On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    > Or make --sync the default behavior.  This is probably what most
>    > people are expecting anyway (similar to how standard filesystem
>    > commands like "rm" work).  Add an --aysnc option for those that
>    > only care about knowing when the subvolume is taken out of the
>    > tree.
>
> Yeah.  We've also talked about making snapshot _creation_ perform an
> FS sync first by default, since otherwise you get a snapshot with stale
> files, or without files that existed (not yet on disk) at creation-time.

Actually, that was fixed in 2.6.34 (0bdb1db2).  Creating a snapshot syncs
all dirty data and metadata to disk, so you get a fully consistent point
in time snapshot.  No 'sync' is necessary (and doing a 'sync' yourself
would be racy any).

For subvolume removal, racing doesn't seem like an issue.  Why not just
do

# btrfs subvolume delete /path/to/subvolume1
# btrfs subvolume delete /path/to/subvolume2
# ...
# sync

?
sage