On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Gene Czarcinski <g...@czarc.net> wrote:
> OK, I think I have gotten the message that this is a bad idea as implemented
> and that it should be dropped as such.  I believe that there are some things
> ("btrfs fi show" comes to mind) which will need root and I am going to
> explore doing something for that case.  And it also might be reasonable for
> some situations to issue the message about root if something errors-out.

Eh?  That's one of the clearest cases where you _may not_ need root.

cwillu@cwillu-home:~$ groups
cwillu adm dialout cdrom audio video plugdev mlocate lpadmin admin sambashare
cwillu@cwillu-home:~$ btrfs fi show /dev/sda3
failed to read /dev/sda
failed to read /dev/sda1
failed to read /dev/sda2
failed to read /dev/sda3
failed to read /dev/sdb
Btrfs v0.19-152-g1957076

cwillu@cwillu-home:~$ sudo addgroup cwillu disk
cwillu@cwillu-home:~$ su cwillu

cwillu@cwillu-home:~$ groups
cwillu adm disk dialout cdrom audio video plugdev mlocate lpadmin
admin sambashare
cwillu@cwillu-home:~$ btrfs fi show /dev/sda3
Label: none  uuid: ede59711-6230-474f-992d-f1e3deeddab7
        Total devices 1 FS bytes used 72.12GB
        devid    1 size 104.34GB used 104.34GB path /dev/sda3

Btrfs v0.19-152-g1957076