On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 02:19:04AM +0100, Spelic wrote:
> >CPU can handle considerably more than 250 block hashings per
> >second. You could argue that this changes in cases of sequential
> >I/O on big files, but a 1.86GHz GHz Core2 can churn through
> >111MB/s of SHA256, which even SSDs will struggle to keep up with.
>
> A normal 1TB disk with platters can do 130MB/sec sequential, no problems.
> A SSD can do more like 200MB/sec write 280MB/sec read sequential or
> random and is actually limited only by the SATA 3.0gbit/sec but soon
> enough they will have SATA/SAS 6.0gbit/sec.

  By “soon enough” you really meant “a year ago”, I think:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3812/the-ssd-diaries-crucials-realssd-c300
Current 6Gbps SSD are doing 415 MB/s sequential:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4086/microns-realssd-c400-uses-25nm-nand-at-161gb-offers-415mbs-reads
or even claim 550MB/s:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4100/ocz-vertex-pro-3-demo-worlds-first-sandforce-sf2000
(funny bit: Sandforce SSD controllers dedup internally).

  Anyway, 6Gbps is not a future tale, but something long available.
And not the fastest kids on the block:  currently build filesystems
must deal storage providing many gigabytes per second.  Think
of massive disk arrays or stuff like Oracle F5100, claiming
12.8GB/sec read and ~10GB/s write (in one rack unit).

--
Tomasz Torcz                 "God, root, what's the difference?"
xmpp: zdzich...@chrome.pl         "God is more forgiving."