On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 04:14:46PM -0500, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> (Asking this question on this list kinda makes me wonder if there shouldn't be
> a btrfs-users list where folks could ask questions just like this without
> pestering developers...)
>
> Anyway -- I had a root partition with a /snapshots directory, in which I
> placed
> a bunch of snapshots.  At one point, I goofed stuff up, and decided to revert
> my root (using "btrfs sub set-default") to one of the snapshots.  Rebooted,
> and
> it worked great -- just like I'd hoped.
>
> But where'd the snapshots in /snapshots go?

   Where they always were -- it's just that you've mounted a different
bit of the filesystem, so you can't see them. :)

> I mean, I still see them if I do a "btrfs sub list", but how do I *get* to
> them
> for, say, deleting?  (I can still mount them via "-o subvolid", but that's not
> quite the same thing.)

   If you've got subvolumes outside your mounted filesystem, then you
can either reach them by mounting via subvolid, or by mounting the
top-level subvolume with subvolid=0 (on, say, /media/btrfs-top) and
then navigating through that to the subvolume you want.

   See (my) recommended filesystem structure on the wiki[1].

   Hugo.

http://btrfs.ipv5.de/index.php?title=SysadminGuide#Managing_snapshots

  --- There are three things you should never see being made: laws, ---
                        standards,  and sausages.