Am Donnerstag, 14. März 2013 schrieb Norbert Scheibner:
> Am 13.03.2013, 12:31 Uhr, schrieb Swâmi Petaramesh <sw...@petaramesh.org>:
> > Le 13/03/2013 11:56, Bart Noordervliet a écrit :
> >> USB flash drives are rubbish for any filesystem except FAT32 and then
> >> still only gracefully accept large sequential writes. A few years ago
> >> I thought it would be a good idea to put the root partition of a few
> >> of my small Debian servers on USB flash, so that the harddisks could
> >> spin down at night and I could easily prepare and switch a new
> >> Debian-version. However, each and every USB stick got trashed within a
> >> year
> >
> > I have an ARM box that runs a little Debian server (typically an
> > advanced NAS), it uses an USB key as an ext2 root filesystem.
> > Everything but big storage is there, and it's been up and running 24/7
> > for 3+ years without any USB key incident...
>
> The difference is the fs. Ext3 uses a journal which uses always the same
> physical sectors on disc. If the disc is a hard disk, it does not matter,
> rewrites are no problem for platters. If it is an modern SSD, the SSD-
> controller takes care and redirects the writes to different physical
> sectors. USB-sticks have no smart controller and so the writes hit
> always the same physical sector, it's like burning a hole in the flash
> chip. If the commit time is standard for desktops set to 5 seconds, then
> a whole year means a lot of writes to the same sector on an USB-stick.

Are you sure that modern, high quality USB sticks don´t do any wear
leveling?

On some SD cards there is some FAT optimizition in place[1][2]. I.e. good
random access at beginning of drive, where FAT table and thus random I/O
metadata accesses are. Ext3 places metadata elsewhere - I believe in about
the middle of the partition.

[1] Flash memory card design, FAT optimization

https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/KernelArchived/Projects/FlashCardSurvey

[2] Arnd Bergmann, Optimizing Linux with cheap flash drives

https://lwn.net/Articles/428584/