On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Cesar Inacio Martins
<cesar_inacio_mart...@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> My problem:
> * Using btrfs + compression , flush of 60 MB/s take 4 minutes....
> (on this 4 minutes they keep constatly I/O of +- 4MB/s no disks)
> (flush from Informix database)

> * OpenSuse 12.1 64bits, running over VmWare ESXi 5
> * Btrfs version : btrfsprogs-0.19-43.1.2.x86_64
> * Kernel : Linux jdivm06 3.1.10-1.16-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 27

> My question, what I believed will help to avoid this long flush :
> * Have some way to force this flush all in memory cache and then use the
> btrfs background process to flush to disk ...
>   Security and recover aren't a priority for now, because this is part of a
> database bulkload ...after finish , integrity will be desirable (not a
> obligation, since this is a test environment)
>
> For now, performance is the mainly requirement...

I suggest you start by reading
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg18827.html

After that, PROBABLY start your database by preloading libeatmydata to
disable fsync completely.

On a side note, zfs has "sync" property, which when set to "disabled",
have pretty much the same effect as libeatmydata.

--
Fajar