cac...@quantum-sci.com wrote:
> On /dev/sda I have sda1 which is my / bootable filesystem for Debian
> formatted ext4.  This is 256MB on a 2TB drive.
>
> I want to set up the rest of the drive as BTRFS for various functions, and I
> presume that I first have to create a partition using fdisk for this?  Since
> my first part is ext4?  So I:
> # fdisk /dev/sda
> WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk
> doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Do exactly as you are instructed here.  Use parted.  fdisk doesn't
support GPT partition tables, only MS-DOS tables.

# parted /dev/sda
GNU Parted 2.3
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) []

Now, type "help" if you are stumped.  Or perhaps "man parted".  Or even
use gparted since that's the graphical version and much easier to drive.

Regards,
Mike