Hi there,

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Oliver Mattos
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It looks to me like if all the attributes were per file, and files
> automatically inherited settings from the parent, and users weren't
> allowed to change inherited permissions (only root could), then you
> could get the same effect as per volume controls.
>
> The above could be enforced at the option of the sysAdmin\distro.
>
> On the other hand if the attributes are per volume then you can't
> individually set attributes for individual files unless you create one
> volume per file, which doesn't sound like a clean solution.
>
> As far as I can see, all the use cases that call for per-volume
> configuration are also satisfied by per file configuration with
> inheritance, but not vice versa.

You have convinced me.
If this works with default inheritance enabled, so that not only
child/leaf files of a dir tree get the dir setting, but also new
files, then, it fits my usage model and "wanted" features :)

> An example where I would want compressed and uncompressed files in the
> same folder is where I have a Virtual Machine with two disks, each
> stored in a disk image on a btrfs partition - disk 1 is the root
> filesystem and compressed to save space, since it contains a lot of
> "zero" bytes, but disk 2 is the virtual swap disk, which isn't
> compressed due to needing fast low overhead access.  Since both files
> are associated with the same virtual machine I want to keep them in the
> same folder on the same volume.

That's a good realistic scenario were per-volume settings indeed fail
to behave "properly".

--
Miguel Sousa Filipe