On 2013-08-24 14:30, Sandy McArthur wrote:
I was surprised to find
that I'm not allowed to remove one of the two drives in a RAID1. Kernel
message is "btrfs: unable to go below two devices on raid1" Not allowing it by default makes some sense, however a --force flag or something would be
beneficial.

If you have an USB enclosure you could connect another drive via USB
temporarily.
That said my biggest btrfs problem happened while I had some drives on
SATA and others on USB.

Ah, indeed, a close look at my device names reveals that I claim to only have three SATA ports, but sdc and sdd are used for my btrfs test. The sdb device is in fact an external USB enclosure that I'm using as my data source for the testing.

I'm really just wanting to test what I see as some common use cases for a RAID1 btrfs filesystem. A very common one that seems to fail currently is wishing to preemptively (SMART errors on drive, many other reasons) remove it from the mirror, in order to add a replacement device - and keep things online during the entire process. As I see it now, I'd need to umount, forcibly/uncleanly pull the drive, mount degraded, add the new device, umount, mount cleanly, rebalance and move forward.

I'd like to use btrfs for the data checksumming, however based on my investigations it doesn't appear to be ready for the set of RAID1 support I'd expect. Based on that, I'm relooking at options.

Are there any known gotchas or limitations with a btrfs filesystem with single data and metadata, running on top of an md-raid RAID1 mirror?

Joel