Hello Ralf-Peter,

Actually it is possible. Check out David's response to my question from some time ago:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/14227

The nocow.c script he attached does just the thing you want. The script is really working. I needed nocow for different purpose but it did not occur to me to try it on VM image and see if the performance would improve. Sounds like a great idea. If you get around to try it, pls. post your impressions here.

best
~dima