El Tue, 9 Dec 2008 13:09:51 -0500, "Lee Trager" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió:

> It does seem that doing it with volumes would limit user control and add
> lots of complexity to such a simple task.

IMHO, WRT compression it's the contrary. Compression on a per-file basis has
never been very succesful (just look at how many windows users use it)
because it implies taking a decision for every file on the system. OTOH,
volume-level is just a single option to be enabled.

I'm of course not arguing that file-level compression shouldn't be possible,
im just saying that is way more difficult to administer and that most people
(including sysadmins) is most likely to use compression in a per-volume basis.