carmen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> I currently just blindly try to launch the decoder for either ogg, speex or
>> mp3 in series. I'd like to add flac...
>
> a simple way - how about assuming files are properly named, eg theres no
> files matching *.ogg which are actually .wav format?

Sorry, but this kind of behaviour is way too microsoftian for
me.  File extensions lie! :-)  Besides, yatm should ideally be
able to stream data at some point in the future, and streams
can be named anything sometimes.

> although in the major web browsers a .gif saved with .jpg extension
> always loads without error..maybe good to check how xmms or similar
> handles this situation..
Yes, I'll look into other audio players sources...

>> wondering, is there a reliable way to detect a audio streams file
>> format just given some bits of the header?  So that I could set the
>
> InfoAudio ( ftp://ftp.tsp.ece.mcgill.ca//pub/AFsp/AFsp-v8r1.tar.gz ) is quite
> useful mainly for all the differing .wav bitrates/formats/endiannesses but
> maybe libsndfile already takes care of that.. for a mp3 it just says
> "AFfindType - Unsupported audio file type: MPEG-1 Layer III". and it doesnt
> even provide that much info for ogg or FLAC.. i still like it though
>
> it would be great if there was truly one solution to this, on Mac you just
> use coreaudio API, on windows, you use ACM codec, but it seems each linux app
> has to independently support and depend on flac/ogg/speex/wav/etc libs, ad
> nauseum..
Yes, a mega-libsndfile would be very cute.

--
CYa,
  Mario