On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 09:31:09PM -0500, Jérôme Poulin wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Ilya Dryomov <idryo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is a respin of restriper patch series which adds an initial
> > implementation of restriper (it's a clever name for relocation framework
> > that allows to do selective profile changing and selective balancing
> > with some goodies like pausing/resuming and reporting progress to the
> > user).  See userspace cover patch for usage examples.
>
> I just tried merging this on my kernel 3.2.1 and it seems to work
> nicely. I compiled your btrfs-progs, made an LVM snapshot and launched
> a balance on my 300 GB filesystem converted from ext4. It worked for
> converting my metadata from single to dup, however, it didn't succeed
> converting my system from single to dup.
>
> Here is the command I used:
> root /usr/src/kernel/btrfs-progs # ./btrfs balance start -f -v
> -sconvert=dup -mconvert=dup /mnt/btrfs/
> Dumping filters: flags 0xe, state 0x0, force is on
>   METADATA (flags 0x100): converting, target=32, soft is off
>   SYSTEM (flags 0x100): converting, target=32, soft is off
> Done, had to relocate 28 out of 220 chunks
>
> Then tried:
> root /usr/src/kernel/btrfs-progs # ./btrfs balance start -f -v
> -sconvert=dup /mnt/btrfs/
> Dumping filters: flags 0xa, state 0x0, force is on
>   SYSTEM (flags 0x100): converting, target=32, soft is off
> Done, had to relocate 0 out of 239 chunks

Yeah, that's known.  The old balancing code wasn't allowed to relocate
chunk 0 and always skipped it.  I decided to keep that limitation, it
will be lifted (or otherwise fixed) shortly.

Just to be sure, could you please paste the output of
`btrfs-debug-tree -d <your device>' somewhere ?

Thanks,

                Ilya