On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 09:25, Ric Wheeler <rwhee...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Second question is why is checking in /sys a big deal, would  you prefer an
> interface like we did for alignment in libblkid?

It's about knowing what's behind the 'nodev' major == 0 of a btrfs
mount. There is no way to get that from /sys or anywhere else at the
moment.

Usually filesystems backed by a disk have the dev_t of the device, or
the fake block devices like md/dm/raid have their own major and the
slaves/ directory pointing to the devices.

This is not only about readahead, it's every other tool, that needs to
know what kind of disks are behind a btrfs 'nodev' major == 0 mount.

Kay