to order the source code CD via mail for the cost of
the disc and postage.

Putting the source up on an FTP server (provided it's publically known about and announced and whatnot) is fine, you just need to include an _offer_ to mail a CD with the source code. Noone is actually going to order it anyway if it's on FTP.

I'd say suggesting this (including the offer) to companies is a better idea than saying they need to include a bunch of crap on their distribution CD's, or even worse an entire seperate CD (which costs money, and thus pisses companies off).

I'm as militant a GPL nazi as you can get, and personally I think putting the code up on a FTP server follows the spirit of the GPL nicely. In fact, not having the source code for download would constitute a pain in the ass IMO.

But technically yes, the offer (or a source CD) should be included with the product.

-Dave