On 1/24/13 1:42 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 1/24/13 11:57 AM, Goffredo Baroncelli wrote:
>>>
>>> There is a new momentum to improve the Btrfs-progs quality :)
>>>
>>> IMO, one step is to get rid of the legacy tools and sources. It wastes
>>> time to maintain them and these old tools cause confusion. btrfsctl.c,
>>> btrfs-vol.c and btrfs-show.c are not needed anymore. Please correct me
>>> if there are plans to use these old tools in future Linux distributions.
>>> The "btrfs" tool replaces the legacy "btrfsctl", "btrfs-vol" and
>>> "btrfs-show" tools. Below, the usage text of the old tools is quoted.
>>> All these tasks are also offered in the "btrfs" tool, and this tool is
>>> the newer one.
>>
>> I fully agree: btrfsctl, btrfs-vol, btrfs-show are perfectly replaced by by
>> btrfs. Moreover time to time the patches are more complex than the needing
>> because exists these "legacy" programs.
>>
>> I checked the debian package, and to me seems that there is no need of
>> {btrfsctl,btrfs-vol,btrfs-show}
>
> Hm, they are shipped in the Fedora package.
>
> For backwards compat, could those be turned into shell scripts which invoke
> the btrfs tool?

Turns out anaconda is using btrfsctl for resizing:

class BTRFS(FS):
    _resizefs = "btrfsctl"
    @property
    def resizeArgs(self):
        argv = ["-r", "%dm" % (self.targetSize,), self.device]
        return argv

but that should be trivial to replace w/

    btrfs filesystem resize [devid:][+/-]<newsize>[gkm]|[devid:]max <path>

I'll ping the anaconda guys, don't let this use stop you :)

-Eric