On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 15:31, Hugo Mills <hugo-l...@carfax.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:19:45PM -0500, Chris Ball wrote:
>> == Changing RAID levels ==
>>
>> We need ioctls to change between different raid levels.  Some of these
>> are quite easy -- e.g. for RAID0 to RAID1, we just halve the available
>> bytes on the fs, then queue a rebalance.
>
>   I would be interested in the rebalancing ioctls, and in RAID level
> management. I'm still very much trying to learn the basics, though, so
> I may go very slowly at first...
>
>   Hugo.

Can I suggest we combine this new RAID level management with a
modernisation of the terminology for storage redundancy, as has been
discussed previously in the "Raid1 with 3 drives" thread of March this
year? I.e. abandon the burdened raid* terminology in favour of
something that makes more sense for a filesystem.

Mostly this would involve a discussion about what terms would make
most sense, though some changes in the behaviour of btrfs redundancy
modes may be warranted if they make things more intuitive.

I could help you make these changes in your patches, or write my own
patches against yours, though I'm also completely new to kernel
development.

Best regards,

Bart