On 02/13/2012 05:09 PM, Roman Mamedov wrote:
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:40:03 +0900
dima<dole...@parallels.com>  wrote:

Hello Ralf-Peter,

Actually it is possible. Check out David's response to my question from
some time ago:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/14227

The nocow.c script he attached does just the thing you want. The script
is really working. I needed nocow for different purpose but it did not
occur to me to try it on VM image and see if the performance would
improve. Sounds like a great idea. If you get around to try it, pls.
post your impressions here.

Thanks for the link, this is indeed interesting.

I made a couple of small changes, i.e. I wanted a way to unset nocow and to
check that changing flags really worked.

gcc -o /usr/local/bin/nocow nocow.c
ln -sf /usr/local/bin/nocow /usr/local/bin/cow

Perhaps the support for setting this flag should be added to the 'btrfs'
utility.

Cool. Thanks Roma!
I really wanted the feature to 'unset' the nocow and check the current state of flags. Will check it out today. I also think that it should definitely be included into the userspace btrfs utilities.
best
~dima