I think Hannu annoyed a few of us by stating that ALSA is designed by hackers.

There is absolutely no question in my mind that ALSA is designed by professionals.
True. However... there are definitely some hackish aspects to the alsa project. On numerous occasions I have found the files created by alsactl for my ice1712's to break from version to version of ALSA. Then I have to check what the mixer settings where, reset them manually, and run alsactl store again. Lame. The plugin infrastructure seems to often be variously broken... except for the sample rate & bit rate plugin... and perhaps dmix. I was able to get dshare working pretty well once... but an alsa upgrade broke that.

But... it's gratis & libre & generally works great under Jack. So... Thank you ALSA Team!

If you ask me... I would recommend that the alsa team drop all of the ambitions plugin stuff (except sampl rate & bit rate) and focus on building the most stable & broadly supported hardware abstraction for jack.