On Thu, 14 Mar 2013, Chris Mason <chris.ma...@fusionio.com> wrote:
> Bad key ordering is pretty rare, and it usually means memory
> corruptions.  Are you reproducing this on the same machine or a
> different one?

I've attached a kernel message log of mounting it on another system (which
incidentally has ECC RAM) running the Debian package of kernel 3.8.2.  The end
result of this was a system on which the sync command blocked in D state
indefinitely and which couldn't be rebooted in any way other than a hardware
reset.

After that I ran btrfsck (which reported lots of errors) and it appeared to
mount correctly.  I haven't yet tried to verify the integrity of the contents.

I've now run memtest86+ on the origin system and it reported some memory
errors.  I'm now in the process of trying to determine what parts of the
hardware failed.

So while the original corrupted filesystem was probably no fault of BTRFS the
fact that another system with no hardware problem failed to operate correctly
after trying to mount it seems to be a bug.

Thanks for your advice.